What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Referees Making Up the Rules on the Spot Thread

The_Frog

First Grade
That Trbojovic one was the right call because it looked like a crap pass and it went at least a metre forward when it didnt have to.
Impossible for a mere mortal to tell without complicated equipment and computer software, allowing for variables like wind speed and player speed and direction. If the rule were that the ball had to finish no closer to the opposition dead ball line than when it left the hands, it could be tracked and you'd get a correct answer every time. It would become very difficult to throw a legal pass while running though.

Saxon

Bench
So you just accept a total rugby study as a scientific study. I don't.
You don't just have to accept a total rugby study. How about you accept Newton's Laws of Motion? Or Einstein's Theory of Relativity? People have studied this in detail for hundreds of years, why do you find it so hard?

The other thing is that what you are asking for would ruin the game. Every player running forward needing to ensure the ball was caught behind the point where he passed it? We would have 100 forward pass calls a game and if by some miracle the players overcame a lifetime of training and managed to actually do it League would become a slow, boring game with no smooth sweeping plays and strong defensive teams constantly driving their opponents backwards.

Vee

First Grade
By the way, I don't even agree with that Total Rugby Youtube video.
The guy is always throwing it flat - I still cant see how they are saying he is clearly throwing it legally, they should have added footage of the guy actually trying to throw it backwards to show it can be done in a way that it goes backwards.
That would be because you're stupid.

Vee

First Grade
Your the one getting around here gloating that you can always tell if it is forward or backward out of the hand, that is unadulterated geniusation.
Fair dinkum Sport, you've gone from a quaint eccentric to downright embarrassing with your inability to understand the simplest concepts even when they are explained to you ad nauseum.

typicalfan

Coach
Nah, if it floats forward it is a garbage pass and should be assumed to be forward. It is extremely easy to pass the ball properly so it goes backwards. That is why greater than 90% of passes do in fact go backwards. The only exception is when a ball carrier is on a break and is running flat out straight ahead and has to pass. That is when the benefit of the doubt should go to the pass being backwards. Apart from that so solly, that pass from Manly against Parra that went forward (but was said to have gone backwards out of the hands) was a garbage pass. He had no control over it. Hence it spewed out and drifted.
In the NRL chess championship, you'd be a rook or queen.

Vee

First Grade
If you're arguing with T-boon, you haven't spent enough time on the forum.
Yeah, my bad. Sometimes you get sucked into his vortex of stupidity and you wonder two things - HTF did I get into this conversation and HTF do I get out of it?

T-Boon

Coach
You guys who found out about Newton's laws of physics through this are painful, like born again Christians.

Newton does not say a footballer can't throw a pass so it goes backwards. Or that we all have Vee like abilities to instantly see which direction the ball comes out of the hand.

Trbjebjovic could have thrown his pass so it went backwards from where he threw it.

The rule needs to be if it is caught in front of where it is thrown it should be assumed to be a forward pass unless the ref saw it go backwards out of the hands which would be difficult to see 90% of the time given the angles. If that is the rule the onus is on the passer to pass it so it doesn't go forward in-front of where he passed it.

Alternatively every dubious pass should be reviewed.

You log heads who bitch and moan about the refs and Newton to go watch rugby.

T-Boon

Coach
Yeah, my bad. Sometimes you get sucked into his vortex of stupidity and you wonder two things - HTF did I get into this conversation and HTF do I get out of it?

Aren't you the dopey bastard who said he can tell instantly if every pass is forward or not. Dude those are words of pure idiocy.

gerg

Juniors
Aren't you the dopey bastard who said he can tell instantly if every pass is forward or not. Dude those are words of pure idiocy.

He's got you there Vee. There is no better judge of idiocy on this forum than tboon.

Reactions: Vee

T-Boon

Coach
Expecting a referee to see if a ball went backwards out of the hand before it went a metre forward is stupid.

Meth

Staff member
We had a player penalised for throwing a tackled players boot today. I don’t mind it to be honest.

I also wanted to give a wrap to Peter Gough. Good ref. And I was saying that when we were behind at HT