What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd12: Parra v Bulldogs GAME DAY thread (2/8/20)

crocodile

Bench
He distributes the ball straight away and gives no consideration to running the ball between our own goal line and the next 90 metres of the field... As soon as we're inside the opposition 10 he starts ball playing from acting half. It has worked, don't get me wrong (Stone's try v the Raiders for example) but mostly it's ineffective.

But all of that can't be just Reed's decision making and him playing as he sits fit, there must be some instruction behind that...
I'm not privileged to be in Arthur's inner sanctum. My suspicion is that Arthur knows that Mahoney has a lot more to offer but lacks the experience and practice. He can kick and he can dummy and at the right time he can run. It's just a matter of time and patience to develop to a top notch level. Last season I did see Gutho scream 'run' at him and he did well. He didn't possess the vision of Gutho to pick the right time but executed well enough when asked. All that needs to happen now is to develop that sense now that his distribution and defence is under control. Now that Arthur has the team in the best position it has been for many years it is time to add more skills and perfect them.

Eelementary

Post Whore
The shortest path to the sideline is a flat pass. There's no reason to throw it forward. And it's a penalty that never gets called anyway. This is just a commentator (and official?) grasping at straws or getting caught up in the moment.

I agree.

I'm just saying I heard the touchie (and later on, the commentators) mention it.

It shouldn't have been a penalty.

Although, having said that, in the future, the safest option is probably to just run it into touch...

Eelementary

Post Whore
I'm not privileged to be in Arthur's inner sanctum. My suspicion is that Arthur knows that Mahoney has a lot more to offer but lacks the experience and practice. He can kick and he can dummy and at the right time he can run. It's just a matter of time and patience to develop to a top notch level. Last season I did see Gutho scream 'run' at him and he did well. He didn't possess the vision of Gutho to pick the right time but executed well enough when asked. All that needs to happen now is to develop that sense now that his distribution and defence is under control. Now that Arthur has the team in the best position it has been for many years it is time to add more skills and perfect them.

I agree.

Like Harry Grant, Reed Mahoney is only 22 years old.

I would suspect that Arthur is telling Reed to keep it relatively simple for now, and unleash his creativity once he has more experience.

But that's speculation - I don't know that for a fact.

crocodile

Bench
I agree.

Like Harry Grant, Reed Mahoney is only 22 years old.

I would suspect that Arthur is telling Reed to keep it relatively simple for now, and unleash his creativity once he has more experience.

But that's speculation - I don't know that for a fact.
I don't know either but it makes sense. The Gutho interventions last season and he's definitely trying more this season. He'd be hooked in a heartbeat if he wasn't asked.

Noise

Coach
I don't know either but it makes sense. The Gutho interventions last season and he's definitely trying more this season. He'd be hooked in a heartbeat if he wasn't asked.
Hooked for who? I’m not sure he would be hooked in a heart beat. We don’t have another first grade capable hooker in the whole squad.

lucablight

First Grade
He’s soft as butter. Go watch him defend. He’s happy to hold up players rather then wrestle them to the ground.
He’s top 20 for Post contact metres and 13th for offloads so far this season. He’s only made less than 100m twice this season and that was against Manly and the Dogs today where he had admittedly crap games but that every player has a bad game. The fact is he’s been a huge contributor more often than not.

crocodile

Bench
Hooked for who? I’m not sure he would be hooked in a heart beat. We don’t have another first grade capable hooker in the whole squad.
Maybe not for a single brain fart but for repeated ones he would most certainly be on the outer. Even if it meant a weaker replacement. He's not bigger than the club.

Bandwagon

Staff member
I still think there's a mathematical chance we could miss out. Will be on the edge of my seat in the meantime.

I don't think there is, at least if there is it'd take some crazy as f**k results When you look at the draw, it's near impossible for 6 of the 7 teams below us to finish above us

Noise

Coach
Maybe not for a single brain fart but for repeated ones he would most certainly be on the outer. Even if it meant a weaker replacement. He's not bigger than the club.
We are now into the 3rd game in a row where he has had repeated brain farts. He is in no danger of being dropped.

Latest posts