What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd12: Parra v Bulldogs GAME DAY thread (2/8/20)

Gazzamatta

Coach
I reckon our day of reckoning will be our home game Vrs The Storm. On current form it would take a huge turn around to go with them. The Storm have always bullied us. Other than C. Smith I believe player for player our roster is as good or better. That game will either give us confidence moving forward or the opposite.
Ffs just get it done.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
That's true our chief playmaker (moses) was out, but as we saw with Melb, when Smith went off they still did the job handsomely
They did have a premiership winning Origin half to take up the slack. Who do we have when Moses is off? Two kids and Gutherson

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I actually think if we’re unsuccessful during the finals we will be worse off. We’ve sat in the top 4 for most of the season and there’s an expectation that we will be there at the endgame so if we don’t fulfil those expectations I think that would be incredibly deflating for the team. Look what happened after 2009. We are in a premiership window right now and have to take the opportunity while it’s there.
We need years of consistent success (defined as finishing in or near the top four) to be able to build the team capable of 'guaranteeing' an eventual premiership. A flash in the pan, like the 2005 Tigers, is a poor model to emulate.

You need luck to win a premiership, but the way to maximise your luck is through consistency. We are a chance this year but no guarantee. We should be an even bigger chance next year, but still no guarantee. Youse need to get this through your heads. As for 2022 I'm keen to see whether we'll still be in a premiership window or if the salary cap finally bites us. It's very exciting.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
making top 4 and then the GF qualifier wouId be a successful year I reckon (of course winning wouId be better). That’s a pretty decent improvement from last year.

This squad is in a better place then the 2009 side. Still young with better of improvement and several forwards going into their peak years.
Don't forget the 2009 side finished eighth. That's a better indicator of the quality of their roster than the fact they make a grand final. The proof is that they missed the finals in '08 and 2010.

The team this year will almost certainly finish higher than eighth, plus we were top five last year.

Gronk

Staff member
They can’t take anything off us for a referee mistake (which wasn’t even a mistake. The throw was backwards out of the hands).

Wait ...

main-qimg-cee30b81333a1f4a84d28ae4fa3821f7

Yes I agree.

lucablight

First Grade
We need years of consistent success (defined as finishing in or near the top four) to be able to build the team capable of 'guaranteeing' an eventual premiership. A flash in the pan, like the 2005 Tigers, is a poor model to emulate.

You need luck to win a premiership, but the way to maximise your luck is through consistency. We are a chance this year but no guarantee. We should be an even bigger chance next year, but still no guarantee. Youse need to get this through your heads. As for 2022 I'm keen to see whether we'll still be in a premiership window or if the salary cap finally bites us. It's very exciting.
I wouldn’t say we are a flash in a pan team though. The 2017 and 2019 Eels teams were finals teams. The 2016 Eels team would have made it as well if they hadn’t been stripped of points. Wouldn’t you say that’s sufficient time to work towards a premiership window?

84 Baby

Referee
I reckon our day of reckoning will be our home game Vrs The Storm. On current form it would take a huge turn around to go with them. The Storm have always bullied us. Other than C. Smith I believe player for player our roster is as good or better. That game will either give us confidence moving forward or the opposite.
Ffs just get it done.
Absolutely. Not to the point that it’s our grand final but we need to aim up. It’ll be around the time where we need to start moving towards our peak

chiefy1

Juniors
They did have a premiership winning Origin half to take up the slack. Who do we have when Moses is off? Two kids and Gutherson

Good poiont Pau Pau. When you look at that way our spine is still very raw. I don't think we can ask much more of the team over the season thus far, & a few inconsistent games are the product of the team's maturity.

Once Drown is a year or two wiser, he would easily take over the reigns in moses's absence & Mahoney would also be more dominant. It's a team on the rise and I believe it's between us & Penrith who are in the best position future wise.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I wouldn’t say we are a flash in a pan team though. The 2017 and 2019 Eels teams were finals teams. The 2016 Eels team would have made it as well if they hadn’t been stripped of points. Wouldn’t you say that’s sufficient time to work towards a premiership window?
I'd say the 2018 spoon indicated a significant reset.

Gazzamatta

Coach
There isnt a player in our top 13 who isnt capable of Origin except possibly Lane and Waqa but even those two have produced Origin quality at some point. Of our imports Drown will most likely make the Kiwi team and Sivo was last seasons top try scorer.
We have the cattle.
We are fitter than we have been for years and our middle "D" is much improved thanks to RCG and Matto.
No f'n excuses.

IFR33K

Coach
You mean like the Roosters who have won their last 2 games against bottom teams by 1 try and then by only penalty goals...

Sugarcoat it all you like, but we are no comparison to the roosters. Why do fans get cut when someone says the truth. Just like gus, he’s 100% spot on.

Latest posts