What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RD12 Vs Sea Eagles

martielang

Bench
Ivan's not one for taking huge leaps like playing a 20 y/o rookie out of position but surely even he's not conservative enough to pick Sauce over Staines.

Really? Nailed on Sauce keeps his position. Sauce has been great & It’s not as if we were losing prior to Staines coming in.

Staines looks something special but can't see them changing a winning formula (& a balanced team) a month out from the finals.

franklin2323

Immortal
Really? Nailed on Sauce keeps his position. Sauce has been great & It’s not as if we were losing prior to Staines coming in.

Staines looks something special but can't see them changing a winning formula (& a balanced team) a month out from the finals.

And in most measures Mansour is going well. It is just lack of speed as to why others want him gone

age.s

First Grade

Mansour isn't playing that badly though. Certainly nothing to say to be dropped. It will take an injury

I mean if you don't want a winning formula changed then it's To'o who misses out. Which is think is a more reasonable take than the idea of a fit Staines warming the bench after scoring 6 tries in his first 100 odd minutes of FG.

Look, I'm a big fan of all our wingers and I'm someone who values the tough to quantify things like experience, loyalty and hard meters coming off our line. I love Sauce and think he adds plenty of value to the team, but the reality is that one of our wingers is going to be hard done by in a few weeks no matter what we do. I don't think I've ever seen a rookie demand selection like Staines has, so I'd have thought it'd be one of the other two making way. Ivan could of course feel differently.

Nice problem to have though.

betcats

Referee
And in most measures Mansour is going well. It is just lack of speed as to why others want him gone

Speed is massive weapon especially on a kid with the class of Staines, his acceleration and passing will make him a game breaker, if there are no concerns about his health you can’t leave that out. He has more skill then Sauce not just more speed and he holds his own on the tough hit ups.

The_Frog

First Grade
I love Sauce and think he adds plenty of value to the team, but the reality is that one of our wingers is going to be hard done by in a few weeks no matter what we do.
Ivan has shown how he thinks (and was proven correct) with the halves. You don't just change your direction because a shiny new thing comes along.

He has more skill then Sauce not just more speed and he holds his own on the tough hit ups.

Haven't noticed him doing all that much last ditch defence on our line.

The Realist

Juniors
I would much prefer Staines and To'o to Mansour. Mansour will be preferred to Staines by IC though for obvious reasons. If only Charlie had that exdra 5-7 kg of muscle to protect him from injury he'd be a shoe in.

I think we can all agree though that this year has got to be the last year that Mansour and Whare can be considered in our Top 17.

Fangs

Coach
I think we can all agree though that this year has got to be the last year that Mansour and Whare can be considered in our Top 17.

No doubt about it.

I won't be surprised if Sauce retires this year. Will get a chance to go out on top with a premiership as well.

The Realist

Juniors

The two primary jobs of a winger is to field kicks and score tries. He is medoicre at best at the 1st, and is very poor in the 2nd measure. Metres up the field is a secondary measure and is really the job of forwards - which they are doing.

To'o is just as good at making metres, is a little quicker and has a great knack for scoring tries. He also has a lower error/brain snap rate and so far seems to be a bit better at defending also.

The_Frog

First Grade
The two primary jobs of a winger is to field kicks and score tries. He is medoicre at best at the 1st, and is very poor in the 2nd measure. Metres up the field is a secondary measure and is really the job of forwards - which they are doing.

To'o is just as good at making metres, is a little quicker and has a great knack for scoring tries. He also has a lower error/brain snap rate and so far seems to be a bit better at defending also.
Mansour has changed the winger role. He is an extra forward. Lots of others are following suit. I know he's too slow to be a winger, but I'll bet he's in the 30 (or 28) man squad next year even if he's a back-up.

Whare looks to be near the end of the line.

GongPanther

Referee
To all the naysayers....if we played so badly [ ie not perfect ] which team this weekend played better?
My only gripe was with the clueless attack we seem to adopt when we are near the opposition's 20m. We should have put at least three more tries on them as at times we were attacking the line, and we were getting in the road of each other.

Against better sides, we need to be better prepared.

GongPanther

Referee
Mansour isn't playing that badly though. Certainly nothing to say to be dropped. It will take an injury
Mansour has been sound for the club. But his brain explosions have to be put to rest, or he is one stupid move away from blowing a Penrith game when we play in the finals.

franklin2323

Immortal

How many tries have we blown due to Mansour being slow? Look at Crichton's tries the last few weeks. He is going through untouched. So Staines doesn't nessarily get more tries

Edwards
Naden
Crichton
To'o

are locked in.

Look at the defence stats. Mansour is epic and given teams will attack that side to tire out Kikau and expose the rookies in Crichton and Luai...Then I want to see more from Staines before he comes in

martielang

Bench

That's a pretty simplistic view of wingers though IMO. Every team is balanced differently, his lack of tries clearly isn't a huge issue for us as we're comfortable winning most games & he's one of the first picked every week. If it was his primary job, he wouldn't be anywhere near our starting side. As for kicks, I think he's improved that aspect of his game tenfold this year.

With the ball in attacking areas it's clearly a no contest between him & Staines, so I'm not arguing that, but Staines has still only played 100 mins of football & hasn't been tested defensively or bringing the ball back. Mansour this year, he's been terrific in both areas. He also seems an integral part of the team to me. Punting him would do a lot of harm to the team chemistry / comradery.

My only gripe was with the clueless attack we seem to adopt when we are near the opposition's 20m. We should have put at least three more tries on them as at times we were attacking the line, and we were getting in the road of each other.

Against better sides, we need to be better prepared.

To be fair, we did cross the stripe on two further occasions without reward. The first with Staines near attempt to ground the ball from the kick early in the game before eventually scoring two tries, and when Kikau was held up in what was a good tackle by DCE.

Obviously, we’d be talking about the 50+ score line had both been scored.

betcats

Referee
That's a pretty simplistic view of wingers though IMO. Every team is balanced differently, his lack of tries clearly isn't a huge issue for us as we're comfortable winning most games & he's one of the first picked every week. If it was his primary job, he wouldn't be anywhere near our starting side. As for kicks, I think he's improved that aspect of his game tenfold this year.

With the ball in attacking areas it's clearly a no contest between him & Staines, so I'm not arguing that, but Staines has still only played 100 mins of football & hasn't been tested defensively or bringing the ball back. Mansour this year, he's been terrific in both areas. He also seems an integral part of the team to me. Punting him would do a lot of harm to the team chemistry / comradery.

I don’t know about the chemistry/comradery point, it’s certainly something for the coaches to consider but I can’t imagine Josh spitting the dummy and causing an issue if it happened and Charlie seems like he is popular with the team. Crichton pretty much took Nadens spot at left centre and on the weekend they had their own 5 minute long handshake after Naden scored.

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
As we all were, very happy with this performance.

There were suggestions else the Sea Eagles didn’t turn up.

I didn’t see any lack of effort from them we were just for too good our forwards laid the platform, and the backs did the rest.

Kev07

Juniors
Steins now confirmed out for 4 weeks. He also mentioned he's had past problems with his hamstrings.
https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/08/03/pretty-dumb-black-mark-wont-leave-stain-on-charlies-resume/

Although I'd love to see him back asap,his long term management of his injury should be priority.

It's best the club doesn't rush him back too quick,he has a huge future ahead of him.
Even if they kept the Ferrari on ice til we make the finals.

https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2020/08/03/injury-update-charlie-staines/

Last edited:

Latest posts