What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

hazzbeen

Bench
Our club needs to bite the bullet and strike for 2021 as they cannot keep McGregor on plus Flanno will not be available until 2022.
Perfect scenario would be offer Nathan Brown the head coaching position on a 1 year contract only. Then in 2022 he becomes Football Manager of the Dragons, overseeing coaching, pathways & recruitment with Shane Flanagan as Head Coach.

That way we can get rid of the 2 Peanut M&M’s (McGregor & Millward)

The position for Brown would be a promotion and give him total responsibility to rebuild our club.
He’s a Dragon at heart and understands the steps to rebuild a club from the ground up.

Over to you Ryan.....!
Im afraid that , if they have made a deal with Flanno to take over , Mary will see out his contract ..... Sad situation ......

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Im afraid that , if they have made a deal with Flanno to take over , Mary will see out his contract ..... Sad situation ......

It wouldn't surprise me, given the revent 'bending' of the rules by the NRL, that they went in and had another crack at getting it overturned.

thebigredv

First Grade
Which is why I am looking for club-based evidence and avoiding Buzz.

If you are correct, I wouldn’t lose any sleep, but when the article says they are looking to:

“arrest their return to irrelevancy”

in the early part of the article, it’s a smack in the head for Mary.

The message is clearly that they are playing badly and indeed, had played badly previously.

Which is not something the board would normally tolerate at a similar juncture, unless couched in support and loyalty cliche.

There’s no disguising this condemnation, in my view, no way Webby would let this through without a wink and a nod from someone up high.

But we are not dealing with rational people, I appreciate that.

didn't see the article, mate, is there a link?

getsmarty

Immortal
Paul McGregor feeling the heat as rumours of ‘unrest’ at Dragons return
NRL Premiership
mark_st_john.jpg

d188bc7881f3fadd3f62baaeff0a09cf

Dragons coach Paul McGregor is again under pressure.Source: AAP
St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor is again under pressure after a two-game losing streak, with Phil Rothfield reporting rumours of unrest at the club.

After a mid-season revival that saw them win four from six games, the Dragons have now lost their last two and four of their last six and Rothfield believes their finals hopes are over.

“A couple of sides were very disappointing and I’ve put the red felt pen through them for the year and one of them is the Dragons,” Rothfield told The Big Sports Breakfast.

“I think St George are gone and I was hoping the Dragons and the Tigers would be banging hard on the door for the finals, but you look at their form over the weekend and you have got to have serious doubts.”

McGregor survived the axe earlier this season after he lost his first four games and there were suggestions he had lost the dressing room.

Rothfield revealed the murmurs of unrest in the Dragons ranks have returned after the 32-24 Round 12 loss to the Rabbitohs.

“I got a couple of calls over the weekend about unrest at the Dragons,” Rothfield said.

“Paul McGregor cops it whenever the Dragons’ form is down and a club that doesn’t win football games they are never happy places to be around.

“I am just hearing stories of unrest and there and suggestions that Mary (McGregor) is losing the players again.

“They led 16-0 so he hadn’t lost them there for that first 20 minutes, but the way they capitulated and folded was very, very disappointing.

“But these are the stories I am hearing and I don’t like reporting these sort of stories, but the people who are telling me have got good connections to the club.”

McGregor faces an uphill battle to retain his job at the club beyond 2020 and Rothfield believes it will come down to how the players respond in the last two months of the season.

2c031657647dbd69023d22ca513881d1

Dragons player look dejected after the Rabbitohs loss.Source: Getty Images
“I think it is a story that we are going to have to keep a very close eye on in the run home to the finals over the next eight weeks because this decision was the biggest talking point earlier in the year and then they knuckled down,” Rothfield said.

“The thing with this side is you play Hunt at hooker and he was going great. You take him out of there and he goes back to halfback and the skipper goes to hooker.

“I just don’t know why there is all this chopping and changing going on.”

It doesn’t get any easier for the Dragons who next face the Roosters on Thursday night before coming up against the Eels in Round 14.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...d/news-story/f989953ce9abf0885f25bcbf9219b8b4

didn't see the article, mate, is there a link?

@getsmarty to the rescue ( as usual!) plus the official site “ pre-match review”

Buzz cites “ calls” and “ good connections” which is all a bit arms length and vague.

As for “ knuckling down” for mine, that recent success was as a result of the formation of the compulsory selection panel and I believe Duff when he said players were a bit happier for less change and a bit more stability. That’s all subject to form and injuries, sure.

Otherwise it’s old news that Mary is the outer with a growing number of people, but not the decision makers or people who matter.

And how’s this:

“ I don’t like reporting these sort of stories” stuff.

Ffs Buzz, you f**king live for these sorts of stories!

You are a rat with a good tooth dear Buzz.

Im ok with that, I enjoy your carry on, but spare me the crocodile tears and you can have your raw prawn back on this occasion old son.

Last edited:

brissiedragon

Juniors
Paul McGregor feeling the heat as rumours of ‘unrest’ at Dragons return
NRL Premiership
mark_st_john.jpg

d188bc7881f3fadd3f62baaeff0a09cf

Dragons coach Paul McGregor is again under pressure.Source: AAP
St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor is again under pressure after a two-game losing streak, with Phil Rothfield reporting rumours of unrest at the club.

After a mid-season revival that saw them win four from six games, the Dragons have now lost their last two and four of their last six and Rothfield believes their finals hopes are over.

“A couple of sides were very disappointing and I’ve put the red felt pen through them for the year and one of them is the Dragons,” Rothfield told The Big Sports Breakfast.

“I think St George are gone and I was hoping the Dragons and the Tigers would be banging hard on the door for the finals, but you look at their form over the weekend and you have got to have serious doubts.”

McGregor survived the axe earlier this season after he lost his first four games and there were suggestions he had lost the dressing room.

Rothfield revealed the murmurs of unrest in the Dragons ranks have returned after the 32-24 Round 12 loss to the Rabbitohs.

“I got a couple of calls over the weekend about unrest at the Dragons,” Rothfield said.

“Paul McGregor cops it whenever the Dragons’ form is down and a club that doesn’t win football games they are never happy places to be around.

“I am just hearing stories of unrest and there and suggestions that Mary (McGregor) is losing the players again.

“They led 16-0 so he hadn’t lost them there for that first 20 minutes, but the way they capitulated and folded was very, very disappointing.

“But these are the stories I am hearing and I don’t like reporting these sort of stories, but the people who are telling me have got good connections to the club.”

McGregor faces an uphill battle to retain his job at the club beyond 2020 and Rothfield believes it will come down to how the players respond in the last two months of the season.

2c031657647dbd69023d22ca513881d1

Dragons player look dejected after the Rabbitohs loss.Source: Getty Images
“I think it is a story that we are going to have to keep a very close eye on in the run home to the finals over the next eight weeks because this decision was the biggest talking point earlier in the year and then they knuckled down,” Rothfield said.

“The thing with this side is you play Hunt at hooker and he was going great. You take him out of there and he goes back to halfback and the skipper goes to hooker.

“I just don’t know why there is all this chopping and changing going on.”

It doesn’t get any easier for the Dragons who next face the Roosters on Thursday night before coming up against the Eels in Round 14.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...d/news-story/f989953ce9abf0885f25bcbf9219b8b4

That pic of Vaughan and his recent body language on the TV games suggests one pi$$ed off hombre.

denis preston

First Grade

Hazz, even our board can't ignore loss after loss, player discontent, fans knocking their doors down and sponsors querying their future involvement.The last point may be their only hope in convincing the Gordon's to release the coach from their teats.

hazzbeen

Bench
Hazz, even our board can't ignore loss after loss, player discontent, fans knocking their doors down and sponsors querying their future involvement.The last point may be their only hope in convincing the Gordon's to release the coach from their teats.
I keep thinking the same as you it can't be ignored , but what keeps me coming back to this , its the Dragons thinking ....

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons set to grant release to teen sensation

NRL up-and-comer Jason Saab is set to be granted a release from his contract at the Dragons, freeing him up to join a new club in 2021.

The 19-year-old has been at loggerheads with the club who have reportedly denied him a release despite repeated requests to leave the Red V on multiple occasions.

The teen talent reportedly has no problem with the club, coach Paul McGregor or his salary but simply wants to play for a Sydney-based team that will spare him a daily 3½-hour round-trip to Wollongong.

The nearly two-metre tall athletic specimen won't have a hard time garnering interest on the NRL market, an according to Nine's chief rugby league reporter Danny Weidler that could come as soon as Tuesday morning.

BB151onl.img
:copyright: Getty Jason Saab 2019

"I've learned over the past few days that Jason Saab is most likely going to get a release from the Dragons for next year," Weidler told Nine's 100% Footy.

"There is a meeting tomorrow (Tuesday) between his manager and Ian Millward, and that's likely to see Saab allowed to go and look at one of six clubs."

While no formal offer has been made toward the teen, who is technically still on contract until the end of 2022, it is believed his management has fielded inquiry from rival clubs aware of his desire to leave the Illawarra district.

Canterbury, Manly and South Sydney are monitoring the situation, but Wests Tigers are believed to be in the driver's seat to bag the teen.

BB17vGq2.img
:copyright: Getty Brett Morris of the Roosters contests the ball with Jason Saab. (Getty)

Dragons coach McGregor had previously said he said he was surprised that Saab wanted out of the club despite being signed until 2022.

"He has a great future in the game and we want it to be at this club," he said.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/mor...ease-to-teen-sensation/ar-BB17vyJm?li=AAHAbBJ

P.S Thankyou @Banjo2014

We are renovating at the moment as the brain dead nonsense Ivan signings expire.

Truth be told, we are more than desperate for some strike backs and anyone half decent with some height and pace is a target. We have some cash to wave at him.

He could even end up as our first choice fullback as douie makes his way back to the halves with the impending retirements etc and given his less than riveting spell as a fullback.

He’s wasting his precious footballing time at sgi, excess to requirements. Up in the box with Mary, paddle steward.

The sgi kids at work will be furious as he’s highly regarded as a player and a good young bloke on the character grounds.

He would be one bloke you would want to keep if at all possible. Mills should fight to the death. Dip into the dusty wallet, ring up Andrew.

If he’s whinging about driving, he should consider the train. There’s a good comfy service to the gong, people catch it every day.

If memory serves, you were offering Suli half the earth to sign ( the dipstick was rude in his rejection- still needs a coat hanger for punishment). So I think there’s some cash there for Saab to get him used to the freeway.

Buy him a brand new wrx to ease the pain. Lease one from Dapto West Prestige.

One of the worst excuses I’ve heard for a long time.

If he signs with us, he’s not exactly going to top 8 easy street. We are struggling as much as you guys. He needs to consider everything properly. The grass ain’t greener.

Last edited:
Dragons set to grant release to teen sensation

NRL up-and-comer Jason Saab is set to be granted a release from his contract at the Dragons, freeing him up to join a new club in 2021.

The 19-year-old has been at loggerheads with the club who have reportedly denied him a release despite repeated requests to leave the Red V on multiple occasions.

The teen talent reportedly has no problem with the club, coach Paul McGregor or his salary but simply wants to play for a Sydney-based team that will spare him a daily 3½-hour round-trip to Wollongong.

The nearly two-metre tall athletic specimen won't have a hard time garnering interest on the NRL market, an according to Nine's chief rugby league reporter Danny Weidler that could come as soon as Tuesday morning.

BB151onl.img
:copyright: Getty Jason Saab 2019

"I've learned over the past few days that Jason Saab is most likely going to get a release from the Dragons for next year," Weidler told Nine's 100% Footy.

"There is a meeting tomorrow (Tuesday) between his manager and Ian Millward, and that's likely to see Saab allowed to go and look at one of six clubs."

While no formal offer has been made toward the teen, who is technically still on contract until the end of 2022, it is believed his management has fielded inquiry from rival clubs aware of his desire to leave the Illawarra district.

Canterbury, Manly and South Sydney are monitoring the situation, but Wests Tigers are believed to be in the driver's seat to bag the teen.

BB17vGq2.img
:copyright: Getty Brett Morris of the Roosters contests the ball with Jason Saab. (Getty)

Dragons coach McGregor had previously said he said he was surprised that Saab wanted out of the club despite being signed until 2022.

"He has a great future in the game and we want it to be at this club," he said.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/mor...ease-to-teen-sensation/ar-BB17vyJm?li=AAHAbBJ

P.S Thankyou @Banjo2014
Considering all the hooha, Saab has shown absolutely nothing to suggest he will be a superstar.
No big loss in my view but wouldn't surprise if he develops under another coach.

Latest posts