What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Anyone who doesn't want this has rocks in their head.

Widdop with clune as the general would be stunning. Widdop has never been a controlling half and he was caught in limbo here.

Widdop playing on the front foot in the sped up game would be brilliant. He is a great opportunistic player.

Yes he used to crab across field but maybe think about why. Looking for someone to actually run on to the ball.

Huge yes from me.
It’s a huge upgrade from Norman but if being honest I would probably prefer us just blood Sailor properly this year, give him the 6 position for the remainder of the year win or lose and let him have a good crack. Next year he can fight it out with Clune and Sullivan for the 2 halves spots.

redVinme

Bench
Yep getting rid of Norman would be fantastic and no doubting Widdop is 1000 times better than Normy but we can do better. We should be looking forward not backwards IMO.

Absolutely agree in that manner and maybe I'm just a little excited about being linked to an actual first grader for a change...but I'd like to think Widdop would be a good mentor and if Mary were gone could add value for 2 years as bud comes through.

Also did a lot of 1%s in cover defence etc.

We were a shambles the whole time he was here so if Mary was gone I'm for it.

redVinme

Bench
It’s a huge upgrade from Norman but if being honest I would probably prefer us just blood Sailor properly this year, give him the 6 position for the remainder of the year win or lose and let him have a good crack. Next year he can fight it out with Clune and Sullivan for the 2 halves spots.

I just posted elsewhere but IMO Widdop for two years would be great for bud. Sailor is as good as gone I reckon and there was talks he has already rejected and extention.

I know we desperately need other positions looked at first but I'd replace a loser (Norman the spoon collector) with a winner in Widdop any day. Bring a big prop with him

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I just posted elsewhere but IMO Widdop for two years would be great for bud. Sailor is as good as gone I reckon and there was talks he has already rejected and extention.

I know we desperately need other positions looked at first but I'd replace a loser (Norman the spoon collector) with a winner in Widdop any day. Bring a big prop with him
Yeah he’s much better than Normy, I just don’t want the pathways of Bud, Sailor or Clune blocked. If we were to lose one of those three I’d rather it be for Matt Burton. I’d give him Norman’s money right now even at his age. I agree we need a mentor but the fact is if he plays one of those three is getting pushed out of the club. Maybe he can have a coaching role.

Sailors not being brought on properly. Turns up for an injury etc. He’s right to sniff about.

redVinme

Bench
Yeah he’s much better than Normy, I just don’t want the pathways of Bud, Sailor or Clune blocked. If we were to lose one of those three I’d rather it be for Matt Burton. I’d give him Norman’s money right now even at his age. I agree we need a mentor but the fact is if he plays one of those three is getting pushed out of the club. Maybe he can have a coaching role.

This I can agree on. Would take Burton in a heart beat.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Sailors not being brought on properly. Turns up for an injury etc. He’s right to sniff about.
Hopefully this dropping Norman move is the beginning of a better run for him. I reckon he will come on early much like when Hunt/McInnes swapped positions at first. Once Sailor gets his fitness up I’d say he will be the 6 for the remainder of the year.

Gareth67

First Grade

Widdop with clune as the general would be stunning. Widdop has never been a controlling half and he was caught in limbo here.

Widdop playing on the front foot in the sped up game would be brilliant. He is a great opportunistic player.

Yes he used to crab across field but maybe think about why. Looking for someone to actually run on to the ball.

Huge yes from me.

You have nailed it buddy , it would be a great halves combination I just hope that the fools who are operating the joint can pull this off .

Dragon David

First Grade

Huge yes from me.
Good news if it happens. I think Gareth misses the 'Gong area and it is much better for his kids to be brought up and educated here.
If there was mention to him that Mary will be gone in 2021 then I am sure that that would be helping him with his decision.

Gareth67

First Grade
As much as I have enjoyed watching Widdop over the years - bearing in mind that he was certainly restricted with McGregor’s coaching ( as were/are all Dragon players ) I must admit that I don’t know that his return would be a good thing or not .

Taking into account (as others have already mentioned) his dicky shoulder and age . Also add to that he would be returning to a Dragon team that would be drastically altered ( and not for the better ) to the one that he had left only a year ago .

When I first read the story or rumor (?) I was all for the idea , however now there are just too many downsides to him playing in the Big Red V again. Perhaps the media are indeed correct when they say that the J,V. is in such a mess that they are merely clutching at straws and hoping for the best ?

So I believe that it would be far more advantageous for the team to look towards the future and offer Christian Sailor an extended contract ( if the young man is interested in staying with the Red V ? )

Whether or not Widdop is aware of a change in coaches I doubt very much indeed - that is only wishful thinking on our part as the powers to to be themselves have no idea what is going on .

The Dragons must look to wards the future and blood our ever diminishing stock of youth who do have the ability to make a name for themselves in the NRL - but only with the right individual holding the coaching reins .

It is the only way to truly go forward .

Last edited:
Hopefully this dropping Norman move is the beginning of a better run for him. I reckon he will come on early much like when Hunt/McInnes swapped positions at first. Once Sailor gets his fitness up I’d say he will be the 6 for the remainder of the year.

I hope so.

I would have pencilled him in for a few games earlier as a starter against less illustrious opponents then off the bench against some heavyweights. 1 game this year in round 12 seems to be an afterthought....when many of those selected haven’t exactly pulled their weight.

I’ve lived in blighty for a few years and I really don’t blame Widdop for wanting to come “home” to Australia.

Norman’s demise as a footballer is pretty tragic. There’s always a few in the game who seem to get worse every year. Cursed or something!

We just sit there and watch these guys play their way into the rugby league slaughterhouse. No one seems to be able to help. Probably every team has it’s own Corey Norman.

Mjab

Juniors

Id love Burton too, but I suspect he is headed for the Dogs with the Trent connection

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Giving $850k a year to a rookie who has barely played 5 games is crazy. He's good but he's not as good as Ponga was a his age, and even he didn't get close to that much money.

Widdop for 2 years makes sense given where Sullivan is at.

Sullivan 6 and Clune 7 in 2023.
If Cluney doesn't work out long term, then let's see where Burton is at in a couple of years.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Giving $850k a year to a rookie who has barely played 5 games is crazy. He's good but he's not as good as Ponga was a his age, and even he didn't get close to that much money.

Widdop for 2 years makes sense given where Sullivan is at.

Sullivan 6 and Clune 7 in 2023.
If Cluney doesn't work out long term, then let's see where Burton is at in a couple of years.
One thing I will say about Widdop is he’s big and can tackle which allows us to use a smaller Sullivan or Clune at 7 and not be too compromised defensively. Hunt can kick from 9 too so it could be a lethal combo.