What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Player swap Norman for Widdop

getsmarty

Immortal
I prefer no swap deal. Widdop was great to watch when he was in form. But he is 31 and was becoming injury prone towards the end of his time in the Red V.

The club should be offloading Norman. Maybe offer to pay half of his salary next year. Now is the time for the club to have faith with the likes of Clune, Sailor and in a year or two, Sullivan.

If Widdop comes back, we could be losing Sailor and Sullivan.

Great points @Steel Saints .....player managers possibly have a big say in all of this....

TruSaint

Referee
I prefer no swap deal. Widdop was great to watch when he was in form. But he is 31 and was becoming injury prone towards the end of his time in the Red V.

The club should be offloading Norman. Maybe offer to pay half of his salary next year. Now is the time for the club to have faith with the likes of Clune, Sailor and in a year or two, Sullivan.

Why would we ?

If anything at Gareth's age, the players you mention see a path forward. They Will get their chance, but they wont if Norman is still around. Norman is 2 years younger. His salary will block any path for these kids.

Dragonslayer

First Grade

Widdops 2nd injury was a result of coming back too early from the 1st. In this case COVID would have benefited his recovery, may have evem strengthened it.
A 1yr deal (which would have coincided with his previous contract) for 2021 with a club option of a 2nd would be the way to go. Fantastic mentor for our young halves and as a goal kicking coach for young Lomax.
So much upside in this.
Or we just hang onto Norman for another year as nobody else wants him.
Thats basically the choice.

I would only agree to the swap if Widdop were given a 1 year contract.

Widdop left as a busted toy.

was a tremendous player but would prefer we run with the kids.

Brutalitops

Juniors
What a load of shit from Crawley on Fox, talking about "taking a stand" against Gareth because he apparently walked out on the club.

From what we saw, every step of the process was done with Widdop affording the club plenty of heads up. How often do you see a star player stick around for over a year after the release was actually granted. Rather that kick and stomp for an immediate release, Widdop stayed 12 months and played his heart out, gave us time to replace him, and STILL stayed after Norman signed on.

Not to mention that he has specifically contacted the dragons about a return, as he promised to do if he returned to Australia, before going to any rival clubs.

Gareth did well by us and we could definitely use him next year

Coffs dragon

Bench
One of the reasons Widdip left so quickly and abruptly was his relationship with McGregor was untenable.

Now he wants back to the Dragons.

It's a long bow but he wouldn't return if this was the same situation.

Don't forget that JG is also due back 'in the new year' not as a player, but!!!
Hey Dragonslayer I always suspected that JG will return back to the Dragons as part of the coaching team from 2021 & beyond
It’s like the small pieces of the puzzle have begun, before all is revealed with a new head coach. I wonder if the 2 Poms would return to be reunited with their ex England coach.

matPORTS

Juniors
Best bet is that Widdop and family are looking to get back due to family reasons. Believe his parents and his wife's parents still all live in Australia, and COVID has probably changed things.

Swap deal with Norman going the other way makes sense. However, it should be no more than a two year deal, and their must be a plan in place to nurture Sullivan into the top grade. As much as I'm also a fan of the 'nothing to lose' approach by throwing Sullivan a jersey now, reality is that he isn't ready and development has probably stalled for him due to lack of reggies this year. Not much can be done about it.

I'm indifferent about Sailor. Still not sure what the best place is for him in the team (FB, Wing, Centre, 5/8)? McIdiot needs to take the risk and play him for the full 80 in the halves this week, otherwise what's the bloody point?

Paul Kent on NRL360 tonight put it pretty well. We clutch at straws with everything we do around decision making, and I've gotta say that stems to both on and off the field. The selections of outside backs on the bench throughout the last two seasons is exactly that "oh I'm not sure if you're the right one to play 80mins, but I'm going to carry you anyway to cover my arse".

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Hey Dragonslayer I always suspected that JG will return back to the Dragons as part of the coaching team from 2021 & beyond
It’s like the small pieces of the puzzle have begun, before all is revealed with a new head coach. I wonder if the 2 Poms would return to be reunited with their ex England coach.

We can only hope Coffs, but these recent events do point to a 'change in the guard' imo

The calm one

Juniors
Make it happen you muppets.

Telegraph are reporting Widdop to return to Dragons next year to replace Norman.

Plans are in place for former skipper Gareth Widdop to make a shock St George Illawarra homecoming just 12 months after leaving the club in a mooted player swap with out of favour five-eighth Corey Norman.

Widdop has reached out to Dragons officials in recent weeks flagging the potential of returning to the club next season because of personal reasons just one year into a four year deal at Warrington.

That has paved the way for the Dragons to off-load Norman in a direct player swap with the English club coached by ex-St George Illawarra mentor Steve Price.

Widdop was released from the final two years of his Dragons contract worth about $1.8 at the end of last year. As part of the early exit, St George Illawarra received first rights on Widdop’s services should the 31-year-old opt to return to Australia. It seems that move could happen sooner than either party envisaged.

Widdop is expected to explore other options in Australia if the Dragons are unable to move on Norman. It is understood Warrington are lukewarm to the proposal.

Norman has dramatically fallen out of favour with the Dragons. Just 12 months after making his Origin debut for Queensland he was sensationally axed in favour of rookie half Adam Clune by Dragons coach Paul McGregor ahead of the club’s must-win game against the Roosters on Thursday.
News Corp has learnt discussions about the player swap have ramped up in the past couple of days. St George Illawarra have offered Norman to rival NRL clubs in recent weeks but there has been little interest in taking up the final year of his $850,000 contract.

England looms as the only option for the 29-year-old to secure a long-term deal and Warrington – who signed Greg Inglis from next season – have Widdop’s contract money available.

Widdop and Norman share the same manager. Widdop captained the Dragons up until last season where he made it known he wanted to pursue a dream of playing in England while still in his prime. His final season was plagued by an ongoing shoulder injury restricting him to just 10 matches. Norman, who joined the club last season after being released by Parramatta, played his 200th top grade game in St George Illawarra’s last-start loss to South Sydney.

The Dragons could also lose boom young winger Jason Saab at season’s end after his manager and the club met on Tuesday. St George Illawarra will give the 19-year-old permission to negotiate with rival clubs with the likes of Manly, Wests Tigers and Canterbury set to make a play. The Dragons are seeking a player in return.

Saab is contracted until the end of 2022 but has agitated for a release on multiple occasions this year. The club denied him a mid-season exit. Saab has grown tired of the commute from Merrylands to Wollongong for training and wants to move to a club closer to the family home.

He has made four NRL appearances this year but has been overlooked for a wing spot to play the Roosters behind Mikaele Ravalawa and Jordan Pereira.

The Dragons have Euan Aitken, Jack de Belin, Jacob Host and Tristan Sailor off-contract at season’s end.

In-form centre Zac Lomax said the team understands their season is all but on the line on Thursday.

“We’re aware that we need to perform from now on in,” Lomax said. “We need to perform in each game, but there’s a little bit more we’re playing for right now. We can’t afford to lose many more games at the moment. We’ve been able to put together a good 40, or a good 30, but we’ve got to put the whole game together, a full 80 minutes, if we’re going to match it with these good teams.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...n/news-story/f5d6e2bfd2cafe6fb412eb37de867857
He left for personal reasons. Saab wants to leave for personal reasons, now Widdop wants to come back for personal reasons. It's all very personal, just like Owen & Me

RED73V

Juniors
What a load of shit from Crawley on Fox, talking about "taking a stand" against Gareth because he apparently walked out on the club.

From what we saw, every step of the process was done with Widdop affording the club plenty of heads up. How often do you see a star player stick around for over a year after the release was actually granted. Rather that kick and stomp for an immediate release, Widdop stayed 12 months and played his heart out, gave us time to replace him, and STILL stayed after Norman signed on.

Not to mention that he has specifically contacted the dragons about a return, as he promised to do if he returned to Australia, before going to any rival clubs.

100% agree with this Brutalitops !! Paul CrawlEy has his own axe to grind . Last year he didnt say a bad word about McGregor cause his brother was on staff with us. But after his brother getting the chop he has plenty to say now. Freaking hypocrite . :rage::rage::rage:

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
I dunno why but I mainly have bad memories of Widdop. A dislocated hip, dislocated shoulders, grubber kicks into the legs of opposition players, his sideways running, an inability to form a combination with Benji, he was ineffectual as a captain, and in his final year with us had a stupid hairdo.

Would rather look to the future. Get a young bloke and give him a go. Soward was 23 when he first signed for us, took a few years but he came good. No Widdop for me.

Dragons4lyf95

Juniors

100% agree mate. Couldn’t have said it any better

rasaint

Juniors
Yes please to a swap. Gareth W is a world class player and 32 if he plays for us 2021; 34 I’d say no. Truly not another season of Cory on what $800 and playing like a $300k player.

redv13

Bench
Yes please to a swap. Gareth W is a world class player and 32 if he plays for us 2021; 34 I’d say no. Truly not another season of Cory on what $800 and playing like a $300k player.
Widdop is the same age as DCE ( actually 3 weeks younger ) but no one says a peep about his age. I’d take Gaz back in a heartbeat for 2 years plus a club option for a 3rd. Norman can f u ck off now I’m so over his garbage. Worst value for money signing by the club in a very long time. And before people pipe up abt Benny Hunt at least he gives a shit and has a crack which is quite the opposite of old slim shady

Wittenberg

Juniors
Would place Widdop well above Norman most days of the week and he served this club well and put his body on the line. There is no doubt about his class BUT if this story is true I would still be against us taking him back. Why? He would become a roadblock to Sullivan, Sailor, Clune and would not minimise the pressure being placed on McInness via Hunt’s move to number 9. No, look to the future. While I believe Sailor is going, especially if our ‘leadership’ was shopping him to the West Tigers two weeks ago, he will definitely be out the door if Widdop returns.

SaintPauli

Juniors
Just an insight i noticed at a red v function before Gareth left. Gareth took his Aussie wife and young children to the old dart. It was never going to be easy. I also never recall his wife being too keen on going. I am not saying there are marital issues either to start vicious rumours. Gareth left on good terms and is well respected by the club. He is also a top 20 nrl player. Biggest drop outs, awesome kicking game and defender. Taric Simms who has somewhat disappeared excelled with his style of setup plays within the 20m opposition line.

Latest posts