What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanagan Confirmed.

Two things about Flanno that aren't getting mentioned but are both a big positive, in a negative way, for your club.
1- he had no problem, or loyalty, in taking over from his mate, Sticky, when it was time. Some even say he had a hand in it, I don't know that but have heard it. Mary didn't even know him before he signed... just saying.
2 - 2016 was his stand out year for sure but what he did with the 2015 team really built the foundations. Having Jeff Robson and Jack Bird as halves plus Michael Gordon at fullback was not a very frightening attacking side but he built grit and stone in defence and had them make the second round of the finals.
He knows how to build, he just added a Maloney and got lucky with Barba in stellar form and the team transformed into Premiers.
IMO he will get your defence up to a solid 6th finish. A bit of luck and you'll get to 4th, a bit unlucky and you'll get 8th.
Your halves need to be on their game, every game, for you to go higher. I'm not sure if they can but who knows.

George Dragon

Juniors
FLANNO COULD MAKE COACHING COMEBACK IN 2021

The rumblings are growing louder by the day about Shane Flanagan making another push to be allowed to return as an NRL head coach next season.

Flanagan is gaining huge support among the St George Illawarra playing group in his role as an assistant and is tipped to again push to be allowed back next year.

The development most likely spells bad news for St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor who has already had much of his power stripped at the Dragons.

f8db81d21cca5ce22ed4a676d01b598e

Dragons assistant coach Shane Flanagan could be in line for an early reprieve on his NRL head coaching banSource: AAP
Mary has been under enormous pressure since losing the opening four matches of the season and being forced to adopt a four-man selection committee to pick the Dragons best side every week.

Flanagan was deregistered indefinitely at the end of 2018 after being found to have broken the terms of his 12-month ban in 2014 over the Sharks peptides scandal.

But the Dragons assistant coach enjoys enormous high-profile support from influential figures in Sydney and successfully campaigned to have his indefinite ban reduced.

The NRL opted to allow Flanagan to return as an assistant coach this year with the caveat he is still banned from being a head coach until 2022.

But on the back of the changes made for Sonny Bill Williams, Ricky Leutele and Joseph Suaalii in the past week, expect Flanagan to also make a strong pitch to return next year
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...r/news-story/14d9e3e5a03b885663f9b24a710ebe92

TruSaint

Referee
FLANNO COULD MAKE COACHING COMEBACK IN 2021

The rumblings are growing louder by the day about Shane Flanagan making another push to be allowed to return as an NRL head coach next season.

Flanagan is gaining huge support among the St George Illawarra playing group in his role as an assistant and is tipped to again push to be allowed back next year.

The development most likely spells bad news for St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor who has already had much of his power stripped at the Dragons.

f8db81d21cca5ce22ed4a676d01b598e

Dragons assistant coach Shane Flanagan could be in line for an early reprieve on his NRL head coaching banSource: AAP
Mary has been under enormous pressure since losing the opening four matches of the season and being forced to adopt a four-man selection committee to pick the Dragons best side every week.

Flanagan was deregistered indefinitely at the end of 2018 after being found to have broken the terms of his 12-month ban in 2014 over the Sharks peptides scandal.

But the Dragons assistant coach enjoys enormous high-profile support from influential figures in Sydney and successfully campaigned to have his indefinite ban reduced.

The NRL opted to allow Flanagan to return as an assistant coach this year with the caveat he is still banned from being a head coach until 2022.

But on the back of the changes made for Sonny Bill Williams, Ricky Leutele and Joseph Suaalii in the past week, expect Flanagan to also make a strong pitch to return next year
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...r/news-story/14d9e3e5a03b885663f9b24a710ebe92

Thx for the link.
I must say Im not sure about his chances, HOWEVER, the way the article is framed re SBW etc exceptions then who knows. It has a different tone about it. Maybe that will be the defence.

TruSaint

Referee
Agree Tru
I would of thought he had Buckley's chance, but with all the rule bending lately maybe there is a chance .

Interesting and I agree.
I will say I was against bending the rules for Flanno, as I have posted here. Only based on the fact it wasn't one infringement but 2. However, its seems V'Landy's is hell bent on doing whatever he deems is in the best interest of the game and its stakeholders. It will come down to that I think. Whether Flanno's exemption ticks that box.
Cheers.

SAP58

Juniors
Interesting and I agree.
I will say I was against bending the rules for Flanno, as I have posted here. Only based on the fact it wasn't one infringement but 2. However, its seems V'Landy's is hell bent on doing whatever he deems is in the best interest of the game and its stakeholders. It will come down to that I think. Whether Flanno's exemption ticks that box.
Cheers.
If it were the Roosters it would be a no brainer !

Old Timer

Coach
I truly hope that all the coaching staff is sacked including Flanno and that we go for a clean start and new blood.

I hear all this hype about Flanno but to be brutally honest I see nothing to get excited about if he is in fact the coach and babysitting Mary as many suggest is the case.

Our attack is totally reliant upon individual effort and lacks cohesion and purpose and our defence (supposedly Flanno's strength) is piss poor and leaks like a sieve for extended periods.

Our forwards have little to no penetration and certainly don't scare the halves of opposition sides who in fact love setting up plays straight through the middle of our much heralded forward pack.

IMO Flanno was extremely lucky for a couple of seasons and luck more than good coaching got him his premiership.

If Barba had of faltered or Gallen be injured I doubt very much they win the comp let alone the stain associated around the peptides scandal.

Our new coach requires professionalism, innovation, vibrancy, flair, intuitiveness, belief in youth and to be perfectly honest I don't see any of that in Flanno.

Fitzgibbon and Ryles IMO are more along the lines of what we need to secure a premiership within a 2 year window of 2023, 24 as it will take all of 2021 to get the mess sorted and find out from what we have as to who can do what and then clean out and all of 2022 to get the 2-3 players that will make the difference from a good side to a premiership winning side.

Let's not be so accepting of Flanno as we are of some of the soft signings we make as that is a trap our club falls into far too often.

Flanno is a hard nut but I truly doubt he would hold a candle for professionalism compared to those now at the Storm or Roosters.

The calm one

Juniors
I truly hope that all the coaching staff is sacked including Flanno and that we go for a clean start and new blood.

I hear all this hype about Flanno but to be brutally honest I see nothing to get excited about if he is in fact the coach and babysitting Mary as many suggest is the case.

Our attack is totally reliant upon individual effort and lacks cohesion and purpose and our defence (supposedly Flanno's strength) is piss poor and leaks like a sieve for extended periods.

Our forwards have little to no penetration and certainly don't scare the halves of opposition sides who in fact love setting up plays straight through the middle of our much heralded forward pack.

IMO Flanno was extremely lucky for a couple of seasons and luck more than good coaching got him his premiership.

If Barba had of faltered or Gallen be injured I doubt very much they win the comp let alone the stain associated around the peptides scandal.

Our new coach requires professionalism, innovation, vibrancy, flair, intuitiveness, belief in youth and to be perfectly honest I don't see any of that in Flanno.

Fitzgibbon and Ryles IMO are more along the lines of what we need to secure a premiership within a 2 year window of 2023, 24 as it will take all of 2021 to get the mess sorted and find out from what we have as to who can do what and then clean out and all of 2022 to get the 2-3 players that will make the difference from a good side to a premiership winning side.

Let's not be so accepting of Flanno as we are of some of the soft signings we make as that is a trap our club falls into far too often.

Flanno is a hard nut but I truly doubt he would hold a candle for professionalism compared to those now at the Storm or Roosters.
Fitzgibbon staying where he is. He takes over from Robinson when he calls it a day. Owen

Old Timer

Coach
Fitzgibbon staying where he is. He takes over from Robinson. Owen
That is probably true but one never knows until one tries.

I mean getting to paint a gym, going to important meetings on a jetski does and the potential of catching a bus to and from work does have a certain amount of appeal to it.

matPORTS

Juniors
Would love for it to happen, but Peter V'Landys in his role within the racing industry has always been hard line with any form of 'cheating', has never authorised the early lifting of any suspension, and has always acted in the best interests of protecting the integrity of the industry.

As a side note, once he became ARLC Chairman, JDB was never a chance of being allowed to play either despite our numerous appeals and the constant delays in his case going to trial.

I'm leaning towards this not happening, and therefore not getting my hopes up.

Interesting how stories of unrest in the group have suddenly surfaced again this week, and that it also coincides with the news that we're making another attempt to have Flanno's ban lifted. We went through this about six weeks ago and it was quickly shut down.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
It’s about time the NRL did the Dragons a favour for a change, we copped the full brunt with the JDB stand down & surely deserve some leverage with Flanno’s ban.
Peter V’landys needs to show some compassion during this pandemic and allow the Dragons to recover from 7 years of McDud.

Spot on CD- if Vlandy's has got his "head on", he would realise that SGI is one of the heart beat clubs of the NRL- it's acknowledged that we have among the most passionate supporters but this club is hemorrhaging badly- before COVID, all our vital signs have been heading in the wrong direction - ie crowd numbers down- and drastically. Memberships and merchandise sales also in decline. We all know Mary is a big part of the why but the JDB saga didn't help either.

This is about the redemption of a once proud and high achieving club. The NRL needs a successful Dragons- Vlandy's, if he's the League man he's touted to be, shouldn't have to be reminded of this.

TruSaint

Referee
Would love for it to happen, but Peter V'Landys in his role within the racing industry has always been hard line with any form of 'cheating', has never authorised the early lifting of any suspension, and has always acted in the best interests of protecting the integrity of the industry.

As a side note, once he became ARLC Chairman, JDB was never a chance of being allowed to play either despite our numerous appeals and the constant delays in his case going to trial.

I'm leaning towards this not happening, and therefore not getting my hopes up.

Interesting how stories of unrest in the group have suddenly surfaced again this week, and that it also coincides with the news that we're making another attempt to have Flanno's ban lifted. We went through this about six weeks ago and it was quickly shut down.

I don't expect him to weigh in or change the stance on JDB.
In fact, I hope he lets that take its legal course. I support the stand down rule in principle. Whether or not he sees merit in granting Flanno some leniency is the question.

Latest posts