What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squad for 2021

Mario chalmers

Juniors
Probably should extend Olly Clarke and Eiso as well. They aren't bad for depth

I reckon we could find better depth signings. Look at someone like Hame Sele who tore us up in the Souths game the other week. He was without a club in January this year and got a train/trial deal with the Rabbits. Clark and Eiso are handy defenders but I think they aren't able to get over the advantage line.

From another perspective, how many times have you watched these guys play ISP and said "he's too good for this level." ?

We are at the half way point of the season and I am bored so I though I would have a look at how the squad is shaping up for next year.

I have gone through and listed who we have on contract for 2021 and listed their ages in 2021 in brackets.

Squad for 2021 (24 players)
2021 – J Aloiai (25) S Blore (20) K Bradley (21) L Brooks (26) M Chee-Kam (29) Z Cini (?) A Doueihi (23) L Garner (25) J Leilua (29) L Leilua (25) J Liddle (24) J Madden (21) M Mbye (27) T Mikaele (23) P Momiroski (24) Z Musgrove (25) D Nofoaluma (27) R Packer (31) J Reynolds (32) J Simpkin (19) T Talau (21) A Twal (25) S Utoikamanu (21) B Walters (27)

Average Age – 24.75 years

Position breakdown

Fullback (2) – Doueihi, Mbye
Winger (5) – Talau, Nofoaluma, Momiroski, Bradley, Cini
Centre (4) – Leilua, Mbye, Talau, Momiroski
Half/five-eight (4) – Brooks, Reynolds, Walters, Madden
Edge backrowers (4) – Leilua, Garner, Chee Kam, Blore
Middles (6) – Aloiai, Packer, Twal, Mikaele, Musgrove, Utoikamnu
Hooker (3) – Liddle, Simpkin, Walters

Off Contract – O Clark (24) M Eisenhuth (28) R Jennings (25) C Lawrence (32) B Marshall (36) S McIntyre (23) C McQueen (33) A Seyfarth (22) D Smith (22) E Taylor (31)
Note: H Grant (23) due to return on loan and R Hoffman (20) currently only signed on a development contract.

So we have 6 positions to fill from a fairly weak player market. Everyone would love for us to somehow get Grant to fill one of those positions and given Hoffman has already jumped ahead of Cini and Bradley I wouldn't be surprised if he gets offered a full time deal which would add winger and center depth.

Of the off contract players I would offer McIntyre a new deal and Eisenhuth and one of Clark/Seyfarth new deals as squad depth.

I feel we are light on for fullback and edge backrower depth so we should be targeting someone on the market to fill those holes.

2022 looks like the year when we might see a large turnover of the squad as we only have 12 on contract and can finally clears some of the Ivan nightmares.

Squad for 2022 (12)
2022 – L Brooks (27) A Doueihi (24) L Garner (26) R Hoffman (21) J Leilua (30) L Leilua (26) M Mbye (28) P Momiroski (25) J Simpkin (20) T Talau (22) A Twal (26) S Utoikamanu (22)

Squad for 2023 (3)
2022 – L Brooks (28) A Doueihi (25) S Utoikamanu (23)

This took a lot of work, even if some or most of it is right, I effing appreciate it as illustrated beneath. A finalist for tigers forum post of the year (education category).

5B4DB839-46F1-41A2-A0D8-B99BC912EF52.jpeg

I reckon Blore looks like a middle forward. We are going to have a beast pack. He was belting them in the middle out there. What a debut game.

I saw that too. It was the most underrated debut of any player in the nrl for a long time. Especially given what he was facing.

His attitude struck me. Some genuine go in him, not overawed or faint in any way. Threw himself into the match, got dirty, when by rights, he could have been expected to spectate for a little while.

It’s hell out there in the middle. I thank my lucky stars I don’t have tackle a massive forward at speed with intent like my life depended on it! I saw what happened to Matt’s. FM!

Getting the timing right for a debut game is very important, he’s very young and we iced it. That’s a sign of competent training and development staff, coaching and related support. Madge would be extremely excited because it’s an outstanding result for these guys and their planning.

Shows you the depth of Panthers inc. to have to let him go. You wouldn’t do it lightly. Nice problem to have.

But he could be anything this kid.

Destination Tigers.

Last edited:

glockers

Juniors
I reckon we could find better depth signings. Look at someone like Hame Sele who tore us up in the Souths game the other week. He was without a club in January this year and got a train/trial deal with the Rabbits. Clark and Eiso are handy defenders but I think they aren't able to get over the advantage line.

From another perspective, how many times have you watched these guys play ISP and said "he's too good for this level." ?

You need some boring middles who defend well alongside them nes who bend the line. You never have a whole pack of Taumolos or Klemmers

Tigers Tale

Juniors
It appears 2020 is history now, so to our management;

Say to Benji and Rowdy, thanks for the memories. No point carrying them any more. They may be playing well this year but they are history, we need to move on and we need to do that without them.

Say to Harry Grant, are you prepared to break your Storm contract? If he says yes, keep playing, if no, play someone who will be with us next year. No point giving him the experience that benefits the Storm. We need to play someone to get experience for next year.

Buy some speed and a goal kicker.

Tell Madge to go off at the referees at the presser. We are a soft touch and keep getting poor decisions. If the refs think we are soft and we will not call them for their decisions they'll keep screwing us....make some noise Madge and the board support him and pay a fine or two.

Seriously consider Brooks, he is just not capable of controlling a game. Buy a half that has a brain. Better still, buy one that can kick goals.

Oh, buy some speed and a goal kicker......

I'd be prepared to make some radical changes in our team for the rest of this year. I think we have a buffer and won't get the spoon so do something that will really benefit us for next year,,,,we are just treading water at the moment. Be it 9th or 15th it doesn't matter, do something that will make 2021 better for the team.

Say to Benji and Rowdy, thanks for the memories. No point carrying them any more. They may be playing well this year but they are history, we need to move on and we need to do that without them.

Say to Harry Grant, are you prepared to break your Storm contract? If he says yes, keep playing, if no, play someone who will be with us next year. No point giving him the experience that benefits the Storm. We need to play someone to get experience for next year.

Tell Madge to go off at the referees at the presser. We are a soft touch and keep getting poor decisions. If the refs think we are soft and we will not call them for their decisions they'll keep screwing us....make some noise Madge and the board support him and pay a fine or two.

Seriously consider Brooks, he is just not capable of controlling a game. Buy a half that has a brain. Better still, buy one that can kick goals.

I'd be prepared to make some radical changes in our team for the rest of this year. I think we have a buffer and won't get the spoon so do something that will really benefit us for next year,,,,we are just treading water at the moment. Be it 9th or 15th it doesn't matter, do something that will make 2021 better for the team.

The official club statement after last game was that it was “ disappointing” and ive heard that the powers that be are going beserk behind the scenes.

I’m just not ready to write off the year. Give me three more games.

Some good points otherwise but I’m die hard Brooksy. On his day, he’s one of the best halves in the league. We need that threat.

Harry is more likely to come back if we treat him well and he could be anything. And he may come back and sign for 5 years. Bellamy is leaving the storm, the world is turning.

We almost beat Penrith and they ripped Manly a new one last night. The panthers are 3 lengths in front of the game and without a brilliant game from Api we may well have beat them.

No surrender from me until the stake is driven well through my heart and the body has turned to dust.

I will believe the titanic is sinking when I am on the bridge and the water reaches my ankles. Plus players returning.

Last edited:

Tiger Ted

Bench
The official club statement after last game was that it was “ disappointing” and ive heard that the powers that be are going beserk behind the scenes.

Some good points otherwise but I’m die hard Brooksy. On his day, he’s one of the best halves in the league. We need that threat.

Harry is more likely to come back if we treat him well and he could be anything. And he may come back and sign for 5 years. Bellamy is leaving the storm, the world is turning.

We almost beat Penrith and they ripped Manly a new one last night. The panthers are 3 lengths in front of the game and without a brilliant game from Api we may well have beat them.

No surrender from me until the stake is driven well through my heart and the body has turned to dust.

I will believe the titanic is sinking when I am on the bridge and the water reaches my ankles. Plus players returning.
Considering our draw & mediocrity of our team we will b lucky to win 2 more matches this season.

Maybe it’s my deteriorating memory but over 7 yrs of predominantly delivering vacuous garbage which days were they when brooks performed as per one of the best halves in comp.I can count those days on fingers of 1 hand & im being generous coz I like him as a person & due to my partiality to Balmain juniors.

The thing that concerns me the most as a tigers tragic is the delusional coach has expectations of brooks being our general going forward.

Madgeball isn’t sustainable & he seems to b clueless beyond the 1 dimensional regimented physical style his coaching philosophy revolves around.

Considering our draw & mediocrity of our team we will b lucky to win 2 more matches this season.

Maybe it’s my deteriorating memory but over 7 yrs of predominantly delivering vacuous garbage which days were they when brooks performed as per one of the best halves in comp.I can count those days on fingers of 1 hand & im being generous coz I like him as a person & due to my partiality to Balmain juniors.

The thing that concerns me the most as a tigers tragic is the delusional coach has expectations of brooks being our general going forward.

Madgeball isn’t sustainable & he seems to b clueless beyond the 1 dimensional regimented physical style his coaching philosophy revolves around.

harsh...

Tigers Tale

Juniors
I am far from anti Madge....but traditionally his teams start to falter about now as he has flogged them in the pre-season. Souths sure did. I don't mind them being worked hard, look at LL but can it be too hard.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
When I bang on about speed, just imagine having players like Tedesco, Papenhuyzen and Addo-Carr in your system.....oh wait.

When you think about it Cleary started to show his ability as a coach before he jumped off the bus and when you look at the cattle we had he was actually doing OK. He has much better players at Penrith and they are leading the comp. My point is until we get some serious talent we are simply making up numbers and are cannon fodder for the top teams. By the way, Cleary is still an ahole....

WA Tiger

Bench
Yeup then we can see what talent we have..Loosen up a bit...It’s too robotic at the moment...Asu >1 Nofo , Talau >Wings .... Hoffman, Joey L. >centres ...6 and 7 > u know ..Reynolds >on the Bench (at least he can create a try {and Brooks can go play in the Nice guys team} coz he is a nice guy ..Who has evidence he is a nice guy ? Haha
or Lawrence starts in the forwards ( and No backs on bench) - He’s a stop gap at centre...
I’m sure I read on OLd times Talau’s been a 5/8?

But prob Mbye on the Bench

Last edited:

Mario chalmers

Juniors

Think it's unfair to slam Madge and Brooks given:
- we've carried soft forwards for at least 5 years if not 10;
- we still put great faith in Benji who is the epitome of rocks & diamonds (career win rate 50% with this week being his 250th game)
- we have very few players who can turn a game. The players who earn big money at WT do not win us games

Mario chalmers

Juniors

Benji is retiring. He gave it away at the end of today's press conference and then tried to cover it up
https://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2020/08/05/press-conference-benji-marshall/

I think Cameron Smith is retiring as well. His oldest child starts high school next year which is why he wants to move back to Qld. That means Harry back to Melbourne nothing left to say on that.

stryker

First Grade

Fool