What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Player swap Norman for Widdop

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Widdop will be a huge improvement on Norman so why not. The only issue I have is injury but IF Saints keep Tristian and Sullivan it will work out well for them as they will be good back up and will surely get a run earlier with Widdop in the team than Norman. Waiting for Norman to get injured may never happen as he is just a passenger these days and does not like putting his body on the line like Widdop did.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Since making his NRL debut 10 years ago, Norman Corey has only played one finals game.

tumbidragon

First Grade
Gaz is twice the player that pea heart dope Norman could ever hope to be. So would be very pleased to see this come to fruition.
Why we bought Norman in the first place on the reported 850k is a f**king sick joke! Would of rather persisted with Field or better yet, given Sailor a fair crack on a third of the coin he's on.
A lot to be answered for by the recruitment team.

RedVDave

First Grade
Gaz is twice the player that pea heart dope Norman could ever hope to be. So would be very pleased to see this come to fruition.
Why we bought Norman in the first place on the reported 850k is a f**king sick joke! Would of rather persisted with Field or better yet, given Sailor a fair crack on a third of the coin he's on.
A lot to be answered for by the recruitment team.

Agreed, although we have been asking questions for years and years and never given the answers we deserve occasionally we might get the odd generic email "we have the fans best interests at heart we know this is frustrating blah blah blah" same old sh!t.

A condition of Widdop's release was if he returned to the NRL it had to be at the Dragons . . on compassionate grounds last time and (if this shit is true) on compassionate grounds again. But what about some compassion for us!!

Norman was a quick stop gap filler when Widdop was allowed to leave and hasn't proved his worth . . Widdop has a couple of years left in him and would be a good mentor for Sailer and Clunes . . Let's see what plays out!

getsmarty

Immortal

• Norman-Widdop swap deal torpedoed before it even got off the ground
    Adrian Proszenko
    August 5, 2020 — 6.23pm
    • Send via Email
    A Corey Norman-Gareth Widdop swap has been torpedoed as Jason Saab spoke for the first time about his reasons for wanting to leave St George Illawarra, declaring: “It’s kind of like a marriage that didn’t work out.”

Norman was signed as Widdop’s replacement after the Great Britain international decided to finish his career in England, but the moves haven’t worked out for any of the parties. The Dragons are keen to move on Norman, who is on $850,000 next year, just as Widdop weighs up a potential NRL return after his personal circumstances changed.

Managers and the role they play when NRL coaches look for a new position: Phil Gould

The developments sparked suggestions of a trade with Norman being swapped for Warrington playmaker Widdop. That, however, won’t happen. Norman has no intention of leaving, knowing he won’t be able to command anywhere near the money he is on at the Red V. Further, Wolves chief executive Karl Fitzpatrick told SEN’s Breakfast with Joel and Jimmy program that the club has no interest in the former Eel.

The Dragons have first rights on Widdop’s signature should he wish to resume his NRL career, but the club has no intention of doing so. Widdop, who hasn’t yet asked Warrington for a release, may pursue other opportunities in Australia should they arise.

Norman has been dropped for the Roosters clash, a bitter blow given he was representing Queensland this time last year. However, coach Paul McGregor denied the club was trying to force him out.

"The first time he hasn't been picked in 18 months at the club and we're talking about Gareth coming back already," McGregor said. "That's too unfair at this raw stage to even talk about it. And it hasn't been mentioned to me with the recruitment either.

124cd93177c5760917238deb7b30902acff9281d

Corey Norman won't be switching places with Gareth Widdop.Credit:Getty Images

"I have not been told anything about that and it's just so unfair to the player, in Corey, that's here. We want Corey to play well this year."

However, it appears at least one Dragon will be moving on at the end of the season. Saab has been granted permission to explore his options elsewhere for next year despite being contracted until the end of 2022.

The winger asked for a release on compassionate grounds on several occasions and the Dragons finally agreed to allow him to test the market at the end of the season.

“There’s never any bad blood between the club and myself," Saab said. "Whenever I go out there I love playing for the Red V. It’s just unfortunate my circumstance with what’s going on away from footy is not really working out.

“That’s an ongoing process, but when I cross the white line, nothing else matters.

“We were able to sit down and have a chat about it – it was a good, long chat. It was a bit daunting, but it is what it is.

“At the end of the day, if you’re not happy off the field, you won’t be happy on it.

“It’s kind of like a marriage that didn’t work out, that sort of situation.”

Saab has made just four NRL appearances this year, taking his total to seven. The 19-year-old, who commutes from Merrylands to Wollongong daily for training, is stuck behind flankers Mikaele Ravalawa and Jordan Pereira.

“I always stress the fact that we get paid to throw a footy around; I don’t want to come across as ungrateful,” he said.

“I’m extremely grateful to do what I’m doing, but with the family situation, that comes first. I’m doing what’s best for myself and my siblings, most importantly.”
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/no...-even-got-off-the-ground-20200805-p55iwk.html

getsmarty

Immortal
normanc-200730_gt_08.jpg

DRAGONS

Widdop-Norman swap talk news to McGregor
Author
Troy Whittaker NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 5 Aug 2020, 02:26 PM

Dragons coach Paul McGregor says he's unaware of plans to bring back former captain Gareth Widdop in a swap with dropped five-eighth Corey Norman.

News Corp reported on Tuesday that English star Widdop, who joined Super League club Warrington this year after six seasons at St George Illawarra, wants to return to the NRL for personal reasons.

Norman, contracted for 2021, has been dropped from the team to face the Roosters but McGregor branded speculation of the pivot being offered to Warrington in exchange for Widdop "really unfair".

"The first time [Norman] hasn't been picked in 18 months at the club and we're talking about Gareth coming back already," he said.

"That's too unfair at this raw stage to even talk about it. And it hasn't been mentioned to me with the recruitment either.

Has McGregor made the right call in dropping Norman?

"I have not been told anything about that and it's just so unfair to the player, in Corey, that's here. We want Corey to play well this year."

However, McGregor acknowledged Norman has "been below his best" and must improve his game-management and creativity.

Adam Clune, returning after a week off due to a head knock, will partner Ben Hunt in the halves against the Roosters at WIN Stadium on Thursday night.

"Corey and Adam's preference is to play on the left side of the field, so we thought the function of the team could improve if we made the tough decision," McGregor said.

That's too unfair at this raw stage to even talk about it

Dragons coach Paul McGregor
McGregor plans to give Tristan Sailor an increased role off the bench after an energetic cameo in last week's loss to the Rabbitohs.

The 22-year-old threw an intercept pass for an Alex Johnston try but also had the vision to set up a Mikaele Ravalawa four-pointer with a grubber.

The playmaker was among the last to leave the training field on Wednesday.

"Tristan's only played [14] minutes in 2020, so it's very hard to go out and expect him to go out and be in control of his game at a young stage of his career," McGregor said.

"So we thought the right thing to do this week was to give Tristan more time but not expect him to play 80 minutes just yet.

"Outside that decision [that led to an intercept] I thought his game was good. He was busy, he was active, defensively he was strong. He did set up a try for us [and] ran the footy.

"So we just need more of that when he gets on the field this week."

Like the Dragons, the Roosters have tweaked their halves with Kyle Flanagan, the NRL's leading point-scorer, dropped for Lachlan Lam.

"That does surprise me," McGregor said.

The 21-year-old's absence means St George Illawarra assistant coach Shane Flanagan won't get the chance to plot against his son.

"Obviously [the Roosters] have got a lot of faith in Lam coming in, he's been doing a role as that 13 middle ball-playing for the Roosters," McGregor said.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/08/05/widdop-norman-swap-talk-news-to-mcgregor/

getsmarty

Immortal
Swap reports unfair to Norman: McGregor
  • NRL
    r0_0_800_600_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Corey Norman is the latest high-profile St George Illawarra player to lost his NRl starting spot.
    Speculation over the NRL future of dropped St George Illawarra half Corey Norman is unfair, according to St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor.

On Wednesday it was reported former skipper Gareth Widdop had contacted the Dragons to sound out a return to the club just 12 months after he left to finish his rugby league career in the UK.

Hours earlier, Norman was dropped for Thursday night's clash with Sydney Roosters, prompting reports a player swap is on the cards to allow the Dragons to move on the out of favour State of Origin half.

However, on Wednesday afternoon McGregor denied having any conversations with the club's recruitment and retention committee about a swap between the two halves.

"That's really unfair to Corey," McGregor said.

"The first time he hasn't been picked in 18 months at the club and we're talking about Gareth coming back already.

"That's too unfair at this raw stage to even talk about and it hasn't been mentioned to me with the recruitment either.

"I have not been told anything about that and it's just so unfair to Corey.

"We want Corey to play well this year."

Widdop departed the Dragons at the end of last season with two years left on his deal to pursue an opportunity with Warrington to play out his career in his home country.

When he was released, the Dragons held the right to have first option to sign him if he was to ever return to the NRL.

However, they would need to move Norman on to make it a financially logical decision.

The 29-year-old Norman has been out of form for the Dragons this season and McGregor said a failure to manage last week's loss to South Sydney was behind his axing.

Although McGregor said he doesn't "make selection decisions in a week", Norman did not show enough smarts in attack to polish off the Rabbitohs when they lost skipper Adam Reynolds early.

"Last week was a little bit about game management when key people were off the field," McGregor said.

"Obviously (we need him to have) more skin in the game in his creativity, he's a very good player and we just need a little bit more out of him."

Adam Clune has been named at halfback in his return from injury alongside Ben Hunt in the halves for the clash with the Roosters in Wollongong.

Australian Associated Press

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/6865844/swap-reports-unfair-to-norman-mcgregor/?cs=7486

getsmarty

Immortal
St George rubbish Gareth Widdop rumours
Matthew Shaw 05/08/2020

St George Illawarra Dragons head coach Paul McGregor has rubbished reports linking Gareth Widdop with a move to the club.

The Warrington halfback was linked with a shock return to the NRL on Tuesday, despite being just five games into his Wolves career.

But McGregor said the report was incorrect.

“The first time Norman hasn’t been picked in 18 months at the club and we’re talking about Gareth coming back already,” he told NRL.com.

“That’s too unfair at this raw stage to even talk about it. And it hasn’t been mentioned to me with the recruitment either.

“I have not been told anything about that and it’s just so unfair to the player, in Corey, that’s here. We want Corey to play well this year.”

https://www.totalrl.com/st-george-rubbish-gareth-widdop-rumours/

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
St George rubbish Gareth Widdop rumours
Matthew Shaw 05/08/2020

St George Illawarra Dragons head coach Paul McGregor has rubbished reports linking Gareth Widdop with a move to the club.

The Warrington halfback was linked with a shock return to the NRL on Tuesday, despite being just five games into his Wolves career.

But McGregor said the report was incorrect.

“The first time Norman hasn’t been picked in 18 months at the club and we’re talking about Gareth coming back already,” he told NRL.com.

“That’s too unfair at this raw stage to even talk about it. And it hasn’t been mentioned to me with the recruitment either.

“I have not been told anything about that and it’s just so unfair to the player, in Corey, that’s here. We want Corey to play well this year.”

https://www.totalrl.com/st-george-rubbish-gareth-widdop-rumours/
He’s a bloody good bloke is Mary.