What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanagan Confirmed.

Gareth67

First Grade
I hope that he does indeed make another appeal as they can only say no . But as pointed out in the above posts there has been exceptions made for other clubs , although they are players . The big sticking point is the drug scandal and let’s face facts - we were all screaming blue murder about that sorry business , but now he is a Dragon . . . .

However we do need a premiership winning coach to pull the Dragons nuts out of the fire and Flanagan is the obvious choice . So go for it and may the J.V. itself put their weight behind the appeal .

If worst comes to worst we may be able to get the Gordon’s and their vast media empire :laughing: to offer some free advertising to the NRL just to sweeten the pot .

getsmarty

Immortal
Who’s really the head coach? Legend suggests Flanagan is pulling the strings at Dragons
Dragons
89b62f755d38eac580d70ef34d403eb7

Dragons coach Paul McGregor and Dragons assistant coach Shane FlanaganSource: Getty Images
Tigers great Benny Elias has suggested that Paul McGregor is no longer leading the Dragons coaching, implying that Shane Flanagan is now running the show at St George Illawarra.

Flanagan was brought in during the off-season as an assistant to help McGregor who has struggled to get the Dragons’ big-name roster firing.

The ex-Sharks coach, however, is not allowed to take a role as a head coach due to an NRL ban.

Elias insists that Flanagan is in charge in all but name and has highlighted why McGregor is under no threat of being sacked.

“He’s safe as houses because they don't want to write a cheque out and say see you later,” Elias told NRL360.

781901_640x360_large_20200805192847.jpg

Who is in charge at Dragons?

“I’m very good friends with the chairman Andrew Gordon, he’s a very good bloke and a smart man.

“He’s a bloke who sticks to his guns, they make a decision they stick to it.

“I don’t think he’s happy at all he demands success at the highest level, he [McGregor] is safe because he’s committed and he’s abided to his deal with the bloke.

“Shane Flanagan is his offsider. I think Flanagan would have a lot more influence now as an assistant and he’ll have a lot more to do with the coaching in the top grade.

“It makes sense, Flanagan has won a premiership and has the ability and responsibility and knowledge to win a premiership.

“Reverse the position. McGregor you’re the assistant, Flanagan you’re the coach. I think potentially it may have happened. It’s been working, they’ve won five out of six.”

Former Manly coach Geoff Toovey said such a situation would see McGregor quit.

“Mary is a proud man he’s doing a good job under the circumstances,” he said. “I think he would have to walk away.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...0/news-story/61f1cd4be5f604d090e2901604e2ab6d

Mjab

Juniors
Apparently promised family that hie kids can experienced schooling in France, not sure if he has family connections but that's the story, with Fitz taking over then.

It could be while off going to France with corona

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I can guarantee you he will be a chook next year. I have faith in Owen
He will I agree, I have heard him say he will honour his deal which ends after next season. But if they win this season he might be there even longer. If they don’t and don’t again next year he’s a chance to replace Mary in 2022. Basically long story short there are bugger all good coaches in 2021 available.

The calm one

Juniors
He will I agree, I have heard him say he will honour his deal which ends after next season. But if they win this season he might be there even longer. If they don’t and don’t again next year he’s a chance to replace Mary in 2022. Basically long story short there are bugger all good coaches in 2021 available.
You are right there. There is no guarantee uncle Wayne will leave the bunny's. I am not a fan of Paul Green, georgallis us to inexperienced and I don't want another old boy, or jobs for the boys. What's left???? I would take uncle Wayne because he attracts new blood

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
You are right there. There is no guarantee uncle Wayne will leave the bunny's. I am not a fan of Paul Green, georgallis us to inexperienced and I don't want another old boy, or jobs for the boys. What's left???? I would take uncle Wayne because he attracts new blood
All roads lead to Mary in 2021, I’d nearly just rather that if I’m honest than a caretaker coach who goes okay and just squeezes us into the finals earning a 3 year extension.

Old Timer

Coach
mary and millward out fitzy and brown in problem solved.
Mc Fookknuckle & Basil out & my 90 year old mother and 15 year old grandson in also problem solved.

Mum would take to the place with a straw broom and sweep the place very clean and knows where to find the cockroaches and bludgers and the grandson’s ruthless SuperCoach attitude would keep them all on their toes.

I wonder if Career Coach has Hunt & Norman in his SuperCoach team as that is what he must be getting confused with when he says he is working long hours and staying up late.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I don't know how 4 wins out of 12 becomes 5 out of 6, maybe Benny is talking about a different period of time in an alternate universe.

There's a number of contradictions in the article. For a start, he says that Gordon "demands success at the highest level" but McGregor's job is safe because Gordon "sticks to his guns."

If McGregor is a head coach in name only and Gordon has such high standards, then how is McGregor's job safe?

The only thing that made sense was "they don't want to write a cheque out and say see you later." And yet, they repeatedly extended McGregor's contract on the back of a poor track record. Smart business?

And then Toovey weighs in with McGregor's pride and how he would never allow for it. FMD, so he's going to walk away and lose a pay out figure?

“Mary is a proud man he’s doing a good job under the circumstances,” he said. “I think he would have to walk away.”

What nonsense. Plus exactly what are these "circumstances" and what do you rate as a "good job"?