What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

getsmarty

Immortal
Norman-Widdop swap deal torpedoed before it even got off the ground
Adrian Proszenko
August 5, 2020 — 6.23pm
  • Send via Email
A Corey Norman-Gareth Widdop swap has been torpedoed as Jason Saab spoke for the first time about his reasons for wanting to leave St George Illawarra, declaring: “It’s kind of like a marriage that didn’t work out.”

Norman was signed as Widdop’s replacement after the Great Britain international decided to finish his career in England, but the moves haven’t worked out for any of the parties. The Dragons are keen to move on Norman, who is on $850,000 next year, just as Widdop weighs up a potential NRL return after his personal circumstances changed.

Managers and the role they play when NRL coaches look for a new position: Phil Gould

The developments sparked suggestions of a trade with Norman being swapped for Warrington playmaker Widdop. That, however, won’t happen. Norman has no intention of leaving, knowing he won’t be able to command anywhere near the money he is on at the Red V. Further, Wolves chief executive Karl Fitzpatrick told SEN’s Breakfast with Joel and Jimmy program that the club has no interest in the former Eel.

The Dragons have first rights on Widdop’s signature should he wish to resume his NRL career, but the club has no intention of doing so. Widdop, who hasn’t yet asked Warrington for a release, may pursue other opportunities in Australia should they arise.

Norman has been dropped for the Roosters clash, a bitter blow given he was representing Queensland this time last year. However, coach Paul McGregor denied the club was trying to force him out.

"The first time he hasn't been picked in 18 months at the club and we're talking about Gareth coming back already," McGregor said. "That's too unfair at this raw stage to even talk about it. And it hasn't been mentioned to me with the recruitment either.

124cd93177c5760917238deb7b30902acff9281d

Corey Norman won't be switching places with Gareth Widdop.Credit:Getty Images

"I have not been told anything about that and it's just so unfair to the player, in Corey, that's here. We want Corey to play well this year."

However, it appears at least one Dragon will be moving on at the end of the season. Saab has been granted permission to explore his options elsewhere for next year despite being contracted until the end of 2022.

The winger asked for a release on compassionate grounds on several occasions and the Dragons finally agreed to allow him to test the market at the end of the season.

“There’s never any bad blood between the club and myself," Saab said. "Whenever I go out there I love playing for the Red V. It’s just unfortunate my circumstance with what’s going on away from footy is not really working out.

“That’s an ongoing process, but when I cross the white line, nothing else matters.

“We were able to sit down and have a chat about it – it was a good, long chat. It was a bit daunting, but it is what it is.

“At the end of the day, if you’re not happy off the field, you won’t be happy on it.

“It’s kind of like a marriage that didn’t work out, that sort of situation.”

Saab has made just four NRL appearances this year, taking his total to seven. The 19-year-old, who commutes from Merrylands to Wollongong daily for training, is stuck behind flankers Mikaele Ravalawa and Jordan Pereira.

“I always stress the fact that we get paid to throw a footy around; I don’t want to come across as ungrateful,” he said.

“I’m extremely grateful to do what I’m doing, but with the family situation, that comes first. I’m doing what’s best for myself and my siblings, most importantly.”
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/no...-even-got-off-the-ground-20200805-p55iwk.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Who’s really the head coach? Legend suggests Flanagan is pulling the strings at Dragons
Dragons
89b62f755d38eac580d70ef34d403eb7

Dragons coach Paul McGregor and Dragons assistant coach Shane FlanaganSource: Getty Images
Tigers great Benny Elias has suggested that Paul McGregor is no longer leading the Dragons coaching, implying that Shane Flanagan is now running the show at St George Illawarra.

Flanagan was brought in during the off-season as an assistant to help McGregor who has struggled to get the Dragons’ big-name roster firing.

The ex-Sharks coach, however, is not allowed to take a role as a head coach due to an NRL ban.

Elias insists that Flanagan is in charge in all but name and has highlighted why McGregor is under no threat of being sacked.

“He’s safe as houses because they don't want to write a cheque out and say see you later,” Elias told NRL360.

781901_640x360_large_20200805192847.jpg

Who is in charge at Dragons?

“I’m very good friends with the chairman Andrew Gordon, he’s a very good bloke and a smart man.

“He’s a bloke who sticks to his guns, they make a decision they stick to it.

“I don’t think he’s happy at all he demands success at the highest level, he [McGregor] is safe because he’s committed and he’s abided to his deal with the bloke.

“Shane Flanagan is his offsider. I think Flanagan would have a lot more influence now as an assistant and he’ll have a lot more to do with the coaching in the top grade.

“It makes sense, Flanagan has won a premiership and has the ability and responsibility and knowledge to win a premiership.

“Reverse the position. McGregor you’re the assistant, Flanagan you’re the coach. I think potentially it may have happened. It’s been working, they’ve won five out of six.”

Former Manly coach Geoff Toovey said such a situation would see McGregor quit.

“Mary is a proud man he’s doing a good job under the circumstances,” he said. “I think he would have to walk away.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...0/news-story/61f1cd4be5f604d090e2901604e2ab6d

Mjab

Juniors
Who’s really the head coach? Legend suggests Flanagan is pulling the strings at Dragons
Dragons

Dragons coach Paul McGregor and Dragons assistant coach Shane FlanaganSource: Getty Images
Tigers great Benny Elias has suggested that Paul McGregor is no longer leading the Dragons coaching, implying that Shane Flanagan is now running the show at St George Illawarra.

Flanagan was brought in during the off-season as an assistant to help McGregor who has struggled to get the Dragons’ big-name roster firing.

The ex-Sharks coach, however, is not allowed to take a role as a head coach due to an NRL ban.

Elias insists that Flanagan is in charge in all but name and has highlighted why McGregor is under no threat of being sacked.

“He’s safe as houses because they don't want to write a cheque out and say see you later,” Elias told NRL360.

“I’m very good friends with the chairman Andrew Gordon, he’s a very good bloke and a smart man.

“I don’t think he’s happy at all he demands success at the highest level, he [McGregor] is safe because he’s committed and he’s abided to his deal with the bloke.

“Shane Flanagan is his offsider. I think Flanagan would have a lot more influence now as an assistant and he’ll have a lot more to do with the coaching in the top grade.

“It makes sense, Flanagan has won a premiership and has the ability and responsibility and knowledge to win a premiership.

“Reverse the position. McGregor you’re the assistant, Flanagan you’re the coach. I think potentially it may have happened. It’s been working, they’ve won five out of six.”

“Mary is a proud man he’s doing a good job under the circumstances,” he said. “I think he would have to walk away.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...0/news-story/61f1cd4be5f604d090e2901604e2ab6d
And some people on this forum want Toovey as coach
He’s a f wit saying Mary is doing a good job :grimacing:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
And some people on this forum want Toovey as coach
He’s a f wit saying Mary is doing a good job :grimacing:
He’s good mates with Mary. He’s just a loyal bloke no harm in that. They played origin together. I loved seeing him stick up for Mary and stick it into Flanno. Don’t get me wrong I’m no Mary fan but I’m a fan of mates sticking up for each other especially with the bunch of parasites they usually get on 360 who’d backstab their own mum to sell a story.

blacksafake

First Grade
Dragons

So Andrew is very good friends with Benny hey. Says a lot about Andrew.:thinking:

denis preston

First Grade
He’s good mates with Mary. He’s just a loyal bloke no harm in that. They played origin together. I loved seeing him stick up for Mary and stick it into Flanno. Don’t get me wrong I’m no Mary fan but I’m a fan of mates sticking up for each other especially with the bunch of parasites they usually get on 360 who’d backstab their own mum to sell a story.
Our club is full of mates sticking up for each other AND thats the problem !

Inisai Toga

Juniors
The Vaughan portion of this rumor might well now have some legs. His breach of the COVID rules (pretty black & white) may well be a demonstration of his head space.

Perhaps your right and it may well be, but i feel it should still be secondary to his behaviour which in this instance is pretty selfish both on the RL community and team mates isn’t it? Rules are pretty clear. Get good quid these blokes, wouldn’t have thought it was that hard..

matPORTS

Juniors
Perhaps your right and it may well be, but i feel it should still be secondary to his behaviour which in this instance is pretty selfish both on the RL community and team mates isn’t it? Rules are pretty clear. Get good quid these blokes, wouldn’t have thought it was that hard..

Yep, agreed.

SEAT 1A

Bench

Agree Insai,

Not that hard and can't see us winning tonight however, a rep player wound not go astray.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Our club is full of mates sticking up for each other AND thats the problem !

Some confusion here with what's a virtue and what's not

Loyalty (dictionary definition)- a strong feeling of support or allegiance

Loyalty (SGI version)- not wanting to sack an employee, even though that employee has shown themself to be incompetent and is bringing the club into disrepute, because 1. they used to play for the club 2. there would be a financial cost to the club and 3. most importantly, it would imply that the SGI Board made a bad appointment in the first place.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Welch is a prop who probably knows Kerr. With Frizell going, Tariq Sims out of form and De Belin not available we need hard running players who can set up and score tries.

Latest posts