What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who will be the Warriors new coach?

Well, this is what you get when you say no to an experienced coach like Toovey.

We will end up signing Griffin or Green, and they will know that they weren't the main priority.

No. Payten only would of got offered 1 year. Gree
Then Lara Pitt is calling Todd Payten a liar. He's either a liar, and he used his father in law's ill health and undisclosed other factors to pretend the 1-year contract wasn't the factor, or he's telling the truth (which I believe) and Lara Pitt is talking shit. He seems like a relentlessly honest guy. What would be his motivation to make stuff up when he could very easily say 'they offered one year and it's not enough'? I mean, he's been forthcoming at every turn. Says Blair is not going well enough, says we only have 3 footballers, he covets the Cows job, that Robinson telling Green he was released blindsided him..this guy has no issue revealing stuff.

And the second part is pure guesswork. OK, I'd probably bet on it being true that we are in Australia next year but no one knows. No one can possibly know. Is that what passes for journalism on that show?

Todd is masking a bit of the truth there. Using the chemo card has merits though. Payten is being professional as he can be on this matter but indirectly saying FU to our new owner by coming out publicly denying the job. It was only for 12 months. The truth is we have all our eggs in 1 basket for this experienced coach that has 1 year left on his contract.

Whoever was going to be appointed head coach for 2021 is not going to be the coach in 2022. I don't blame Todd for jumping ships.

When asked about coming back for his final year as assistant coach and turning down the head coach job. That to me shows he wants to get fired so he can move to NQ faster.

This coach we have up our sleeves better be a good one.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
OK, that's a different slant on it. If this person (who do we think it is?) is coming in 2022, then to be honest with the disruption likely in 2021 with being based probably in Australia etc, that's not a bad thing. And I don't blame Payten if he doesn't want a part of that either. Maybe the stuff he isn't telling us is he thinks Mark Robinson is a wanker.

Leber

Bench
Yeah... no way Payten would have only been offered one year.

And with Gould coming on board (potentially), that will eliminate Griffin from the running.

JJ

Immortal
Just saw the Gould stories...

I know not everyone is a fan, but the guy is a league savant... I remember reading Maria Fenech's book (which I recommend), Gould was in the Souths team mid-late 80s, Fenech said he was coaching the team then, not George Piggins, and he was amazing... then Canterbury, Penrith, SOO, and the Chooks as a coach - if he's continued coaching, I have no little doubt that his record would dwarf the likes of Bennett etc... but I don't think he's a 10+ year at one club guy - to be fair few are...

And again, while controversial his off field roles at the Roosters and Penrith have been (IMO) successful with very different scenarios

I know he isn't universally liked, I know people perceive agendas, but if he can't help turn the joint around I am not sure anyone can

Big Marn

Juniors
Just saw the Gould stories...

I know not everyone is a fan, but the guy is a league savant... I remember reading Maria Fenech's book (which I recommend), Gould was in the Souths team mid-late 80s, Fenech said he was coaching the team then, not George Piggins, and he was amazing... then Canterbury, Penrith, SOO, and the Chooks as a coach - if he's continued coaching, I have no little doubt that his record would dwarf the likes of Bennett etc... but I don't think he's a 10+ year at one club guy - to be fair few are...

And again, while controversial his off field roles at the Roosters and Penrith have been (IMO) successful with very different scenarios

I know he isn't universally liked, I know people perceive agendas, but if he can't help turn the joint around I am not sure anyone can
So what did Brian Smith achieve in the time that he was here? Wasnt he brought over to sort us out?

Rich102

Staff member
TBH at this stage the club needs someone of his stature just to survive.
Coach nominees dropping like flies.
No recognised players wanting to come.
Uncertainty over Covid19.
A CEO with NFI who wants to meddle.
An out-of-control owner who shoots from the lip.

Little wonder Green left.
To be replaced by..............................

JJ

Immortal
So what did Brian Smith achieve in the time that he was here? Wasnt he brought over to sort us out?
Is there a point you're making?

Smith, to my understanding, was never the "boss", Smith also isn't Gould...

But if you have a better idea than Gould in charge (which is what the role would have to be - f**k off George etc, and let Gould run the joint), I'd be interested to know what it would be...

Big Marn

Juniors
Is there a point you're making?

Smith, to my understanding, was never the "boss", Smith also isn't Gould...

But if you have a better idea than Gould in charge (which is what the role would have to be - f**k off George etc, and let Gould run the joint), I'd be interested to know what it would be...
Actually I was being completely literal. What did he achieve? Is there anywhere we can find out out what he actually did here? Was he hamstrung in any way by the owners or the coach or the CEO? I would like to know. Maybe lessons can be learned if Gould did come over. Otherwise he will just piss off in 5 minutes if he thinks there is no buy in.

JJ

Immortal
Actually I was being completely literal. What did he achieve? Is there anywhere we can find out out what he actually did here? Was he hamstrung in any way by the owners or the coach or the CEO? I would like to know. Maybe lessons can be learned if Gould did come over. Otherwise he will just piss off in 5 minutes if he thinks there is no buy in.
Gotcha, yeah little but the whole structure is wrong, seems like George and Kearney were in charge which is clearly insane

Gould is better no question, but he, or Smith even, needs control

Penrose_11

Juniors
Nathan Brown. I thinking he’s been asked to coach for 2021 only and move sideways if they get their big fish

Leber

Bench
Brown has been confirmed.

Just bizarre. We need a rebuilding coach. That, he is not

Leber

Bench
Think that’s the only thing he has a claim to be?
He only coaches successfully with established teams with good rosters. We don’t have that.

We need a coach that can rebuild and will draw in talent.

He won’t do that.

Still, better than those crazy walker bros

Latest posts