What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who will be the Warriors new coach?

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
He only coaches successfully with established teams with good rosters. We don’t have that.

We need a coach that can rebuild and will draw in talent.

He won’t do that.

Still, better than those crazy walker bros

Think you’re being a bit harsh on him there. His initial Dragons sides were always full of talent and he couldn’t quite get them over the line, but left them in good condition for Wayne to bring it home

Huddersfield he took from a straggler to a team running at the top of the Super League. St Helens I’m not sure exactly what his record was there

Knights he took over a side that Wayne had decimated, slowly but surely he took them in the right direction each season while being honest about where they were at

For me he has shown he can build a side up, maybe not take them to the summit but he does get them to higher base camps, and it was an easier job in Newcastle, but he did show an ability to draw players when you consider he added top line talent like Pearce, Ponga and Klemmer while also signing quality experienced NRL guys like Guerra, Watson, SKD etc

SmashEmBro

Juniors
Outside of the top coaches that I didnt really think we'd get, I think I would have been happy with Anthony Griffin, however if it was out of Griffin or Brown AND Gould, then I'm happy with that.

Let's be honest, we can only improve from here

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
He only coaches successfully with established teams with good rosters. We don’t have that.

He won’t do that.

Aye? Did you see the Knights roster before he took over? Have you seen what he handed over to O'brien this year?

What he did at the Knights is the exact definition of a rebuild.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I don't like the Knights - Warriors comparisons.

Yes, the Knights roster was shit when he arrived and yes he helped to rebuild it, BUT - he did so with a shitload of cap at his disposal and recruitment opportunities we could only dream of.

He's not going to do things the same way because he won't be able to. Not saying he can't do it, but it's a much harder path than what he had in front of him at the Knights.

SmashEmBro

Juniors
I don't like the Knights - Warriors comparisons.

Yes, the Knights roster was shit when he arrived and yes he helped to rebuild it, BUT - he did so with a shitload of cap at his disposal and recruitment opportunities we could only dream of.

He's not going to do things the same way because he won't be able to. Not saying he can't do it, but it's a much harder path than what he had in front of him at the Knights.

I don't really get this - he won't be able to do the same thing that he's done at the Knights? Literally every coach who comes to us won't be able to do the same thing at the Warriors, due to the differences of our club.
I think he's been able to rebuild before, he's been able to attract quality players before, hopefully he's bringing Gould with him...

I think the Warriors have had a lot to be miserable about this year, I see this as a huge positive and something that can gives us a glimmer of hope for the next few years

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Can we all be realistic though? Whoever our next coach is, is not going it be winning us a premiership. If we can get this appointment right, and sort out the club top to bottom, then the next bloke who we hire will probably be the person to take us there.

Everyone on this forum talks shit about our team and our players and our club and in the same breath you expect a bennett, Bellamy, hasler etc to come here?

No one is sacrificing their legacy to rebuild us, but give them some hope and then they will come. Ideally that will be Brown or the next coaches objective. If they win a prem on their way then that's a bonus.

Were a good 4 or 5 years away from becoming a consistent top 8 team realistically.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I don't really get this - he won't be able to do the same thing that he's done at the Knights? Literally every coach who comes to us won't be able to do the same thing at the Warriors, due to the differences of our club.
I think he's been able to rebuild before, he's been able to attract quality players before, hopefully he's bringing Gould with him...

I think the Warriors have had a lot to be miserable about this year, I see this as a huge positive and something that can gives us a glimmer of hope for the next few years

What's not to get?

People who are saying it's a good signing is because the job in front of him is similar to the Knights.

I'm saying that it's not the same.

Other coaches are irrelevant within the context of those parameters.

For all his rebuilding he finished 16th, 16th, 11th.

Average coach who will get average results.

Leber

Bench
Aye? Did you see the Knights roster before he took over? Have you seen what he handed over to O'brien this year?

What he did at the Knights is the exact definition of a rebuild.

And did the see the Knights results from 2018-2019 after he had been in charge for two years and had already made ample changes? Still shit.

The year he left they had a 4-6 squad arguably and they finished 11th. New guy comes in, and they are sailing high. Browns 4 years of ‘amazing rebuilding’ didn’t ‘magically click’ all of a sudden.

Plus, and most importantly, for some reason, the knights are able to draw big names to them, whereas we are not seen as a great recruitment destination. Look at all the blokes that have said no to us over the years. We need someone to counter that.

Rich102

Staff member
So Brown is "a senior figure in the game with one year remaining on his contract"?
You learn something new every day.

Johns Magic

Referee
I’m excited to see how Brown goes with you guys if he gets the job.

I think he loves roster-building and he did it well at the Knights. He doesn’t just sign middle-of-the-road guys to pad out the squad. He is much more targeted and ambitious.

His surfer-dude act gets a bit nauseating but he has charisma which I think helps land signings. I also have a hunch it’s what turned the squad against him in the end - Brown seems like he likes to be one of the cool kids, and
I suspect when the coach is tighter with some players than others that that could grate on the other players.

His actual coaching didn’t reflect very well with us. But he has got results elsewhere in that department.

I think the Knights were right to part ways with him, but I still enjoyed his stint with us and think he will be great for you.

Benek

Juniors
I don't know what to think of this. Brown is no slouch. Way better than SK and probably better than Payten. But with all the talk of the big-name senior coach with one year left on his contract, I don't get the sudden U-turn. Feels like we just settled for third choice.

If Gould comes too, I'm happy with this. He'll have player pulling power to help shape a new roster. And Brown has shown that he can be a good rebuilder. If it's just Brown, I'm not sure he'll be able to attract the players we need.

Tongue

Juniors
Pretty good interview. Some interesting things mentioned about pathways for younger players that has been implemented at the club.
Gould will help here also.

Also read some valid comments about Browns relationship with St George’s indigenous players in the past. Correlation here given Warriors culturally diverse pool of talent.

Back to Payten saying stuff going on in background, wonder if that stuff was Gould?

Rich102

Staff member
We have yet to learn what Gould's role will be.
Hopefully it is head of football and he tells CG to stay out of things.

Benek

Juniors
We have yet to learn what Gould's role will be.
Hopefully it is head of football and he tells CG to stay out of things.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12354420

The New Zealand Warriors could announce the appointment of NRL commentator and former coach Phil Gould as Director of Football within days, in a move designed to help the struggling NRL club "rediscover its mojo".

Gould confirmed on Thursday night that he had been in talks with the Warriors about a role to "overhaul the club's pathways and development systems".

According to Australian media, Gould would assist the club with strategic direction, while also looking after the development of young talent by "taking on a consultancy role with the club aimed at helping them rediscover their mojo".

jaseg

Juniors

He won’t do that.

Huddersfield's last winning season before him was 2002 - in the second division, not the Super League - hardly an established team. Brown had a winning record every year he was there ('09-'12).

I don't really have much faith in him, but seems like a weird/off specific criticism.

Latest posts