What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Queensland Maroons 2020

DeeJ

Bench
Would anyone consider having Mann in the centres this year? I think he would make a decent utility, but with our lack of options, he might be useful to fill a waning gap.

blue bags

First Grade
Last edited:

myrrh ken

First Grade
No need for Inglis. So many excellent centres to pick from:

M Seve
H Hunt
T Moga
G Cooper
J O'Neill
D Gagai
C Norman
M Mbye
B Lee
T Opacic
G Shibasaki

davi

Juniors

If AJ Brimson continues to go like he did on the weekend he could be one of them. I'm not sure where you would put him though. He won't be selected as the full back or five-eighth. He has been injured most of the year as well and will have tear up in the remaining games of the season to be any chance.

aqua_duck

Coach
Not sure why Tuala never got more of a go at the cowboys considering they had Hess getting massacred out there last year but have been impressed with him this year at the knights and he could be a smokey now he's got that left centre spot cemented at the knights

Big Pete

Referee
@beave @Desert Qlder maybe able to elaborate but from memory he had a couple of shocking performances and was basically thrown in the 'too difficult' pile. It was probably fair enough as well, he wasn't ready for consistent first grade at that stage, but the recruitment management was so poor up at Townsville they had to resort to playing Hess in the centres.

It speaks to Green's unwillingness to develop talent. Even if Tuala wasn't ready, they should have had somebody else on hand to fill in given the amount of talent they produce. It should never have come down to Tuala and J. Bowen, a decision on Bowen should have been made years before.

The less said about recruitment the better. As a Broncos fan, I know the story all too well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're only a couple of months away from the series now and the more we edge closer the likelier it appears it's going to go ahead. It's still difficult to see what this series is going to look like with the crowd's and lack there of but at least we know now there's every chance there's going to be a series.

It's going to be a tough series as well, I sense it'll be a battle of attrition which should suit NSW given their depth. With all three Queensland teams struggling, it doesn't give the Maroons as many options as they would like, but I actually think the Maroons head into this series looking stronger. Ponga is playing better football, Grant appears to be a likely option at dummy half and some of the forwards are really coming of age. They shouldn't have to rely on a Dylan Napa or a Jarrod Wallace like previous series with Welch, Fa'asuamaleaui, Carrigan, Su'A, Molo etc. putting their hands up. I also think we're starting to see some good signs for the future from Tabuai-Fidow, Coates, Asi, Dearden, Gilbert etc.

Earlier in the year, Queensland picked a 33 Man Squad. Outside of Harry Grant and Fa'asuamealui, I'm curious to see who else will come into the side and how exactly they'll handle this three week format. Will we see a similar size group head into camp for those three weeks?

blue bags

First Grade
good old boys
inglis
folour
c smith
billy Slater
Karmichael Hunt
:)
even thurston can make a comeback
and ben barba benny bad boy, just got let off by the courts,
benny can slot straight in:p
looking like a very experience team now with all the older boys

beave

Coach
@beave @Desert Qlder maybe able to elaborate but from memory he had a couple of shocking performances and was basically thrown in the 'too difficult' pile. It was probably fair enough as well, he wasn't ready for consistent first grade at that stage, but the recruitment management was so poor up at Townsville they had to resort to playing Hess in the centres.

It speaks to Green's unwillingness to develop talent. Even if Tuala wasn't ready, they should have had somebody else on hand to fill in given the amount of talent they produce. It should never have come down to Tuala and J. Bowen, a decision on Bowen should have been made years before.

The less said about recruitment the better. As a Broncos fan, I know the story all too well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're only a couple of months away from the series now and the more we edge closer the likelier it appears it's going to go ahead. It's still difficult to see what this series is going to look like with the crowd's and lack there of but at least we know now there's every chance there's going to be a series.

It's going to be a tough series as well, I sense it'll be a battle of attrition which should suit NSW given their depth. With all three Queensland teams struggling, it doesn't give the Maroons as many options as they would like, but I actually think the Maroons head into this series looking stronger. Ponga is playing better football, Grant appears to be a likely option at dummy half and some of the forwards are really coming of age. They shouldn't have to rely on a Dylan Napa or a Jarrod Wallace like previous series with Welch, Fa'asuamaleaui, Carrigan, Su'A, Molo etc. putting their hands up. I also think we're starting to see some good signs for the future from Tabuai-Fidow, Coates, Asi, Dearden, Gilbert etc.

Earlier in the year, Queensland picked a 33 Man Squad. Outside of Harry Grant and Fa'asuamealui, I'm curious to see who else will come into the side and how exactly they'll handle this three week format. Will we see a similar size group head into camp for those three weeks?

Green kept moving Tuala from centre to wing and it seemed to just f$&@ his confidence. He’s a centre IMO, unfortunately he isn’t super quick and was found out heavily on the wing when kicks would be put in behind him. He’s a meat and potatoes centre but highly serviceable and worth keeping in the 3/4 for mine.

NQ is a f**king basket case, I’m glad he is getting a constant gig somewhere else and not putting up with our bullshit.

Big Pete

Referee
While Green was never a development coach like Muzza, it always appeared that it was going to take Enari a few seasons to find his feet. He's actually had to play on the wing for Newcastle on a few occassions and he was nowhere near as bad as he was at the Cowboys.

I just think it takes longer and while Green didn't handle things as well as he should have I don't have an issue with having a 21-year old Tuala come in and out of first grade. If Trent Robinson can do with 21-year old Joey Manu then any player is fair game.

Obviously Green should have been more patient and should never have released him for Esan Marsters but at the same time, I think linking up with Ponga did him the world of good.

It's going to be a very interesting off-season for the competition in general. I can see a lot of major shake-ups with player rosters and I think the Cowboys will be one of the first teams in line to get their balance right.

beave

Coach
While Green was never a development coach like Muzza, it always appeared that it was going to take Enari a few seasons to find his feet. He's actually had to play on the wing for Newcastle on a few occassions and he was nowhere near as bad as he was at the Cowboys.

I just think it takes longer and while Green didn't handle things as well as he should have I don't have an issue with having a 21-year old Tuala come in and out of first grade. If Trent Robinson can do with 21-year old Joey Manu then any player is fair game.

Obviously Green should have been more patient and should never have released him for Esan Marsters but at the same time, I think linking up with Ponga did him the world of good.

It's going to be a very interesting off-season for the competition in general. I can see a lot of major shake-ups with player rosters and I think the Cowboys will be one of the first teams in line to get their balance right.

It will take NQ minimum of 2 seasons to get out of this mess. IMO we are in a bigger hole than the broncos but because we are ‘out of sight out of mind’ up there, the club is escaping the spotlight unlike the Broncos. The roster management up there has been a f**king disgrace. I said it last year, why would you extend Gavin Cooper for another 12months??? We still have Granville, Oneill, Hampton, Maclean, for another season.

And Hess for another 2.

FML.