What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 13 - Rabbitohs vs Broncos: Friday 7th August 7:55pm @ANZ Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
Another huge week this week as we go up against the Broncos on Friday night. I say a huge week because in my opinion, this is one of those games we just have to win. We simply must win and walk away with the two points on Friday night, no excuses. It's also a big week because it's a big rivalry for us. Souths vs Brisbane has become a great rivalry in the infamous coaching swap and it is now a rivalry full of hate and spite. No doubt there will be fireworks come Friday night.

We will probably go in as favourites due to the Broncos' position on the ladder but I do genuinely believe this is a danger game. We can't afford to take them lightly in any way. They still have a very quality roster on paper and after the way they've been going, they'll be super fired up to turn it around against us so we need to be ready for that. They are capable of flicking the switch any week and putting in a good game. They still have dangerous players that can be hard to stop on their day such as Staggs, Croft, Milford, Haas and Fifita (who is a chance to return from injury this Round I think). We'll need to be on to stop those guys.

For us, we need to continue to build and improve. Last week was pretty bloody good but it wasn't perfect. I still don't think we've played well for a full 80 minutes yet so hopefully that is a focus. Our starts need to be better and then we need to maintain that rage for the whole game. I think the defence needs a bit of work for this week too and hopefully the attack, although good last week, will continue to improve. Would love Cody to back up his big game with a similar performance on Friday and hopefully Reyno is good to go. Hopefully our forwards will be fired up once again too as their pack is decent and it'll be a good battle there.

It's also our return to ANZ this week which will only add to the occasion.

It'll be another week of celebrating Indigenous culture for us too. I believe it is NAIDOC week. We always celebrate that well. The club has already confirmed that once again, we will be proudly wearing our Indigenous jersey on Friday night.

So yea, big week, we can do this!!

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Yeah big game, getting close to a must win game. Bennett will not want to lose this one. Need to stop Kotoni Staggs. He damaged us last time we played, and did damage to Cronulla in his first game back.

callmack1

Staff member
Here's my predicted Line Up for Round 13,

1. Mitchell
2. Paulo
3. Graham
4. Gagai
5. Johnston
6. Walker
7. Reynolds (C)
8. Tatola
9. Cook
10. Burgess
11. Su'A
12. Sironen
13. Murray

14. Nicholls
15. Knight
16. Johns
17. Mago

I think the starting 13 will be named as the same as last week. Reyno is obviously in some doubt but it sounds like he trained today so hopefully he's good to go. We of course may also be missing Jaydn. He'll be named in the team and I guess we'll find out tomorrow night if he actually plays or not. If he's out, then Keon could be in line for his first start as an NRL player I reckon. Some may be surprised I think that Johns will be named on the bench ahead of Koloamatangi. It's nothing against Keon, he was great last week but Wayne has confirmed that Johns will play this week as he's using a bit of a rotation policy for the fringe guys. if Jaydn is good to go, I just feel that it'll Keon who takes a step out this week to keep that rotation going.

callmack1

Staff member
Round 13 Line Up vs Broncos: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/08/04/round-13-line-up-vs-broncos/

Pretty happy with that for this week! Good to see the same 17 that played so well last week. Obviously there are clouds over Reyno and Su'A for different reasons but really hoping we'll see both of them run out onto ANZ on Friday night. If not, then I assume Dargan and Johns will come in. Must admit, I am surprised that Johns hasn't been straight up named as Wayne said last Round he'd be playing last week. Oh well, still happy to see quality young guys like Mago and Koloamatangi in the side.

So yea, good Line Up this week!

Travitoh

First Grade
Playing Brisbane again? I would've thought the NRL would wait until 16 rounds in before playing reverse fixtures this season.

I don't know how to feel about this. My gut tells me it's not going to go well. Hopefully I'm wrong.

callmack1

Staff member

callmack1

Staff member
Coaches Media Round 13: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/08/06/wayne-media-round-13/

So Wayne has confirmed that the bench will remain the same with Johns coming in to replace Su'A. Not a bad call but it'll be a massive task for Johns. Let's hope he's upto it! Wayne also confirmed that Reyno is good to go which is a boost!

Almost a Bronco - Bennett's always been big fan of Walker: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/08/06/almost-a-bronco-bennetts-always-been-big-fan-of-walker/

Training Gallery - Round 13: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/08/06/training-gallery-round-13/

‘Do you call telling the truth ripping in?’ Bennett doubles down on Seibold spray: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/ec8fb03dfd8492b02858b4ef03ef7259

‘Fifth best fullback at the club?’ - Bennett backs Boyd in another dig at Seibold: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...d/news-story/08ed712479f49c3cbe78386081035537

Last edited:
I am very nervous about this game.

As others have stated, Kotoni Staggs tore us a new one in Round 2 and may well do so again. His form in his comeback game was excellent and I think he may not be scarred as much as his teammates in their recent run of losses.

Fafita coming back is also a big one and he has destroyed us before.

I predict us to win in a tight contest but I have zero confidence.

callmack1

Staff member
Game Day is here!! Huge day for us. Seriously, this is a big one! Souths vs Brisbane has become a massive rivalry in the space of two years, there is genuine hate in this clash now and in my opinion, this game is personal. We have to go out there and play like it's personal too, we have to be fired up! Not only that, but I see this as another must-win game there's no doubt about that.

I felt confident earlier in the week but now I feel like the Broncos are really going to click tonight. They will give us a game I feel and we're going to have to be on. They really do have a great side on paper. Boyd, Staggs, Haas, Pangai Jnr, Fifita, we're going to be up against it to controll them but that is the key to winning. We must be on in defence and we must contain these players, the forwards especially. Sounds like it's going to be a wet game so the forward battle is going to be very important.

For us, as I said, it's must-win. Wayne has given us a big distraction heading into tonight but I really hope we can overcome that and it doesn't effect us too much. We have to. We must have a 'next job' mentality. The ball handling was good last week and that needs to continue tonight. Defence can be better, that is the big area we need to improve on in this one. Su'A is a loss but Johns can step up into his place and I'm hoping our spine fires once again!

So yea, massive game! We can do this!!

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Game Day is here!! Huge day for us. Seriously, this is a big one! Souths vs Brisbane has become a massive rivalry in the space of two years, there is genuine hate in this clash now and in my opinion, this game is personal. We have to go out there and play like it's personal too, we have to be fired up! Not only that, but I see this as another must-win game there's no doubt about that.

I felt confident earlier in the week but now I feel like the Broncos are really going to click tonight. They will give us a game I feel and we're going to have to be on. They really do have a great side on paper. Boyd, Staggs, Haas, Pangai Jnr, Fifita, we're going to be up against it to controll them but that is the key to winning. We must be on in defence and we must contain these players, the forwards especially. Sounds like it's going to be a wet game so the forward battle is going to be very important.

For us, as I said, it's must-win. Wayne has given us a big distraction heading into tonight but I really hope we can overcome that and it doesn't effect us too much. We have to. We must have a 'next job' mentality. The ball handling was good last week and that needs to continue tonight. Defence can be better, that is the big area we need to improve on in this one. Su'A is a loss but Johns can step up into his place and I'm hoping our spine fires once again!

So yea, massive game! We can do this!!
yeah must win, but I'm pessimistic. I'm tipping a L, disrupted week, no coach, no Su'A, rainy wet weather, almost all their fowards back, useless Milford out of the way - not good omens.

We seem to be having a significant disruption every fortnight since the start of the comp, no wonder we aren't travelling to well on the table (albeit I expected 7th or 8th in a rebuilding season).

Hope I'm surprised but doubt it

Rabbits20

Immortal
FIRE UP LADS!!!! We simply have to want it more. It’s getting wetter as the day is going on but I know we can do it.

My voice is raring to go. Gonna be awesome being back on home turf at ANZ as well. I’m heading to the game.

Gagai on Staggs is a worry.

TPJ looking elsewhere I heard earlier this week, hopefully he will be disinterested and Fifita is very under done. Some Flegler and Lodge knock ons would be nice along with Boyd slipping on the spot as last line defence at fullback.

@callmack1 this rain is getting heavier it’s absolutely bucketing down now bro. Reyno and his kicking game will be crucial.

I think there will be lots of errors tonight.

Anyhow Glory Glory must find a way to win.

Let’s go and get these Broncos!

I will also be on Reyno watch watching closely ready to shout out if he’s tackled late after he kicks.