What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 13 vs Roosters

rasaint

Juniors
That’s true St Phil but he also defended very well including a fabulous inside driving leg cutter stopping an almost certain Teddy try. He also is one player who has looked dangerous with ball in hand.

You are correct in noting he got nospam29 and should have passed to Jordan. Again rocks and diamonds. Zac dropped the ball at the get go with a low ball play and then was easily stepped by Aubusson when he scored. Zac recovered to then do some very good plays including a great bollocking run to score and like Aiken saved a try.

Old Timer

Coach
I know there is not much this club can give us at present to remain hopeful but you can't blame people from looking for positives, can you ?
In trying to find some glimmer of hope or a positive I simply take the point of view that we have to be honest in how we appraise that and as I say if Flanno is in charge at this point in time (which is what people are saying) then I don't see any hope for the future as what I am seeing is shit and unacceptable.

Therefore what I am saying is if people think we have improved and Flanno's hands are all over it then best they think again because they are seeing "individual" improvement (hard work by certain players) but as a team we are still shocking.

Now if he is not in charge and is just there as a jock strap for Mary then I look forward to seeing what he brings to the table.

You and I both know we have seen some of this before but the good things was it never lasted for long and we never really had "bludgers" in the team so that's what makes this so hard is the duration of it all and the shit players on big $$$ milking it for all its worth.

Dragon David

First Grade
In trying to find some glimmer of hope or a positive I simply take the point of view that we have to be honest in how we appraise that and as I say if Flanno is in charge at this point in time (which is what people are saying) then I don't see any hope for the future as what I am seeing is shit and unacceptable.

Therefore what I am saying is if people think we have improved and Flanno's hands are all over it then best they think again because they are seeing "individual" improvement (hard work by certain players) but as a team we are still shocking.

Now if he is not in charge and is just there as a jock strap for Mary then I look forward to seeing what he brings to the table.

You and I both know we have seen some of this before but the good things was it never lasted for long and we never really had "bludgers" in the team so that's what makes this so hard is the duration of it all and the shit players on big $$$ milking it for all its worth.
I would have been happy this year for us to have been on a winning streak like we did in the years preceding 2019 and with the usual fade in the second half of the comp than what it has been from 2019 to now. At least then there was the glimmer of hope. Last year and this year there have not really been any positives and even with Flanagan coming onto the scene, after the "Clayton's" review late last year, we have virtually achieved diddly squat.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
If Aitken refuses to pass he should not be in the team. Bring Ramsey in to centre and drop
Aitken. The team is a mess as few of the combinations work in defence or attack. Mc Gregor and Young had a success rate of 29% in 2019 and 30.7% in 2020 with four coaches. We waste a lot of money on incompetent coaches.

thebigredv

First Grade
The only reason you'd fork out 1.2mil a season is for a game breaker, match winner type player.

Hunts form and mentality issues have been well published but how many games has he been what you'd describe as ' the difference' or a match winner.

I'm struggling to find more than one or two.

That's not a bad signing. It is a tragedy. I think it says it all about our last 9 seasons - it's scary bad.

If Aitken refuses to pass he should not be in the team. Bring Ramsey in to centre and drop
Aitken. The team is a mess as few of the combinations work in defence or attack. Mc Gregor and Young had a success rate of 29% in 2019 and 30.7% in 2020 with four coaches. We waste a lot of money on incompetent coaches.
I also find it amazing that we have so many coaching crutches for McGregor.
Just pay the right amount of money to the very best coach and job done.
Any of the top 6 coaches would not need an entourage of clipboard jockeys to get results.

blacksafake

First Grade
'Selfish behaviour': McGregor reprimands Vaughan as Roosters down Dragons
For our free coronavirus pandemic coverage, learn more here.
Adam Pengilly
August 6, 2020 — 10.09pm

NRL ScoreboardNRLFull fixtures
St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has scolded Paul Vaughan’s COVID-19 breakfast bungle as "selfish behaviour" as the Dragons’ season was snuffed out by a decimated Roosters.

State of Origin prop Vaughan missed the match after being forced into 14-day isolation for eating a meal away from home on gameday, a clear breach of the NRL’s strict biosecurity rules governing the competition’s continuation.

Rabbitohs coach Wayne Bennett has been condemned to the same fate for a similar mishap and won’t be in the box for South Sydney’s clash against Brisbane on Friday night.

McGregor was far from happy with Vaughan’s actions as his side's faint finals hopes were ended at WIN Stadium on Thursday night.

“That’s disappointing,” McGregor said after the Roosters won 24-16. “It’s very disappointing. We’re well aware of what our responsibilities are. We talk about it consistently. There’s no reason for it except it’s selfish behaviour really.

“We spoke about whatever it takes and needing to do the right thing by one another and the game. Everyone’s got to have some sacrifices and that’s just one of them. The game has done a lot to get back going and we’ve got to be respectful of that.”

Vaughan has apologised to the Dragons staff and players, but McGregor was yet to speak to him personally. Vaughan will also be unavailable against the high-flying Eels next week.

Mitchell Aubusson crashed over for a try in his 300th NRL match, becoming just the eighth player to manage the feat in the milestone match.

His first-half four-pointer – along with Joseph Manu’s double and a powerhouse 260-metre, 80-minute performance from Siosiua Taukeiaho – cemented the Roosters’ top-four status.

Trent Robinson’s side were without more than a third of their salary cap with Boyd Cordner, Angus Crichton, Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, Victor Radley, Sam Verrills, Daniel Tupou and the Morris twins all sidelined.

“We had a part where we were on fire and you’re getting big wins and the last 20 minutes is about by how far,” Robinson said.

“Now we’ve gone through a period where we’re fighting for wins and you’re having to manage the last 20 minutes with the game in the balance – and you learn a lot of stuff there as well. That’s the period we’re in.

“If ever it was the ultimate club night and ultimate clubman it was tonight for Aubo.”

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/se...as-roosters-down-dragons-20200806-p55jcq.html

P.S nothing new here...coach just throwing another person under the Bus.....what would a Bennett or Bellamy or Robinson do....They would stick up for their players, acknowledge they made a mistake...while our coach takes NO Responsibility for the mess he has created at our club for the last 7 years............Cannot wait for the day when he is gone...cannot come soon enough.
Loved the bit where he hasn't even spoken to Vaughan yet! but comments in a public forum.
Any decent coach would not comment before talking to the player.
The blokes a deadset knob.

Wolfgang ofihd

Juniors
Sailor was ok. He overplayed his hand and meant dufty hardly saw the ball in the 2nd half. His kicks were ok, nothing special. Clune had a great grubber to force a goal line drop out and if Sims was quicker or JP more aware then it would've been a try. Clune has to be our primary kicker going forward. Sailor needs to be less hands on and pick his moments better. Dufty is our main running and passing threat and he needs to get the ball more often. If you're continuing to play sailor then start him and let clune be the dominant half with dufty playing 2nd receiver and sailor playing off the back of dufty.

Aitken never had a pass and it costs us during numerous games. He's not a center but a backrower. He's only helpful with his strong running game. The sooner the coaching staff and he realises, the better it'll be for his career.

Kaide Simpson had a solid debut for us.

SaintPeter

Juniors
Honestly feel like giving up after 60 years with the Dragons.
I know I wont, but jees we are an embarrassment.
Seriously getting laughed at behind our backs.
Don't know all the answers, but we need some tough hard mongrel forwards desperately.
This team is SOFT.
Rant over.

Wolfgang ofihd

Juniors
Honestly feel like giving up after 60 years with the Dragons.
I know I wont, but jees we are an embarrassment.
Seriously getting laughed at behind our backs.
Don't know all the answers, but we need some tough hard mongrel forwards desperately.
This team is SOFT.
Rant over.

Na mate, don't give up. This time will pass. We're doing it tough at the moment but better days ahead. Just got to stick through it! Something that I do which helps is trying to identify which young player traits/skills we can utilise in the future. Imo j.ford could become a great lock/2rf due to his leg speed/drive and strong defence.

getsmarty

Immortal
2 x basic catch and pass to winger tries MURDERED by Aitken

@ st phil, Although correct in some way, I don't think it cost us the game...Roosters had 9 Players out...9 !!! and we still couldn't jag a win.

In regards to aitken, I have been one of his biggest critics, but I have really like what I have seen in the last few games...flanno must be working overtime with him because he has been a different player.

I would even say that he is worth another year on an incentive deal and make him into a backrower who can also cover centre...He is as strong as a ox and has good leg drive....It's a pity that our coach couldn't improve him in all the time he has been in charge.

Have a good weekend st. phil

qld redvee

Juniors
I also find it amazing that we have so many coaching crutches for McGregor.
Just pay the right amount of money to the very best coach and job done.
Any of the top 6 coaches would not need an entourage of clipboard jockeys to get results.

AND dont forget guys they will all be moved on at the end of the year because they couldnt help supercoach !!!!!!!! - Hows our meditation guy going at the moment

Any underwhelming performance from a side that has become accustomed to losing.

The time approaches games with a mindset of attempting not to lose.

The attack is generally boring and predictable as the players pass the ball from side to side.

Very little straight running

No second phase ball.

The defence is slow moving up.

The players seem to be in a trance, ball watching.

Most of the team seem to be waiting for Dufty or Lomax to ignite the attack.

Dark days at present.

The silver lining is that each loss brings us closer to the demise of McImposter.

Until he goes we will not sign a marquee player.

qld redvee

Juniors
no doubt its already been mentioned but how come we changed all our attack through sailor last night ?? Duffty became "lockedout" of the attack Clune got less ball AND every set ended with sailor hoisting a bomb ... How does supercoach just blindly ( probably just answered my own question ) sit there and not get messages out to change things up . also thought his use of the bench was once again pathetic