What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bunker Bullshit

Meth

Staff member
What concerns me is that we have well paid line officials on the touchlines. Yet the referee still refers it to the bunker.
Surely he should have asked the touchie and then, if still in doubt, refer it to the bunker.
In this case the touchie was well positioned and kept his flag down; case closed.
Get on with the game.

hmmmm. Saw one on the weekend where the touch judge didn't have a clear view and put his flag up. Cost South Sydney a try.

Rich102

Staff member
So if you do a poor job you should get dropped.
Who was the last new referee we saw?

Meth

Staff member
So if you do a poor job you should get dropped.
Who was the last new referee we saw?

To be honest, I was struggling to remember if I had seen Peter Gough before. He is relatively new and went relatively well. I would say that he has been second ref most of his NRL career

Moving from 2 refs to 1 should make it very possible to drop refs for a poor performance.

Meth

Staff member
We've been reffed well over the last couple of weeks. I have no complaints about Gough on the weekend or Sutton v the Roosters or even Cecchin v the Sharks. My last real whinge was the Titans in Round 9

Meth

Staff member
We got dudded last night with Herbert's 'knock on'- he either didn't touch it or he did and knocked it back onto his knees. We reviewed it and they didn't overrule the onfield decision, despite clear evidence that Perenara had (understandably) got it wrong.

JJ

Immortal
We got dudded last night with Herbert's 'knock on'- he either didn't touch it or he did and knocked it back onto his knees. We reviewed it and they didn't overrule the onfield decision, despite clear evidence that Perenara had (understandably) got it wrong.
Shouldn’t it have been a penalty against us for offside? That’s what saw anyway

Im not sure if the rule exists but it went through his arms and onto the knee all backwards, but they call it a knock on a lot as not controlled, unless your Billy Slater. But clearly didn't touch Manly player off Herbert.

Meth

Staff member
Shouldn’t it have been a penalty against us for offside? That’s what saw anyway

No. It looked that way live. But the replays showed Hiku retreating back and getting onside to take the ball behind Herbert.

Meth

Staff member
IMO, that's why the captain's challenge exists- to take a closer look at calls that looked one way live, but on closer inspection, look another way. Replays made it clear. Bunker typically inept.

Big Marn

Juniors
What was your feeling on the obstruction call on Farnsworth last night?
Isn't the guy entitled to stand his ground? Seems to be a gray area.
Is Farnsworth supposed to evaporate or something?

BLN2

Juniors
Over calling the live decision was a stretch, especially looking at one angle. But to give Penrith a line drop out was shocking. The whistle is blown as soon as he caught it. It should have been a 10m play the ball to Hiku.

Shit call.

JJ

Immortal
Over calling the live decision was a stretch, especially looking at one angle. But to give Penrith a line drop out was shocking. The whistle is blown as soon as he caught it. It should have been a 10m play the ball to Hiku.

Shit call.

LOL, yeah. I completely overlooked it - TBH i think the call that Hiku took it back was probably correct (but it was very close), but as you say he wasn't necessarily trapped in goal... either a 7 tackle set to Warriors or line drop out were, as you say, wrong - start the Warriors set from a play the ball...

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I think the overturn against Papali’i last night was fair enough, although you could argue it was an accident and Edwards was trying to play it too quickly

....however, a week or two ago we challenged one like that (I forget what game it was) and the ball was kicked out by the opposition player after our guy put it on the ground. Bunker took 1 look and called it a knock on (simply looking at the wrong camera angle and not looking hard enough) and then to rub it in Blocker took the piss out of us for a bad challenge.

Big Marn

Juniors
Broncos v Raiders:
Some captains challenge bullshit going on last night with the bunker which i couldnt quite understand nor Vossie. Maybe someone can enlighten me....

Penrose_11

Juniors
Broncos v Raiders:
Some captains challenge bullshit going on last night with the bunker which i couldnt quite understand nor Vossie. Maybe someone can enlighten me....
If this is the one your talking then my take on it was.....
Brisbane on attack 5m out. Dummy half goes to pass and Wighton reaches round from marker forcing dummy half to pass ball into ground. Ref called knock on Brisbane. Canberra feed. Brisbane use captains challenge saying Wighton played ball knocking it on. Video shows Wighton hit arm only so captains challenge unsuccessful. Then.... bunker ref pipes up saying Wighton was offside at marker and penalty Brisbane. Onfield ref says captains challenge can’t be used to determine offsides. Then there a bit of a delay while refs discuss etc etc. Decision to go with Canberra feed stands. Confused yet???