What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2021 Jerseys, Sponsorship, Logos etc

sempmrh

Juniors
I’ve heard whispers of puma too. Have a feeling it will go to adidas or maybe Nike to have another dig?
I don’t remember the source but I’m sure I read that it won’t be Puma for the Broncos. Puma supposedly does now have a license to produce for the NRL, though.

The issues with the use of the Opera House in logos is disappointing. However, the Roosters could greatly benefit by switching to their heritage logo and I’m sure the AFL will pay whatever they have to to keep the Opera House shape for the Swans. Disappointing that the Kings have had to change their logo because their logo was timeless - and this comes from a Melbourne United/Tigers fan.

shear_joy9

Coach
Will be interesting to see if Roosters have to change their logo given the Opera House imagery of the Roosters head.

Easy fix

somb.png

Saint Doc

Coach
Well according to this article, the licensing fee for the Kings increased from $1000 per season (a deal initially brokered around the time the Kings went into administration) to $50,000 per season, in line with what Sydney FC and the Swans pay.

interestingly, the article states:
“A League champions Sydney FC have had an arrangement and partnership with the Opera House Trust since 2017 given they display the Opera House on the club’s badge. It’s understood the Sydney Swans have a similar agreement while back-to-back NRL champions the Sydney Roosters don’t have an agreement.”

That said, unlikely to be an issue. $50k would fall out of Nick Politis’ jeans pockets if he turned them upside down.

Nqcowboy

Juniors
Well according to this article, the licensing fee for the Kings increased from $1000 per season (a deal initially brokered around the time the Kings went into administration) to $50,000 per season, in line with what Sydney FC and the Swans pay.

interestingly, the article states:
“A League champions Sydney FC have had an arrangement and partnership with the Opera House Trust since 2017 given they display the Opera House on the club’s badge. It’s understood the Sydney Swans have a similar agreement while back-to-back NRL champions the Sydney Roosters don’t have an agreement.”

That said, unlikely to be an issue. $50k would fall out of Nick Politis’ jeans pockets if he turned them upside down.

https://frinkiac.com/meme/S11E09/12...ZIEhFIEZPVU5ECiBJTiBISVMgVFVYRURPIFBBTlRTLi4u

flippikat

Bench
The issues with the use of the Opera House in logos is disappointing. However, the Roosters could greatly benefit by switching to their heritage logo and I’m sure the AFL will pay whatever they have to to keep the Opera House shape for the Swans.

An updated take on the classic Roosters logo - akin to how the Bulldogs revamped their classic Bulldog logo - would be very cool to see.

T-Boon

Coach
The bridge is more iconic and surely there isn't an F'ing bridge trust so just flip to that on the roosters head.

The Sydney Opera House Trust has slapped a $50,000 annual price tag on the use of its likeness in the logo of the Sydney Kings – and the city's other sports teams could soon be asked to pay a similar fee.

The Kings are set for a rebrand after the National Basketball League decided it was no longer "cost-viable" to use the badge the club has had since its inception in 1988, which features a squiggly line stylised to resemble the Opera House sails.
The Kings had previously paid a nominal amount – believed to be as little as $1000 – to use the imagery for a 10-year period from March 2010 as part of a deal which was later taken over by Basketball Australia.

That contract expired this year and, after fresh talks with the Opera House Trust, the NBL – which now owns the intellectual property rights of all teams – decided it could not afford the rich asking price, especially in a post-COVID climate for basketball.

An Opera House spokesperson confirmed negotiations took place over a new trademark licence agreement for a "modest fee", which sources close to the discussions confirmed as $50,000, but that no agreement was reached.

The Swans, Roosters and Sixers could soon face similar demands. Those clubs do not have such licensing arrangements in place with the Opera House, despite all of them paying tribute to the venue in their logos. The Swans even use it in the heart of their AFL guernsey.

Sporting teams who want to use the Opera House as part of their imagery could be set to pay a hefty price. EDWINA PICKLES

"The recent approach with the Sydney Kings is part of an ongoing process to ensure consistency in commercial brand use and trademark licences," the Opera House spokesperson said.

The logo trademarks of the Swans and Roosters are both up for renewal in 2026, according to the IP Australia website, which could give the Opera House an opportunity to seek a substantial fee akin to what was asked of the Kings.

Curiously, no logo trademark was found for the Big Bash League's Sixers, whose badge features an outline reminiscent of the Opera House sails.

"I said there might be a bit of a misunderstanding of the nature of how things are now, as we're certainly not rolling in cash.

"It would be an interesting outcome if basketball, which is certainly the minnow in the pond compared to the football codes, was asked to fork out funds we didn't have – and the big machines, the AFL and NRL clubs, were given it for free."

The prospect of a rebranding has not been met kindly by Kings diehards who are upset that the team is doing away with a visual link that has lasted more than 30 years.

"We did not do [this] on the basis of trying to distance ourselves from the heritage of the club. We were just playing the cards we were dealt," said Kings chairman Paul Smith.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.sm...50-000-price-tag-on-logo-20200807-p55jqj.html

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Will be interesting to see if Roosters have to change their logo given the Opera House imagery of the Roosters head.

Sydney Kings are changing their logo due to infringing the Opera House’s intellectual property.

1200px-Sydney_Roosters_logo.svg.png

Hahah, i never spotted the opera house sails in this...

I suddenly have so much more respect for the logo (they should definitely change to the Training logo design, but still)

Saint Doc

Coach
Modernise it a bit and it be good, like details in the feathers, to me it looks a little too old timey and basic, but that’s my opinion

Sorry I know this is verging on needing to go in the mockup thread, but just quickly, I saw this on Twitter the other day. Very nice mockup. If roosters were in trouble because of the opera house sails in 2021, this would be a great new logo

Nqcowboy

Juniors
Sorry I know this is verging on needing to go in the mockup thread, but just quickly, I saw this on Twitter the other day. Very nice mockup. If roosters were in trouble because of the opera house sails in 2021, this would be a great new logo

That Zander one is mint, has a real Tottenham vibe