What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons fun fact..

possm

Coach
Since the inception of St George in 1921, the longest period between Grand Final appearances for the club has been 11 seasons. 1999-2010.

If we don’t make the grand final by 2022, we will break this record.

Can we avoid the record-breaking streak?
We will not avoid such a horrible record without a major cleanout of staff and players. It needs to happen now in order to give a new coach and staff the opportunity to make changes ahead of the 2021 season.

Dragon David

First Grade
I would definitely like to see us make the grand final in first grade in 2022. The club needs to start rebuilding now with stronger forwards and quicker wingers and a strike centre for 2021 and put in place a positive approach to lead to success.

2022 isn't too far away in reality so work on rebuilding needs to start immediately.

Realistically, I don't think we will be able to achieve this if we continue in the same way as in the past 8 years.

Old Timer

Coach
Not a hope in Hades.

At best and that means massive changes in staff and roster 2023 is the beginning of the next window.

In that time coaching staff, medical staff, and at least 1 / 3rd of the playing squad needs to turn over.

Major clean out 2021, 2022 fine tuning positions and start procuring the "necessary" key players to have a shot 2023.

Most likely in that time that Sims, Vaughan, Hunt, Norman, Aitken, Sailor, JP, even Mc Innes (might do a Frizz and go looking for a premiership) might all be missing from the 2023 campaign and even though some are less than productive it is still a big job replacing them with someone genuinely better and who will prove the "difference" between competing for the title and actually winning it.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Since the inception of St George in 1921, the longest period between Grand Final appearances for the club has been 11 seasons. 1999-2010.

If we don’t make the grand final by 2022, we will break this record.

Can we avoid the record-breaking streak?
From Saints' perspective, our first decade began in season 1921 and ended in season 1930.

So since 1921 we have qualified for a decider/grand final every decade.

In 2010, we scraped in.

In 2020... well the runs just aren't on the board.

Another record broken thanks to our wonderful board and coach.

From Saints's perspective, our first decade began in season 1921 and ended in season 1930.

In 2010, we scraped in.

I thought the same but realised we missed out for the first time in the 2000’s...

Andrew Gordon is a big problem , and is calling a lot of the shots ....

On NRL360 the other night, Benny Elias said that:

- he and Andrew Gordon are really good mates;
- Mary's position is as 'safe as houses';
- Andrew demands success (like LOL);
- Andrew is not happy with the club's performance but, apparently, he's a man of his word and a deal is a deal - he won't look to terminate Mary's contract (wow, such integrity).

So the f#*kwit owner of the Illawarra club places loyalty above success, or should I say misplaces.

That's the joint venture super club for you.

Straight Shooter

possm

Coach
I would definitely like to see us make the grand final in first grade in 2022. The club needs to start rebuilding now with stronger forwards and quicker wingers and a strike centre for 2021 and put in place a positive approach to lead to success.

2022 isn't too far away in reality so work on rebuilding needs to start immediately.

Realistically, I don't think we will be able to achieve this if we continue in the same way as in the past 8 years.
The trouble is, each season we keep on pushing out the date a couple of years each season.

Something like tomorrow never comes.

We need to clean out the current management team and replace them with professionals who know what they are doing. Then design a project with the aim of making the grand final.

TruSaint

Referee
From Saints' perspective, our first decade began in season 1921 and ended in season 1930.

In 2010, we scraped in.

Shameful.

If one looks at our history, even in down times, we have somehow managed to reach a GF.

No need to look to far back as the 50's and 60's were littered with success, to a lesser extent the late 70's. Then you have 85,92,93,96,99 etc...

Not fricken bad.

There was always a hope, even against the odds. 96 for me was magical taking into account the turmoil.

How low we have sunk alright.

At the risk of getting into that old chestnut territory of when a decade starts and ends, our decade ends this year.

Either way, they have destroyed another proud piece of our history.

I love a chestnut... but prefer almonds..

The 20’s started in 1920.
The 30’s started in 1930..

And so on.

But... I think that we are 2-3years away from another possible GF appearance. We need a big noise in the halves, a 3rd “gun” prop and a lock akin to JDB.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I love a chestnut... but prefer almonds..

The 20’s started in 1920.
The 30’s started in 1930..

And so on.

But... I think that we are 2-3years away from another possible GF appearance. We need a big noise in the halves, a 3rd “gun” prop and a lock akin to JDB.

You’re wrong because of one simple premise; there wasn’t a year zero. As such, all decades have the anomaly of ending with a 0. Ergo, the 10s actually end at the end of 2020.

hazzbeen

Bench
On NRL360 the other night, Benny Elias said that:

- he and Andrew Gordon are really good mates;
- Mary's position is as 'safe as houses';
- Andrew demands success (like LOL);
- Andrew is not happy with the club's performance but, apparently, he's a man of his word and a deal is a deal - he won't look to terminate Mary's contract (wow, such integrity).

So the f#*kwit owner of the Illawarra club places loyalty above success, or should I say misplaces.

That's the joint venture super club for you.

Straight Shooter
WANKER'S