What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ford facing three-game ban for trip

TruSaint

Referee
Dragons forward Jackson Ford is facing a three-week ban after he was charged with tripping Roosters five-eighth Luke Keary.

The NRL match review committee has announced Ford has been charged with a grade-three offence for his tackle, in which he upended Keary by using his leg, during St George Illawarra's loss to the Roosters in Wollongong on Thursday night.

He can receive a two-game ban if he enters an early guilty plea.

Roosters hooker Jake Friend and winger Ryan Hall have received grade-one dangerous contact charges for incidents involving Adam Clune and Zac Lomax respectively but they will avoid a one-match ban if they plead guilty.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/08/07/round-13-judiciary-charges/

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra's Jackson Ford facing three week suspension for tripping
https%3A%2F%2Fimageresizer.static9.net.au%2FoGsi4rFnxv-uWS9Y2_r-LctsabY%3D%2F75x75%2Fsmart%2Fhttps%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F90bc8d92-514f-4d3e-9490-46c6cdf8f196
By Brett Graham
5 hours ago
St George Illawarra back-rower Jackson Ford could be out for three weeks after being charged with tripping by the NRL's match review committee.

Ford will be sidelined for two games if he takes the early guilty plea, or three matches if he fights the charge and loses at the judiciary, after being hit with a Grade 3 tripping charge.

The incident happened in the 76th minute of the Roosters' 24-14 win over the Dragons.

Roosters star Luke Keary came crashing down on his head as he crossed for a try after Ford came in with a soccer-like slide tackle that Nine's Andrew Johns labelled "dangerous."

"Well that's nearly the send-off offence," Nine's Phil Gould said in commentary.

"In the old days that's a send-off.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Fcf39b0c5-bcb1-42be-9cd5-cbdd62980423

Jackson Ford has found himself in hot water for a 'dangerous' trip on Luke Keary. (Nine) (Nine)
"You can't do that. There are ones where you get wrong-footed and you stick a foot out but this is one where he's actually can't get there with his hands and he's kicked out with his legs.

"It's a send-off. That should have been a send-off."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/jackso...udiciary/85aab447-5a6a-435c-8ad2-bfa3966356fc

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons: Ford facing three-week stint on sidelines after tripping charge
Local Sport
r0_0_4387_2886_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Jackson Ford is facing an stint in the sidelines. Picture: NRL Imagery
THE Dragons forwards depth is set to be tested, with young-gun Jackson Ford facing a three-week stint on the sideline after being slapped with a grade-three tripping charge.

The charge stems from an incident late in Thursday's loss to the Roosters when Ford made a last ditch effort to prevent Luke Keary from scoring the match-winning try in the 75th minute.

The ban could be reduced to two games with an early guilty plea, which could be entered on Saturday.

The loss is also set to cost the club veteran back-rower Tariq Sims for a stretch after he left the field with an AC joint injury. He'll undergo scans to determine a more solid return timeframe but is facing an extended stint on the sidelines.

It's something the Dragons can ill-afford with Test prop Paul Vaughan missing two games after being ordered into quarantine for breaching COVID protocols on Thursday. It will see all three out of action for Friday's match against the Eels.

Coach Paul McGregor left no doubt as to his feelings about the breach following Thursday's loss.

"We're well aware of what our responsibilities are, we talk about it consistently, so there's no reason for it other than it was selfish behaviour really," McGregor said.

"I haven't spoken to him. We've got a WhatsApp group and I explained the punishment that's been handed to him by the NRL, then concentrated on what we needed to do today.

"It's not what you need from one of your senior players, someone that's important to your footy team. It's disappointing if it was anyone. It's just a behaviour that you shouldn't do.

"We spoke about (doing) whatever it takes and doing the right thing by one another, making sacrifices and that's just one of them. The game's done a lot to get back going so we've got to be respectful of that."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/6869015/ford-facing-tripping-ban/?cs=302

qld redvee

Juniors
How does the match review decide that this trip gives ford a 2 week holiday BUT jake friend gives clune a good old fashioned coat hanger and gets nothing ???????????? If clune had of stayed down for a minute or 2 and then gone off with a HIA i wonder what the match committee would have graded it ..
the old dragons getting the rough end of the pineapple again it just never goes our way does it

TruSaint

Referee
How does the match review decide that this trip gives ford a 2 week holiday BUT jake friend gives clune a good old fashioned coat hanger and gets nothing ???????????? If clune had of stayed down for a minute or 2 and then gone off with a HIA i wonder what the match committee would have graded it ..
the old dragons getting the rough end of the pineapple again it just never goes our way does it

We've had some bad calls over the years, and I get your frustration. But here, they got it right. A trip like that was a send off years back.

It was a poor act, and deserved the suspension. The replay shows it clearly.

gitano

Juniors
I don't mind a dog shot, at least it shows you're taking the loss personally.
Our side just accept losing.

redv13

Bench
I don't mind a dog shot, at least it shows you're taking the loss personally.
Our side just accept losing.
Go teach your mate basic skills like catch and pass. Would have won that game last night. Aitken being a 1st grade centre is a dog shot to all Saints supporters

possm

Coach
We've had some bad calls over the years, and I get your frustration. But here, they got it right. A trip like that was a send off years back.

It was a poor act, and deserved the suspension. The replay shows it clearly.
I thought fines were imposed for a trip!

SGMax

Juniors
I hope Ford fights this. Complete over reaction to cite him.
I couldn't see contact by Ford's feet. He only went feet first because of the fend from Keary.
Nonetheless, an attempted trip should not be a grade 3.
Keary seems to be a protected species.

Apologies if there was an actual trip.
My comments are based on my view that Ford didn't make contact with his feet and, that he led with his feet only as a result of being put off balance by Keary's fend which also caused Keary to land awkwardly.

KiamaSaint

Coach
I couldn't see contact by Ford's feet. He only went feet first because of the fend from Keary.

My comments are based on my view that Ford didn't make contact with his feet and, that he led with his feet only as a result of being put off balance by Keary's fend which also caused Keary to land awkwardly.
Yes, I thought he went into the tackle with his hands, was fended off, caught off guard and only then he reacted with his legs. People are making out he led with his legs.

SIR LANCELOT

Juniors
I am over it. No consistency at all. Cannot see any fairness across the board. No wonder fans are turning away from the game. Me included. ( Well sort of. )

possm

Coach

It seems to me that many people at the NRL are out to bash the Dragons. In my opinion, the is a growing desire within the NRL to weaken the Dragons so much that we accept a future NRL recommendation that we fully locate to Wollongong and give up our St George district junior clubs to the Sharks, Dogs, Tigers and Rabbits.

Examples made of De Belin's stand down, Firzell's
brushing past a referee, Flanagan's suspension and many other injustices lead me to believe we must strongly defend each and every attempt by the NRL to unjustly punish our Club.

Last edited:

TruSaint

Referee
It seems to me that many people at the NRL are out to bash the Dragons. In my opinion, the is a growing desire within the NRL to weaken the Dranons to that we accept a future NRL recommendation that we fully locate to Wollongong and give up our St George district junior clubs to the Sharks, Dogs, Tigers and Rabbits.

Examples made of De Belin's stand down, Firzell's
brushing past a referee, Flanagan's suspension and many other injustices lead me to believe we must strongly defend each and every attempt by the NRL to unjustly punish our Club.

Mate, this conspiracy theory is just that.
We created this mess. Every club has had bad decisions.

Every single club. Many in big games. 7 tackle sets, the 6 again blunder, etc etc etc.

By the way, just how did the NRL punish Saints when Flanagan was suspended twice for breaches at Cronulla ?

Did the NRL force us to employ him ? His suspension hurt Flanagan and the sharks. WE decided to employ him.

As to JDB, he will have his day in court. He had the chance to fight the stand down rule, filed to do so, and then didn't proceed.

If Saints were liquid and thought it was worth fighting for, they could have challenged the NRL.
They didn't.

Times are tough and I would say its not on the NRL but our board. We wouldn't be discussing such matters if we were competing week in week out.

We would be talking about football.

possm

Coach
Mate, this conspiracy theory is just that.
We created this mess. Every club has had bad decisions.

Every single club. Many in big games. 7 tackle sets, the 6 again blunder, etc etc etc.

By the way, just how did the NRL punish Saints when Flanagan was suspended twice for breaches at Cronulla ?

Did the NRL force us to employ him ? His suspension hurt Flanagan and the sharks. WE decided to employ him.

As to JDB, he will have his day in court. He had the chance to fight the stand down rule, filed to do so, and then didn't proceed.

If Saints were liquid and thought it was worth fighting for, they could have challenged the NRL.
They didn't.

Times are tough and I would say its not on the NRL but our board. We wouldn't be discussing such matters if we were competing week in week out.

We would be talking about football.
I can't think of another head coach that was banned for two years to be appointed to the position of head coach but later allowed to perform the duties of assistant coach. To me, it seems a restraint of trade and seems that there is an ulterior motive there. If character is the problem, then it should not discriminate between assistant and head coach.

The NRL's stand-down policy is unfair to the Dragons who played no part in the alleged crime. The Dragons had to carry De Belin's salary cap and most of his salary even though it did not have a say in the decision. I posted at the time that if the NRL wanted to implement such a decision, then they should take full responsibility for their decision; take over De Belin's contract and wipe it from the Dragons salary cap. In addition, they should have taken care of his continued training and mental health issues.

In their submission, the NRL claimed that the De Belin issue was costing the game millions of dollars in revenue, however, if the NRL would have just negotiated a stand down quietly and directly with De Belin, there would have been little to no media hype and not detremental effect on the game or the Dragons.

getsmarty

Immortal
fordj-200806_gt_133.jpg

INJURIES

Ford suspended for fortnight
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Mon 10 Aug 2020, 11:41 AM

St George Illawarra back-rower Jackson Ford has taken the early guilty plea on a grade three tripping charge following the Dragons' last start loss to the Sydney Roosters.

Ford will now be suspended for the next two games.

Tariq Sims is also facing time on the sidelines after suffering an AC joint (shoulder) injury against the Roosters.

A follow up on Sims's condition will be detailed in due course via the Dragons' Westfund high performance update.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/08/10/dragons-back-rowers-face-time-on-sideline/