What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 13 vs Wests Tigers @ McDonald Jones Stadium

Who will win? Round 13: Knights v Wests Tigers

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• Wests Tigers 1-12

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Knight Vision

First Grade
Something that impressed me with Green was that he was out there directing players. This is his first game with us and with very little training and it was like he had been a part of the team for ages. He could read the game and knew where to position.
He definitely settled us and gave us the option to open up and let others play more naturally without pushing it. There was no rushed panic back and forth from side to side. We had direction.
The pressure off Pearce's game helped.
Everyone did their job out there today.
after many of those tries he was in the ear of Fitz, looked like he was telling everyone what he wanted from them.

He was impressive.

Faked to move one way went another, faked to pass and kicked , faked to kick and passed, he had them guessing.

Pearce is a valuable member of the team but he needs a man like Green and he delivered tonight

Knight Vision

First Grade
Still impressed with some of his defence tonight and its a luxury to have a player so versatile in the side. He replaces Watson
I agree, Watson's money is better spent elsewhere ....for the sake of the squad use the money for another quality prop or a damaging winger or go towards another top quality half should Green not go around next year.

We all know Fitzy has been the weakest link here but perhaps he's been used incorrectly. Tonight he was strong and it's no coincidence
One swallow does not make a summer. He plays well when the team is playing very well. I've seen nothing from him to suggest he will ever be more than a fill in, and from an outsider it appears to come down to attitude. He needs to grow a pair.

although Ponga was great tonight, we still haven't seen close to his best. If he is at his best, we can beat anyone and that's exciting
in a top team going well Ponga would give Tedesco a run for the best player in the comp. The kid is a gun.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
I know his service will improve, but I was impressed with Mann's work at 9 tonight. He actually had some good instinctive play out of dummy half. For example, the try assist to Jacob Saifiti when he jumped out of dummy half and threw a nice short ball before the line. Quality play and just his toughness suits playing in the middle. I was really impressed

Last edited:
I agree, Watson's money is better spent elsewhere ....for the sake of the squad use the money for another quality prop or a damaging winger or go towards another top quality half should Green not go around next year.

One swallow does not make a summer. He plays well when the team is playing very well. I've seen nothing from him to suggest he will ever be more than a fill in, and from an outsider it appears to come down to attitude. He needs to grow a pair.

in a top team going well Ponga would give Tedesco a run for the best player in the comp. The kid is a gun.
I am one of Fitzy's harshest critics but I feel as though he did indeed play like he "had a pair". Still plenty to prove, sure but if he plays up the middle, gets the arm out and the legs pumping, he'll have more good games than bad ones.

On Ponga, he has more natural ability than pretty much anyone, ever. He's hardly even used his footwork this year but it will come with the added freedom and reduced pressure.

Jono078

Referee
I've been very critical of King in the past. He has been a slug. Seems to have a bit more spirit in him now. He could make a good backup. Time will tell.
I just wanted to touch on this. I maybe wrote him off too early in the Brownie days, but he is looking fitter, faster and stronger and is playing like he belongs out there and knows what his role is.

Keep it up young fella! Playing for a contract may be inspiring this too.

According to the presser Mann approached AOB and said he could do the full 80 at 9 if AOB wanted it.
AOB is impressed with his effort and that he can play almost anywhere. Pearce was expressing admiration for what Mann has put in.
AOB not happy how some of our young guys switched off a bit in the last 10.
Dafiti back next week.
Barnett lost a tooth. He's livid.

Last edited:

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Best thing about tonight is that we went on with it after half time. So many times in the last decade or so we’ve had a comfortable lead at half time and then the second half just becomes a shit fight and we either make it needlessly hard for ourselves or the game just becomes boring.

The fact that we went on to score another 4 second half tries and concede nothing was excellent. Yes the Tigers were awful but we were pretty switched on tonight which is a great sign. Now we need to back it up again next weekend against Manly.

Joel-22

Juniors
So provided we make it to the finals and there are no more injuries, this should be our side for the race to our inevitable GF win:

1. Kalyn Ponga
2. Starford To'a
3. Enaria Tuala
4. Bradman Best (fingers crossed)
5. Hymel Hunt
6. Blake Green
7. Mitchell Pearce
8. David Klemmer
9. Kurt Mann
10. Daniel Saifiti
11. Lachlan Fitzgibbon
12. Aiden Guerra
13. Mitchell Barnett

14. Phoenix Crossland
15. Jacob Saifiti
16. Herman Ese'ese
17. Pasami Saulo

Joel-22

Juniors
Re: Mann and his long-term place in the side. I think the answer is obvious. He is a better, cheaper version of Watson.
Mann can own that no. 14 role next year and provided us with real spark

Alex28

Coach
You have anything to add about the game this week?
Sure! I did say last week that Pearce would be better with an actual 5/8 and Mann needed to move to Hooker.

Turns out I was right!

It was only the Tiges, so let’s not get ahead of ourselves, but they looked much, much better with another old head out there making some decisions in attack.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Pearce was no better though. Green drove the bus for him and the TEAM was infinitely better for it.
very true, there was a marked difference between the 2 halves with ball in hand and attacking kicks.

Pearce is definitely at a low point the poor bugger. Let's hope the win gives his confidence a boost.

Rich102

Staff member
Looked like Green had a pretty good game for you.
Smart player.
Glad he found a good home.
Underappreciated at the Warriors.

Frederick

Staff member
The biggest benefit of Green yesterday was that, rather than Ponga putting up bombs, he was allowed to lead the chase and actually contest the ball.
1000000000%

It freed ponga from the burden of trying to create something every set, and let him get back to doing what he does best - run fast and break ankles