What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Knight Vision

First Grade
If Nathan Brown becomes Warriors head coach and they get Gus as well, will they poach some of our lads?

Good luck to Brown though. Hope he does well.
I imagine top of the list will include many NZ born kids in the NRL, second tier would be those with Kiwi heritage, that have potential. So there's no doubt be a few Knights kids on the list of possible recruits.

EdLondon

Juniors
I remember a number of years ago signing Likiliki. He was phenominal in under 20s but just never adapted. It's always interesting seeing who steps up to NRL level. I think Beau Henry signed at the same time.

Johns Magic

Referee
I imagine top of the list will include many NZ born kids in the NRL, second tier would be those with Kiwi heritage, that have potential

I’m sure there will be Kiwi targets for the Warriors. But Kearney’s approach was too heavily focused that way and it was to the side’s detriment.

I suspect Brown will have a more balanced approach. I think he will have a big focus on keeping their good juniors that are still over there. He will I’m sure selectively try and bring some Kiwis back like RTA and Tohu Harris as well.

But Kearney had a hard-on for signing almost exclusively Kiwis...Adam Blair, Gerard Beale, Peta Hiku, Nikorima, Paasi, Leivahi Pulu, Ah Mau, Gavet. Those sort of players will not get a bid from Brown in the same way IMO(yes I realised we actually tried a few of those names but not as a theme...and Kearney made sure to insanely outbid us on Blair and Ah Mau).

I think first thing Brown will try and do is bring in some experienced hard-heads and some stable spine players, regardless of where they’re from.

Silent Knight

First Grade
I remember a number of years ago signing Likiliki. He was phenominal in under 20s but just never adapted. It's always interesting seeing who steps up to NRL level. I think Beau Henry signed at the same time.

Yep Beau Henry, Siuatonga Likiliki and Kyle O’Donnell. The future of the Knights.

Yosh

Coach
Looking at the stats this year, we have very little try assists and line break assists. I wonder if Blake will help in this department...

We very low on individual errors which is great to see.

Yosh

Coach
No where to really post so just continue here... We don't make many errors and we're the best at not making effective tackles. Also, don't concede many penalties.

We also close to never make intercepts. Just looking at the stats, we are a super safe defense orientated team.

That's what Obi was after first right? Hopefully our attacking stats start to pick up or we're very mid table at most things.

Knight Vision

First Grade
No where to really post so just continue here... We don't make many errors and we're the best at not making effective tackles. Also, don't concede many penalties.

We also close to never make intercepts. Just looking at the stats, we are a super safe defense orientated team.

That's what Obi was after first right? Hopefully our attacking stats start to pick up or we're very mid table at most things.
also very poor in second faze play, our forwards rarely offload in comparison to others, even given that Klemmer has added an offload to his game this year......

I know AOB mentioned defense first and earn the right to attack but I do wonder if we arent playing an expansive enough game in attack and being too conservative and structured.

K-Man

Bench
also very poor in second faze play, our forwards rarely offload in comparison to others, even given that Klemmer has added an offload to his game this year......

I know AOB mentioned defense first and earn the right to attack but I do wonder if we arent playing an expansive enough game in attack and being too conservative and structured.

I worry about this too, but my issue is more that "expansive" doesn't have to mean passing the ball side to side or playing hot-potato stuff. We seem to get into a rut in games where when we do decide to break out of our defensive shell and actually try to score, the way we go about it is very predictable. We're getting about 20-30% of the threat from Ponga that I feel we should be getting inside the opposition half. From what I see it's all just a bit too slow and cumbersome, shifting the ball sideways for the sake of it with no real purpose.

I'd love to see us punch into the line a bit more and have our playmakers recognise the opportunities created by a quick play-the-ball or second-phase play. That's when you want Pearce/Ponga getting the ball early with options short and long, decoy runners, and structure in this situation is absolutely fine - but execute it at speed and mean it! So often we go wide after absolutely no momentum has been created whatsoever, and we get gobbled up or turn it back inside to Guerra/ Fitz for another nothing settler.

Hopefully Green, who is a smart operator, will be better at seeing opportunities and working the numbers quickly. Pearce has been terrible at making things happen this way, and in fact we look most dangerous when it's Mann attacking a retreating defence. The problem is Mann doesn't have the passing game or vision to capitalise as often as he should, but he's the one in the right spot, choosing the right time to go to the line.

I'm wondering if the new recruitment guy we signed might have had something to do with Green being signed. We sign him then we get Green.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Obi would have been shitting hinself after the Cows game knowing he needed a true half to support Pearce or the season was gone.
indeed, the alarm bells were sounded long ago,

I dare say AOB knew it before the season but wasnt in a position to get the right person.

Alex28

Coach
His agency is still active. His brother is the other agent on their books.
And the negative media starts... I guess it’s nice that Danny Weidler remembers who we are now. He hasn’t mentioned us in ages...

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/sb...g-again-says-eddie-jones-20200808-p55jwn.html

“The Newcastle Knights are going down a path that has led to problems at other NRL clubs.
Isaac Moses, who is challenging the NRL’s decision to cancel his accreditation as a player agent, is now a powerbroker at the club. He manages coach Adam O’Brien and assistants Willie Peters and David Furner. Moses used to work with the club’s new recruitment officer Clint Zammit. He also manages players Blake Green, David Klemmer, Andrew McCullough, Kurt Mann, Hymel Hunt, Enari Tuala, Tautau Moga and Gehamat Shibasaki.

People in league circles are now referring to the Knights as the mini Broncos, who have an all-Moses coaching staff and a host of players. Before O’Brien arrived, Moses’ impact at the club was minimal. Previously, he had a big presence at Parramatta (during a difficult time for the Eels) and Wests Tigers (when they had the so-called big four). The Warriors have now moved on many of Moses’ players.“

“His move to the Knights from the Warriors was also acrimonious. Warriors coach Todd Payten hammered him in a media conference during the week.

And now that he is at the Knights you have to wonder how Kurt Mann feels. Mann has been among the Knights’ best and most consistent players this year and is being shifted from five-eighth to make way for Green.”

“While on the Knights, Bradman Best is a huge part of Newcastle’s future. Or at least they hope he is. However, questions are being asked from his inner circle as to why he was left out on the field for as long as he was with a serious ankle injury during last week’s loss to the Storm.

Best will have an operation on Tuesday and faces a lengthy stint on the sidelines. A rising star hobbling around on the field wasn’t a good look for the game or the club.”

Latest posts