What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ref Calls and Our Games

Yosh

Coach
Just watching the Roosters and Titans game and just saw:

Tedesco gives away a professional foul but stays on because Dodd scores the try. 4 points because of missed conversion.

Two minutes later, Kelly professional foul gets sent off, Roosters take the two and then the next play Tedesco throws a forward pass but gets awarded a try.

The refs are just giving it to the Roosters.

I used to think every 50/50 calls go against us for a decade and many here would have agreed. Do you guys think we get more 50/50 calls this season?

Frederick

Staff member
Tedesco gives away a professional foul but stays on because Dodd scores the try. 4 points because of missed conversion.
This is the rule. If the try wasnt scored the Teddy wouldve been off the field

aqua_duck

Coach

Two minutes later, Kelly professional foul gets sent off, Roosters take the two and then the next play Tedesco throws a forward pass but gets awarded a try.

I used to think every 50/50 calls go against us for a decade and many here would have agreed. Do you guys think we get more 50/50 calls this season?
I think people get over emotional whenever the roosters are involved and lose their common sense. With the Tedesco non sin bin, I mean that's the rule and has been for years, same thing with us for the 2 penalty tries we were given against the tigers and raiders, penalty try given offending player doesn't get binned and no one was whinging about it, you can hardly say titans were robbed. With the Tedesco passes, it was line ball as was his one to Ikuvalu that got called back.
To be honest the only times I've kind of thought were advantaged by bad reffing were the Broncos and south's who just happen to be 2 of the most popular teams in terms of memberships and TV ratings. If I remember correctly there were 2-3 occasions where Broncos had incorrect calls go their way last year which helped them get home in close games but this year with both teams being quite mediocre those bad calls haven't really had much baring

Silent Knight

First Grade
I haven’t really had a problem with the refs this year. Most games we’ve received the rub of the green and the games we’ve lost I’ve put it down to the poor attitude of some of our players, it has had nothing to do with the refs.

Burwood

Bench
I think we’ve had quite a few favorable results with the refs this year.

The only game I’ve been shitty at the refs was when we last played Melbourne- got sick and tired of watching them get away with their markers not being square, or when they would play the ball but take a step forward or to the side and our markers were no longer square. I’m expecting the exact same thing to happen tomorrow.

Knight Vision

First Grade

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fspor.2020.00019/full

Although a different sport the analysis is interesting. In short - YES referees do have a preference for high profile teams and players. But this is something quite obvious really.

As an unbiased observer not giving a crap about the outcome I notice rulings obviously bias toward the team expected to win.

It's great to see we are now getting the rub of the green over some clubs, but I expect more fancied opposition to get favorable calls when we play them. Human nature I guess.

What ref would want to officiate a game where the fancied heavily favored team is beaten creating a media storm of nitpicking and controversy all through the week. Better just let them win and have a stress free week I say.

Knight76

Juniors
Fans will always gripe about calls going against them and alleged bias.

But, I do think teams that are up the top, or always contending teams get more of the rub of the green. Expected to win so they get the benefit of the calls in a lot of cases.

In our case, I think it is a combination of factors that has meant we have not gotten the calls going our way.

Factor 1) We have been a wooden spoon quality team over years and just are not expected to win, as above our opposition gets the benefit of that.

Factor 2) Our own ineptitude puts us in a position to have calls go against us. For instance, we had a great deal of trouble making metres per set ending our sets within our own half much of the time and getting poor kicks away. We also finished most games well down on possession count meaning we didn't have the footy very often. It's hard to get penalties without the footy.

In short, we sucked and thats life. As we get better, the calls should start getting better also.

Spot On

Coach
People like Skeepe who can't enjoy a game of footy because they believe every refs decision is wrong, should be committed.

Pitiful f**king existence.

Last edited:

Knight Vision

First Grade
It was a strange one but Jsaf didn’t promote the ball, he grabbed hold with his other hand, that and momentum from the tackle moved it to the line. He did nothing wrong to disallow the try.
some of those ex players commentating dont even know the rules of the game which is amazing. Then again their rules of the game these days are to create controversy at all costs.

Burwood

Bench
I was even expecting Ponga’s first try to be called back- thought he caught the ball on the inside of Mann and ran behind him into the gap.