What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 13 vs The Green Machine

Sure.

Aekins is a decent option. We have started moving him out of set pieces like Naden's try last night. Its not his strength, but its not Edwards strength either.

Tbh we should do something similar when Edwards returns. When you have a quality player like Tyrone May then you don't need a silky handed fullback. In the red zone May fills in well.

Support play is a strength of Edwards, he’s probably the best at it in the team.

WestyLife

First Grade
Sure.

Aekins is a decent option. We have started moving him out of set pieces like Naden's try last night. Its not his strength, but its not Edwards strength either.

Tbh we should do something similar when Edwards returns. When you have a quality player like Tyrone May then you don't need a silky handed fullback. In the red zone May fills in well.

Problem is May won't be on the field all the time. He'll be back to 14 soon.

The Teach

Juniors
Just on Caleb, 2 things his non-admirers seem to be missing:
1. The 40/20 last night, there was absolutely no communication from the front line letting him know the kick was taken inside the 40, hence his lack of urgency to get to the ball.
2. The fullback is usually responsible for setting the defensive line from behind. I may be wrong but the number of line breaks certainly hasn't gotten out of control when he's been there, so his reading of the play and communication must be ok.
I know I'll probably get hammered by some on here for this post, agree that dyl is a better fullback, but in my opinion Caleb has been solid in a team which is winning.

soc123_au

Staff member
1. The 40/20 last night, there was absolutely no communication from the front line letting him know the kick was taken inside the 40, hence his lack of urgency to get to the ball.
2. The fullback is usually responsible for setting the defensive line from behind. I may be wrong but the number of line breaks certainly hasn't gotten out of control when he's been there, so his reading of the play and communication must be ok.
I know I'll probably get hammered by some on here for this post, agree that dyl is a better fullback, but in my opinion Caleb has been solid in a team which is winning.

I made a similar comment a few days ago re the organisation of defence. We havent missed a beat on that front so I can only assume this is why he is in the side. I just wish he had even a hint of attacking prowess.

The 40/20 was a freak kick. I dont think even the Raiders realised it was on. Including Jack.

He has been okay, it definitely hasn’t been a disaster or anything. I just think a modern fullback needs to be a fair bit more than just a safe option.

Pomoz

Bench
Support play is a strength of Edwards, he’s probably the best at it in the team.
He is not a great ball player though. When May is on he is chiming in the back line and playing like a third half. This gives Edwards space to create overlaps and I think combining May and Edwards in attack will make it very hard for defences to know who to mark. Edwards creating an overlap or May, putting a player through a hole or on the outside of their man. May is really adding an X factor too our attack in the same way Girdler did for the 03 team. Six games 4 assists. Edwards 5 games 4 assists. Last year we really struggled to create anything, this year everybody is helping out.

BxTom

Bench
I think that the 3-4 people constantly complaining about Aekins play too much fantasy football and have lost the ability to differentiate between the real world and their fantasy world. Not every player is perfect. Aekins is a backup fullback, and when the limitations placed on teams (other than the rorters) by the salary cap are taken into account, he does a good job.

WestyLife

First Grade

I don't hate him or anything.

martielang

Bench
Plodders everywhere admire the way you go into bat for them.

8 games this season for
0 linebreaks
0 tries
1 try assist

He’s not being picked for his attacking prowess, hence why May plays a quasi fullback role inside the opposition 30, which he’s done the last few weeks & I assume is the reason why he gets picked in the backline ahead of MWZ. & probably the reason Laurie was on the bench too & Burton / Crichton before him.

He’s there because he’s safe at the back whether that be under the high ball, positioning or positioning the front line.

The best thing about your posts are when you blame him for something then the real reason comes secondary eg. It was his fault we lost the Eels game... & Crichton missing 2 tackles that led directly to try’s or The CNK try was his fault... & the 3 defenders that let him walk 5m to the try line.

The_Frog

First Grade
The Raiders fullback had a pretty good attacking game and scored two tries, but his errors were largely responsible for his team being behind 12-0 early, a position from which they could not recover. We should be thankful we have a back up fullback who doesn't put us in this position.

He is not a great ball player though. When May is on he is chiming in the back line and playing like a third half. This gives Edwards space to create overlaps and I think combining May and Edwards in attack will make it very hard for defences to know who to mark. Edwards creating an overlap or May, putting a player through a hole or on the outside of their man. May is really adding an X factor too our attack in the same way Girdler did for the 03 team. Six games 4 assists. Edwards 5 games 4 assists. Last year we really struggled to create anything, this year everybody is helping out.

His ball play has actually improved a lot this season, not saying he’s at May’s level though.

I think the talk about fullback is reflective of how important the position has become in the modern game. Aekins is kind of an old school custodian, safe under the high ball. Really the position has changed quite a bit in the last 20 years. He’s fine as a backup, though. But I’d be surprised if he’s here next year.

tripster

Juniors
I confess I don't really get all of the criticism or desire to swap Aekins for someone else. We have lost only one game in which he has played FB for us (the game against the Eels), and if a single player was to be blamed for that loss it is Chricton for his two missed tackles on Blake.

I don't think anyone is arguing that he is our first choice FB (because he isn't). The argument seems to be that we should select someone as FB who is less proven in first grade in that position because they will definitely be better? Surely that proposition seems questionable without further analysis. Even if it wasn't, surely the next question is why would we do that now? To what end? Because that would that mean that we would better our current results (how can we do better than win)? It all seems a bit ridiculous to me.

Perhaps on the other hand I am reading too much into it, and the criticism is because we are sitting outright top of the ladder, have equaled our longest ever winning stretch, and people just need something to complain about?

WestyLife

First Grade
I think the talk about fullback is reflective of how important the position has become in the modern game. Aekins is kind of an old school custodian, safe under the high ball. Really the position has changed quite a bit in the last 20 years. He’s fine as a backup, though. But I’d be surprised if he’s here next year.

It's this. The game is so fast now that the 7 controls the middle of the field with the fullback and 6 in their channels on either side so the fullback is another 5/8 now who also has the defensive responsibility.