What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 13 vs The Green Machine

WestyLife

First Grade
I confess I don't really get all of the criticism or desire to swap Aekins for someone else. We have lost only one game in which he has played FB for us (the game against the Eels), and if a single player was to be blamed for that loss it is Chricton for his two missed tackles on Blake.

I don't think anyone is arguing that he is our first choice FB (because he isn't). The argument seems to be that we should select someone as FB who is less proven in first grade in that position because they will definitely be better? Surely that proposition seems questionable without further analysis. Even if it wasn't, surely the next question is why would we do that now? To what end? Because that would that mean that we would better our current results (how can we do better than win)? It all seems a bit ridiculous to me.

Perhaps on the other hand I am reading too much into it, and the criticism is because we are sitting outright top of the ladder, have equaled our longest ever winning stretch, and people just need something to complain about?

What Franklin has said is more to the point. We've had the option to test our depth while our first choice is out and haven't. Aekins is a fine back up but you don't want him playing finals if it comes to that or what if both he and Edwards are injured.

Franklin - "Jersey Flegg Player of the year for the last 2 year. Both fullbacks both in this year squad"

Might as well see if they can do the job or not.

franklin2323

Immortal
I think the talk about fullback is reflective of how important the position has become in the modern game. Aekins is kind of an old school custodian, safe under the high ball. Really the position has changed quite a bit in the last 20 years. He’s fine as a backup, though. But I’d be surprised if he’s here next year.

look at Edwards' try v Sharks and WT. I don't think Aekins scores those and they were just backing up tries

franklin2323

Immortal
Aekins should try and mould himself into a Mansour style winger

I don't see him getting re-signed by us or anyone for that matter. I am surprised he hasn't played more wing.

He went to centre when we tried to fit Burton and Laurie in the same NSW Cup team but wing might work

I don't see him getting re-signed by us or anyone for that matter. I am surprised he hasn't played more wing.

He went to centre when we tried to fit Burton and Laurie in the same NSW Cup team but wing might work

I think he’ll get a gig somewhere as a backup, it’s just that we have Staines & Laurie.

BxTom

Bench
I think he’ll get a gig somewhere as a backup, it’s just that we have Staines & Laurie.

Who have played how many NRL games at fullback?

They might be superstars in the near future, but it's risky putting in inexperienced players in vital positions straight away and saying that they are like for like replacements is just wrong at this stage. I was not a fan of Ivan and I will willingly step up and eat humble pie and I trust his (and other coaching staff's) wisdom a lot more than yours.

mxlegend99

Referee
The Raiders fullback had a pretty good attacking game and scored two tries, but his errors were largely responsible for his team being behind 12-0 early, a position from which they could not recover. We should be thankful we have a back up fullback who doesn't put us in this position.
You mean like the error Aekins made which led to thr opposition fullback scoring? And being part of the group of players that couldn't hold him up?

CNK had his finger broken two weeks ago. Those errors were uncharacteristic of him yet even recovering from injury he still got his team back into the game. With assistance from Aekins and Sutton.

That said I think CNK is at best an Edwards level fullback. Not much between them really. Neither in the elite tier. Both very good for their teams though. But you would fob either off if you could get Teddy or Turbo.

The_Frog

First Grade
That said I think CNK is at best an Edwards level fullback. Not much between them really. Neither in the elite tier. Both very good for their teams though. But you would fob either off if you could get Teddy or Turbo.
Teddy would be good in our side and obviously is good in the Roosters, where there are threats all over the park. But he'd be useless in the Bulldogs, whereas Turbo would lift any team.

The_Frog

First Grade

I'm not up on other clubs' backup fullback situations, but I'd be very surprised if he couldn't get a gig at any of the 16 clubs on close to minimum wage.

mxlegend99

Referee
Teddy would be good in our side and obviously is good in the Roosters, where there are threats all over the park. But he'd be useless in the Bulldogs, whereas Turbo would lift any team.
Turbo only issue is his body durability which is also Edwards biggest issue at the moment. Teddy would improve any side but probably not to the level of Turbo who can carry a team on his back.

If Edwards never got injured he never has his one bad patch of form last year and is probably regarded much higher by everyone once hitting this form.

tripster

Juniors
What Franklin has said is more to the point. We've had the option to test our depth while our first choice is out and haven't. Aekins is a fine back up but you don't want him playing finals if it comes to that or what if both he and Edwards are injured.

Franklin - "Jersey Flegg Player of the year for the last 2 year. Both fullbacks both in this year squad"

Might as well see if they can do the job or not.

Yes, but you don't test your depth by playing someone in a position for a single game. A player needs multiple games in a position to know how whether or not they will perform well in it. The time to test our depth also isn't when we are shooting for top 4 and it isn't guaranteed.

I think now, given that top 4 is looking almost certain, we might see Ivan rest some players, but with Edwards coming back next game, and there being no reserve grade (so the risk of Aekins getting injured after Edwards returns is low), a world in which both Edwards and Aekins are unavailable for selection is improbable. Furthermore, even if we played someone like Burton or Laurie at FB for two games between now and the end of the season, would that give us any comfort that that they would perform better than Aekins in a finals match? It wouldn't give me any comfort.

Who have played how many NRL games at fullback?

They might be superstars in the near future, but it's risky putting in inexperienced players in vital positions straight away and saying that they are like for like replacements is just wrong at this stage. I was not a fan of Ivan and I will willingly step up and eat humble pie and I trust his (and other coaching staff's) wisdom a lot more than yours.

That’s why I was talking about next year. I specifically referenced not re-signing him because we have better back ups for 2021.

Pays to read things slowly so you don’t look silly.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
Hmm, I very doubtful every club as guys as talented as Staines & Laurie.

We are seeing Fidow at Cowboys. He was carving juniors up. There is a guy for the Dragons looks just as promising..

All have a promising FB that they will go too before getting someone like Aekins

franklin2323

Immortal
I think Franklin means all clubs have juniors that look like superstars playing against other kids but that doesn’t necessarily translate to making it in the NRL.

Not so much won't make it but unproven yet. There is a 3rd Trbojevic at Manly for example... as a club it makes more sense to use him then go for someone like Aekins that is a backup at best

Alintheeast

Juniors
I doubt that “My heart is” is thinking 40/20 more likely smiling about helping stop Papalli from scoring. Can we discuss the time when James Tamou dropped the ball a meter out from the try line.

I think Franklin means all clubs have juniors that look like superstars playing against other kids but that doesn’t necessarily translate to making it in the NRL.

Maybe, but the difference is we have a better track record of producing NRL ready talent. Other clubs aren’t stupid, they’ll know if their players are ready or not.

We are seeing Fidow at Cowboys. He was carving juniors up. There is a guy for the Dragons looks just as promising..

All have a promising FB that they will go too before getting someone like Aekins

I’m sure there’s plenty of talent out there, but not every club has a ready back up. Other clubs will see Aekins as someone who’s ready to step in if their main fullback gets injured. I’m certain he’ll get a minimum deal somewhere.