What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons fun fact..

Old Timer

Coach
Interesting..

Edit / addendum..

And as such, by this rationale the year 1990 is part of the 80’s... ?

You’re wrong because of one simple premise; there wasn’t a year zero. As such, all decades have the anomaly of ending with a 0. Ergo, the 10s actually end at the end of 2020.

From a google search

What is the year 1 AD?
AD 1 (I), 1 AD or 1 CE is the epoch year for the Anno Domini calendar era. It was the first year of the Common Era (CE), of the 1st millennium and of the 1st century. ... It was the beginning of the Christian/Common era. The preceding year is 1 BC; there is no year 0 in this numbering scheme.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Oh god, this stupid debate again.

A decade is any 10 year period of time.

- In 2023 we’ll have seen out a decade of McGregor.
- We’ve just started the 20’s. We call it that because it’s the first year of a decade that starts with 20. We’ll finish it in ‘29.
- This year is the final year of the 220th decade of the current calendar
- Your high school reunion is generally on a decade anniversary of when you finished school.

Oh god, this stupid debate again.

A decade is any 10 year period of time.

- In 2023 we’ll have seen out a decade of McGregor.
- We’ve just started the 20’s. We call it that because it’s the first year of a decade that starts with 20. We’ll finish it in ‘29.
- This year is the final year of the 220th decade of the current calendar
- Your high school reunion is generally on a decade anniversary of when you finished school.

I do love an old chest-nut... and that you’re now diving into it makes me very happy...

Imagine overhearing this conversation in the pub..

“So Dave, what was your favourite year of the 1990’s??”

“Er... 1994 was a good one, 1991 was ok too.... hard to say...”

“Surely it’s 1990 Dave???

Remember??

You got a 3-inch penis extension, married a supermodel, had triplet boys who all went on to play for Australia, won the biggest ever powerball Jackpot, saved millions of people from starvation in Africa with your winnings and won Time magazine’s Man of the year for 1990!!!!”

“Yeah Bob I suppose that’s a pretty good year... but that was in the 1980’s....”

“Huh!?!?!?!?”...

“Yeah Bob... so to answer your question, my favourite year of the 1990’s was 2000”

“Huh!?!?!?!?!?”

“Yeah Bob... it was when I scored a role as an extra in the movie Battlefield Earth. Top movie that...”

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I do love an old chest-nut... and that you’re now diving into it makes me very happy...

Imagine overhearing this conversation in the pub..

“So Dave, what was your favourite year of the 1990’s??”

“Er... 1994 was a good one, 1991 was ok too.... hard to say...”

“Surely it’s 1990 Dave???

Remember??

You got a 3-inch penis extension, married a supermodel, had triplet boys who all went on to play for Australia, won the biggest ever powerball Jackpot, saved millions of people from starvation in Africa with your winnings and won Time magazine’s Man of the year for 1990!!!!”

“Yeah Bob I suppose that’s a pretty good year... but that was in the 1980’s....”

“Huh!?!?!?!?”...

“Yeah Bob... so to answer your question, my favourite year of the 1990’s was 2000”

“Huh!?!?!?!?!?”

“Yeah Bob... it was when I scored a role as an extra in the movie Battlefield Earth. Top movie that...”

Here’s a curly one: when did the new millennium start? Option a) midnight January 1, 2000 or option b) midnight January 1, 2001?

No peeking at any sources please.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Millenniums start with 1 end with 0 as there is no tear 0 in our calendar.

As reiterated by myself many times.

Some understand the difference between an era (ie. 1930s) versus a 10 year time period.

Others don’t.

To amend the OP, since the St. George inception of the JV in 1921, the Dragons have appeared in at least one grand final per decade era. Should the club miss out this year, this record will be broken by incompetence on a managerial level.

Old Timer

Coach
Back to fun Dragons facts
The dragons have 4 twins at the club and the 3 sets involved all have a Matt in them.
4 twins and the 3 sets ??????
Does 4 twins not mean 2 sets and correspondingly 3 sets means 6 twins or did you mean to say 4 sets of twins meaning 8 twins of which 3 sets have a Matt in them?

Old Timer

Coach
So seeing there is no year 0 and all things start with the year 1 AD and I was born on the 01 / 01 / 0001 what would be the full date when I turn 1?

Having worked out that date what is the actual date at the end of the 1st decade of my life?

If I live to 100 years of age what is the date of my 100th birthday?

So if my birth corresponds with the 1st day of the new calendar is not all measurements of decades etc based on that initial calculation?

possm

Coach
I love a chestnut... but prefer almonds..

The 20’s started in 1920.
The 30’s started in 1930..

And so on.

But... I think that we are 2-3years away from another possible GF appearance. We need a big noise in the halves, a 3rd “gun” prop and a lock akin to JDB.
For the past five years we have been saying that we are 2 or 3 years away from a grand final appearance. The only problem is that we have fallen for the 'tomorrow never comes' syndrome.

Here’s a curly one: when did the new millennium start? Option a) midnight January 1, 2000 or option b) midnight January 1, 2001?

No peeking at any sources please.

No peeking at all mate.

it'll likely "b" option "b"..

But whatever the result... it's reminded me of a positive fun fact...

Did you know....

St George / The Dragons JV have made a grand final in every millennia since rugby league came into existence.

Eat that Cowboys fans. And the Warriors too. Have a slice Titans..

And the Bears, Jets, Mariners, Reds, Rams, Seagulls, Chargers, Giants.

For the past five years we have been saying that we are 2 or 3 years away from a grand final appearance. The only problem is that we have fallen for the 'tomorrow never comes' syndrome.

So in effect it's an accurate statement. It pushes out to 2,3 years. every year. Tomorrow indeed never comes.

But all jokes aside I hate it as much as the next fan possm.

4 twins and the 3 sets ??????
Does 4 twins not mean 2 sets and correspondingly 3 sets means 6 twins or did you mean to say 4 sets of twins meaning 8 twins of which 3 sets have a Matt in them?

Maybe because there was no year zero.... a factor of 1 (or is it 3?, or 6?) has been added to offset to the anomaly, and to to stop the universe collapsing on itself.

What other Dragons fun facts do others know about out there and care to share?

Ideally that don't rely on when the baby Jesus was born..