What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beer Thread

Brookvale Union for me. Matsos is great but very raw tasting, so it's hard to have many.
Brookvale Union Ginger Beer. Sorry Baz, but like the JS one earlier it’s a bit generic for me. I like that big spice hit Matso’s has. BU, if I had a wedge of lime, would make a solid Moscow Mule in my mind.

Bazal

Post Whore
Brookvale Union Ginger Beer. Sorry Baz, but like the JS one earlier it’s a bit generic for me. I like that big spice hit Matso’s has. BU, if I had a wedge of lime, would make a solid Moscow Mule in my mind.

See I like Matso's but I feel like it's basically raw ginger juiced into seltzer. Good for one or two.

Brookvale is the closest to the good "soft drink" ginger beers for mine. But I wouldn't say I drink any of them often.

Tbh I'd rather spike a Bundaberg ginger beer than have a full session on any of the alcoholic models

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
The brewery at Newcastle wharf (is that still there btw?) used to do an awesome ginger beer..

Then blue tongue took it over, but now blue tongue is gone..

horrie hastings

First Grade
James Squire “Broken Shackles” Lager. Nice, easy drinking Lager. Good to have something different to the plethora of Pale Ale, XPA, IPA, NEIPA, etc hitting the market. Probably released a bit late though, would have been a good drink for summer.

Lol, just drinking my free 6 pack now which i picked up in May , i only remembered i had it in the back of the cupboard when our shop got allocated 15 cases a couple of weeks ago , just drinking it around the BBQ while im away up the coast now, very easy drinking lager and chucked some on the onions while cooking, yummmm.

Lol, just drinking my free 6 pack now which i picked up in May , i only remembered i had it in the back of the cupboard when our shop got allocated 15 cases a couple of weeks ago , just drinking it around the BBQ while im away up the coast now, very easy drinking lager and chucked some on the onions while cooking, yummmm.

A true sign that its a beer with zero memorable features. Much like the red wine you put in pasta sauce

horrie hastings

First Grade
A true sign that its a beer with zero memorable features. Much like the red wine you put in pasta sauce

I am just not a big beer drinker any more, thats why i almost forgot it was there. Seeing it was the only beer i took away with me was the reason i chucked some on the onions, i always do the onions in beer on the BBQ and that was the only one i had on hand at the time , usually i have a Praga or a Furphy in the fridge for that purpose besides drinking. You are right though, the James Squire Broken Shackles lager is a solid easy drinking beer but nothing really memorable about it.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Scored tickets to a craft beer festival on the 28th, at least 6 breweries in the lineup ive never heard of so this is going to be a good day. Mind yiu after ive finished with piratelife, gage roads, black hops and burleigh brewing it might be a challenge to remember

Banner Cross. Yorkshire Pale Ale

Mates of mine started it up a year ago in Bondi, and it’s now on tap in a number of pubs and bars around Sydney. Also in some bottlo’s.

A shameless plug no doubt, but for a craft beer I reckon it’s very much a decent drop.

Warning. I bought a couple of cartons when I drove back to SA and in Isolation. Maybe was the lack of true exercise in quarantine , or maybe it was levelling my stash that caused me to put on 3kgs... or maybe both.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Sapporo Black. Ran out of Guinness, too many pretend Irish merkins drinking the local bottlo out of the dark stuff and they don’t carry Tooheys Old. For a black beer, I like it. Like an Old it’s a pretty simple dark beer, but it’s a good drink.

Kirra pub Bottle O ?

I know the pub is shut now and being demolished but I just assumed the bottle shop would be part of the demolition.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Sapporo Black. Ran out of Guinness, too many pretend Irish merkins drinking the local bottlo out of the dark stuff and they don’t carry Tooheys Old. For a black beer, I like it. Like an Old it’s a pretty simple dark beer, but it’s a good drink.

For some reason we still haven't got the correct stickers to put on the Guinness to sell, its just sitting out in the store room.

Bazal

Post Whore
Meant to be off beer for a bit, but saw White Rabbit Chocolate stout at Uncie Dans and couldn't resist. Will report back once cold.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Fortitude valley pale ale

Not bad but ffs making a "craft beer" doesnt mean "as much hops as we can possibly cram into it and no creativity anywhere else". Many of them have gone down this road

Bazal

Post Whore
So that White Rabbit Choccy stout is real good. For mine anyway.

I often find chocolate stout can be far too sweet but they haven't gone that way here at all. If anything it could stand to be sliiiiiiightly richer? But it's good. Nice cocoa flavour

Bazal

Post Whore
Bruny Island Whey Stout.

Handmade, open fermented, not filter or pasteurised & bottle conditioned. A "milk" stout but the lactose comes from whey, which IMO makes it much lighter and more subtle. It's still creamy and milky but not heavy, like the acidity of the whey also carries through??

Not cheap at $14 for a 500ml bottle but very nice.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Bruny Island Whey Stout.

Handmade, open fermented, not filter or pasteurised & bottle conditioned. A "milk" stout but the lactose comes from whey, which IMO makes it much lighter and more subtle. It's still creamy and milky but not heavy, like the acidity of the whey also carries through??

Not cheap at $14 for a 500ml bottle but very nice.
One of my locals carries their pale ale.. it’s a great drop..

I’ll have to keep my eye out for the stout as the weather gets colder

Latest posts