What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ivan Cleary hit with $20k breach notice

The_Frog

First Grade
If the NRL don't want coaches to speak their mind they shouldn't require them to attend interviews 10 minutes after full time. The should conduct these interviews on Monday. Otherwise you'll have 16 Wayne Bennetts.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Or, you know, they could just not directly accuse the referee of cheating.

It's not difficult, most coaches get through their pressers without doing it.

(Especially when they just won by 16 points and have been first for several weeks)

The_Frog

First Grade
(Especially when they just won by 16 points and have been first for several weeks)
When the coach of a winning team leading the comp suggests there is an issue with teams that are behind being managed back into the game, the NRL probably should listen. I reckon it's happened a dozen times this year. They're looking to improve their product but it won't work.

Timmah

Staff member
When the coach of a winning team leading the comp suggests there is an issue with teams that are behind being managed back into the game, the NRL probably should listen. I reckon it's happened a dozen times this year. They're looking to improve their product but it won't work.
If you can't process and understand that what he said (specifically the words he used) are directly questioning the integrity of the officials - something coaches are not able to do (and never have) - then I can't help you.

Coaches have channels to use to air these grievances, publicly in a post-match presser isn't the method. Pay, Hasler, Furner et al learned the hard way - now Cleary is too.

Sphagnum

Coach
It’s been happening for years. They don’t really manage them in, they just seem to sway in their favour with the 50/50s. It’s just about keeping the losing team in the contest for as long as possible.
It probably happens subconsciously more than deliberately imo

T-Boon

Coach
If the NRL don't want coaches to speak their mind they shouldn't require them to attend interviews 10 minutes after full time. The should conduct these interviews on Monday. Otherwise you'll have 16 Wayne Bennetts.

If the coaches want to get paid as well as they do they should beg for the privilege's to do as much press as possible whenever it suits the people who pay (TV) and when they do it they should do a good job of selling the game rather than the gruff, kick stones performance they put on. The coaches don't ad anything to the game.
They might as well not even turn up on game day sitting in their stupid boxes like they are royalty while the players and referees try to put on an entertaining show for the fans even though the coaches have coached entertainment out of the game.
Throw the book at Cleary.

The_Frog

First Grade
If you can't process and understand that what he said (specifically the words he used) are directly questioning the integrity of the officials - something coaches are not able to do (and never have) - then I can't help you.
I heard what he said. You've got to expect this when you require a coach to front the media 10 minutes after the game ends. This coach is usually pretty reserved but for him to say this he must have been pissed off with what were some rather odd calls.

Timmah

Staff member
I heard what he said. You've got to expect this when you require a coach to front the media 10 minutes after the game ends. This coach is usually pretty reserved but for him to say this he must have been pissed off with what were some rather odd calls.
And yet 99% of the time, coaches - Cleary included - usually don't say this stuff.

So when he does, he should expect a fine. There's literally no defence for this. You can argue over whether what he said was right all you like - the fact he said it in a public presser is why he's been fined.

mongoose

Coach

Penalties
Panthers 7
Raiders 6

Set Restarts
Panthers 4
Raiders 3

Odd that Ivan would complain about the refs in this game when Penrith are usually on the wrong end of those stats. He should probably worry about why his team got beaten in the second half rather than blaming the officiating.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
If he had said something like "Well there were a few questionable decisions, I will contact the NRL to ask them about it", then everyone would be fine with it.

Unfortunately when you question the integrity of the referee's performances, you're going to be hit with a fine.

The_Frog

First Grade
And yet 99% of the time, coaches - Cleary included - usually don't say this stuff.

So when he does, he should expect a fine. There's literally no defence for this. You can argue over whether what he said was right all you like - the fact he said it in a public presser is why he's been fined.
I knew he'd get fined and I suppose if you're not allowed to talk about certain things you get a fine if you do. So I'm not arguing against the fine at all. What I am arguing against is the WWE type choreographing of football games. We all see it happening, you just aren't allowed to talk about it. Just like WWE.

snickers007

Juniors
Will be interesting to see if Annesley mentions any of the contentious decisions in his wrap up this week.

I suspect he'll tow the company line, and either ignore any wrong decisions, or will only mention decisions that wrongly went the Panthers way.

Don't want to go against the Supreme Leader.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Regardless of whether things went the wrong way for the Panthers or not, for a coach to imply that a referee managed a game to favour an opponent is stupidity.

Worthy of at least a $20k fine.