What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rank the Brisbane bids

greenBV4

Bench
The only reason they never went bust is because News Ltd bailed them out year after year and had the ARLC do it from 2012-2018. No club that has that kind of support will go bust.

If you believe the official spin about Cronk leaving for his GF's career then you're beyond reasoning with.

How do you think Melbourne kept C Smith, C Cronk and B Slater in 2011 after the salary cap rort was exposed?

Surely you don't think they all agreed to play for a McHappy Meal voucher just to be at the same club?
3 players who were mostly overlooked by other clubs and would be nothing close to what they are if they weren't picked up by Melbourne at a young age I might add

And after loosing the likes of Inglis and others?

I guess the same way the Roosters keep their team together? Or the Broncos over the years have had majority of the Maroons team neither of them have ever had to play for no points, have premierships stripped, and cop an Australian record fine.

Its since been admitted that the penalty was possibly a bit too steep, especially when compared to following breaches

But yeah, the NRL favours the Storm

And as I said before, if Melbourne brings no value then why did they invest so much? Return on investment
The biggest thing Rugby League lost in the SL war was its balls.

3 players who were mostly overlooked by other clubs and would be nothing close to what they are if they weren't picked up by Melbourne at a young age I might add

And after loosing the likes of Inglis and others?

I guess the same way the Roosters keep their team together? Or the Broncos over the years have had majority of the Maroons team neither of them have ever had to play for no points, have premierships stripped, and cop an Australian record fine.

Its since been admitted that the penalty was possibly a bit too steep, especially when compared to following breaches

But yeah, the NRL favours the Storm

And as I said before, if Melbourne brings no value then why did they invest so much? Return on investment
The biggest thing Rugby League lost in the SL war was its balls.
Broncos did a lot of shady shit in the 90s and 00s.

Who knows with the Roosters. They did get Coopet Cronk and $onny Bi11.

The NRL had no choice but to pretend they were putting an end to their favouritism towards the Storm in 2010. The club was owned and funded by the co.pany that had a 50% stake in the ARL. It was a PR disaster for News Ltd and the ARL.

A year later the News of The World scandal revealed just how low News Ltd was willing to sink just to sell newspapers. They did what they did with the Storm to sell Foxtel subscriptions.

mongoose

Coach
The only way it will work is if the rules are bent by the ARLC to give them an advantage.

Melbourne Storm aren't where they are by playing fairly. They broke every rule in the book and were aided and abetted along the way by News Ltd. We know at least $101,500,000 was funnelled into them by News Ltd and the ARLC between 1998 and 2018, on top of what they were already getting to run day to day operations. Anyone who thinks none of that money lined the pockets of the players on their roster, coaching department and recruitment officers is naive or stupid.

It should be noted that Cooper Cronk left the club after the extra funding dried up and Billy Slater retired. Cam Smith re-signed, but under the stipulation that he play a testimonial match at Lang Park to scam money out of the public and run two corporate lunches to scam even more moolah out of people. Oh, and miraculously the club was now solvent! God knows what scam they are running now.

How do you assemble a roster that contains C Smith, B Slater, C Cronk and C Munster and, manage to poach J Hughes and B Smith from the Cowboys?

At one stage they also had S Drinkwater and R Papenhauyzen at the same time.

How do they line up C Smith, B Smith and Harry Grant at the same time when all are dummy halves?

Every club has talent scouts. It's not as if the scouts working for Melbourne are the only ones that can identify a good junior. Something else is drawing these kids to Melbourne, away from their family and friends. The only thing strong enough to do that is money.

Perth will need $200 million. Only Twiggy has that money to play with.

I don't subscribe to the view that good juniors are ready made first graders. Didn't the Broncos pass on Cam Smith?
Drinkwater, Brandon Smith, Hughes? seriously lol were they even highly rated before they entered the Storm system? Tigers probably could have kept Papenhauzen if they wanted to.

greenBV4

Bench
I don't subscribe to the view that good juniors are ready made first graders. Didn't the Broncos pass on Cam Smith?
Drinkwater, Brandon Smith, Hughes? seriously lol were they even highly rated before they entered the Storm system? Tigers probably could have kept Papenhauzen if they wanted to.
they were all nobodies, thats the beauty of the storm system, they turn unwanted rocks into gems, but then other clubs supporters say they were poached

sure it would be great if we managed to get some talent out of victoria (and hopefully one day we do) but it's not like the storm are going out buying/poaching developed talent, they are scouting out young talent falling through the cracks throughtout nsw, qld, nz and the pacific and moulding them into stars

Who was the last well known player the storm "bought"?

greenBV4

Bench
Anyway its gone way off topic

is there any new news out of any of the Brisbane Bids?

The NRL and Vlandy's need to come out as say once and for all if expansion is going to happen and roughly when, and make an offical call for bids if that is the intention. I think once that happens we will end up seeing more bids pop up then just the Firehawks, Dolphins, Jets and Bombers

Brandon Smith and Jerome Smith were signed with the Cowboys. Hughes even played a game.

they were all nobodies, thats the beauty of the storm system, they turn unwanted rocks into gems, but then other clubs supporters say they were poached

sure it would be great if we managed to get some talent out of victoria (and hopefully one day we do) but it's not like the storm are going out buying/poaching developed talent, they are scouting out young talent falling through the cracks throughtout nsw, qld, nz and the pacific and moulding them into stars

Who was the last well known player the storm "bought"?
This is BS. The potential of B Slater, C Smith, C Cronk and G Inglis was there for all to see when they were running around for Northern Suburbs Devils in the Queensland Cup.

flippikat

Bench

The NRL and Vlandy's need to come out as say once and for all if expansion is going to happen and roughly when, and make an offical call for bids if that is the intention. I think once that happens we will end up seeing more bids pop up then just the Firehawks, Dolphins, Jets and Bombers

Going way off topic? In the expansion forum? Yep.. sounds about normal here hehehe.

But seriously, you're right.. there needs to be an update on where we're at with the "Brisbane 2" project - hopefully soon. With all the complexities of the 2nd wave of Covid, I wouldn't be surprised if it's delayed a season or two.. we don't even have any clarity on next season, let alone 2, 3 years from now.

Perth Red

Post Whore

hw can they possibly decide on expansion when they have no idea what their revenue is going to look like in years ahead? We still haven’t got the details to know if the the fox deal is better or worse than last time. We d8 t have a fta deal beyond the largely reduced one of the next two years and who knows how long crowds are going to be impacted. I’d say there is no way they are going to announce consolidation of Brisbane (it’s not expansion to put another team in a heartland city) anytime in next 12-24 months.

greenBV4

Bench
hw can they possibly decide on expansion when they have no idea what their revenue is going to look like in years ahead? We still haven’t got the details to know if the the fox deal is better or worse than last time. We d8 t have a fta deal beyond the largely reduced one of the next two years and who knows how long crowds are going to be impacted. I’d say there is no way they are going to announce consolidation of Brisbane (it’s not expansion to put another team in a heartland city) anytime in next 12-24 months.
and they should come out and publically say that, with a date/year that they will reasses. Instead of keeping the current public bids on their toes and the ones on the wings unsure whether to come forward or not.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Where does rugby league sit in the hierarchy of Western Australian sport?

I'd imagine the main games in town would be fumbleball and cricket. Every business in town that wants to support the community through sport and get maximum bang for buck when flogging their product would chase after these sports.

Soccer and basketball fill a void and have a strong participation rate. Less money would be thrown at them and they wouldn't be seen by as many people, but they are there and known about.

Netball is the number one game amongst girls. Great opportunity for companies focussed towards women.

Rugby union has the establishment.

What does RL have in Perth?

I cannot see an NRL club attracting the financial support that it will need to run its football department. It sure won't get the money through memberships and gate receipts. An NBL, A-League or Super Rugby club doesn't need $30-$40 million a year just to compete. An NRL club from Perth that scrambles to put together $20 million to field an uncompetitive side will have no chance of succeeding.

RL probably sits pretty low on the sports ranking in Perth, that's not going to change without an NRL team though.

On financing, there are only two clubs currently that turn a profit in the NRL, so I don't see why your're applying that criteria just to Perth. There is clearly something to work with there and if we want the game to grow outside of Brisbane and Sydney (no matter how long that takes) you have to invest in new markets. The benefits are many from new TV slots ($$$), national sponsorships, new fans attending games, new fans watching games, opening up a new player market (no matter how long it takes).

The game is better off with Perth, the fourth largest market in Australia, than without it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
RL probably sits pretty low on the sports ranking in Perth, that's not going to change without an NRL team though.

On financing, there are only two clubs currently that turn a profit in the NRL, so I don't see why your're applying that criteria just to Perth. There is clearly something to work with there and if we want the game to grow outside of Brisbane and Sydney (no matter how long that takes) you have to invest in new markets. The benefits are many from new TV slots ($$$), national sponsorships, new fans attending games, new fans watching games, opening up a new player market (no matter how long it takes).

The game is better off with Perth, the fourth largest market in Australia, than without it.

Going on attendances and amateur growth in last ten years Id say there is plenty of support here and has real potential to be Perth's number two professional sport. Id rank them at moment AFL>>>>>>>Basketball>>Soccer>Union>Netball

I'm not totally against Adelaide and Perth. Just cautious because of what happened in the 1990s. My fear is if the NRL were to expand to Adelaide and Perth and it failed then it would cause serious harm to the game. It would be a PR nightmare and probably turn the few people who follow the game over there towards RU. Advertisers would use it against RL.

I also think the NRL needs to undo the damage caused by Quayle and Arthurson before it worries about Adelaide and Perth. RL was far stronger in Brisbane pre-1988, with strong tribalism present across the City of Brisbane and extending into what is now Redlands, Logan and Ipswich. When a club made the GF the entire region of that team would break out in their colours. That doesn't really happen when the Broncos make the GF. Wests and Brothers no longer field senior teams, Valleys are stuck in the BRL and the Scorpions were forced into extinction by the Logan City Council and apathetic QRL. Souths are on life support. It's not good for the future production of quality players to lose clubs at this level.

There's a podcast about the BRL called 'When They Were Kings' on YouTube and Facebook. It talks about how much weaker RL is in Brisbane these days now that the tribalism has gone.

I can attest to this. When I go to a Wynnum Manly game at Kougari Oval there is always an amazing buzz around the ground. It provides an atmosphere that is seriously lacking at Broncos games that are played at Lang Park. I've attended a couple of standing room only matches at Kougari Oval. It provided a far more enjoyable game day experience than any NRL game I've ever attended. It must have been 1000 times better pre-1988. Brisbane needs 3 clubs and they must all be from the BRL. Time for the Donkeys to go so RL can get back to the heights it was at in Brisbane pre-1988. Titans should become the Diehards.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I'm not totally against Adelaide and Perth. Just cautious because of what happened in the 1990s. My fear is if the NRL were to expand to Adelaide and Perth and it failed then it would cause serious harm to the game. It would be a PR nightmare and probably turn the few people who follow the game over there towards RU. Advertisers would use it against RL.
The situation in the 90s is so vastly different from now that they're totally incomparable, and judging Perth or Adelaide based on what happened then is just a dumb thing to do.

Besides the exact same argument could be used about Brisbane and the Crushers, and I think you'd agree wholeheartedly that it's f**king stupid to judge expansion in Brisbane based on the Crushers failure.

Also if expansion were to fail anywhere it'd be damaging to the sport, yet to survive and thrive you need to grow. No risk no reward is just the nature of the beast.