What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

getsmarty

Immortal
‘Parramatta game will be his last’: Buzz reveals axe hovering over McGregor with board set to meet
NRL Premiership
darcie_mcdonald.jpg

• August 10, 2020 7:38pm
  • Darcie McDonald
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
a0076f584114392c871d545ba0997390

Dragons coach Paul McGregor may have just one game left with the club. (AAP Image/Dan Himbrechts).Source: AAP
Buzz Rothfield believes Paul McGregor will coach his last game for the Dragons this Friday when his team takes on the Eels.

Rothfield revealed on NRL 360 that McGregor’s position would be discussed at the club’s monthly board meeting on Tuesday next week.

“I think Mary’s time is up,” he said.

Round 14
“He’s won eight of his last 31 games... I think the Parramatta game will be his last game.”

782476_640x360_large_20200810191514.jpg

Mary facing Dragons exit

1:54
Dragons CEO Ryan Webb confirmed to The Daily Telegraph that McGregor’s future will be discussed at the meeting, saying it would be “negligent” to not look at it.

“We wouldn’t be doing the right thing if we didn’t raise it,” he said.

“It would be negligent of us to ignore it.

“Paul knows we will be discussing it at board level now that we’re out of contention for the finals.

“It’s not like we’re doing anything behind his back. It’s now time to have a discussion about it as a group.”

Webb also confirmed that McGregor is aware of the looming discussion.

“He’s got thoughts and feelings. I can’t just walk into the board meeting cold.”

It comes after it was revealed McGregor had lost the support of a number of senior players due to constant changes to the team’s line-up, mainly the merry-go-round of positions million-dollar man Ben Hunt has experienced this season.

“Ben Hunt started at halfback, went to the bench for a month, then went to hooker, then went to halfback, then went to five-eight. There’s no continuity there,” Rothfield said.

“Zac Lomax started the year at fullback, then went to wing, then he went to centre.”

The board discussed McGregor’s future earlier in the season when the Dragons lost to the Bulldogs in what many expected to be the end of his tenure with the club.

McGregor was spared the axe with Webb insisting the under pressure coach had full support of the board.

“When we last spoke about it after round four there was unanimous support on the board for Mary,” Webb said.

“There was no split. It was 100 per cent.

“As a group we haven’t discussed it since. The conversations will roll out this week and we’ll go from there.”

However, Rothfield reports that is not the case this time round.

“I’m told the directors are split. The Wollongong directors are supporting him but those at Kogarah aren't,” he said.

Webb has faced his fair share of challenges since joining the club in March, including the demands of the passionate supporter base who have been on McGregor’s case for years.

“To be honest I’ve had angst pretty much for the four months since I got here,” Webb said.

“Our fans and members are vocal and passionate. It dropped off for a couple of weeks but we’ve got to listen.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...g/news-story/f3fbdcb4813714b479e4bb8f488f49a2

The_Frog

First Grade
That would mess up their plan to have Flanno take over in 2022. Who would coach them for one year? The Walker Bros maybe. They seem to be OK with hit and run missions.

redv13

Bench
I can't believe, it's finally happening.

Webb wouldn't be talking that way if they weren't going to pull the trigger. Surely!

Avocado, I suggest a beer on Tuesday night!

Straight Shooter
As positive as this is sounding I’ll believe it when it happens. This fool was “gone” after the dogs loss in round 4 and the infamous “emergency board meeting”at 1030am Tuesday morning only to have this ongoing shit fight rammed down our throats some more by the Gordon’s at 12pm.

What about a commemorative Sack Mary Night mug from $16.50? The odd one has a few leaks, we are working on that one.

681C7C8F-5BAB-438E-BDCE-92C94FF785C9.jpeg
And I trade marked his stupid expression.

He can buy the rights back off me for a $800k and i will pay the ransom to get our @LINESPEED back from Webbys thugs.

‘Parramatta game will be his last’: Buzz reveals axe hovering over McGregor with board set to meet
NRL Premiership
darcie_mcdonald.jpg

• August 10, 2020 7:38pm
  • Darcie McDonald
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
a0076f584114392c871d545ba0997390

Dragons coach Paul McGregor may have just one game left with the club. (AAP Image/Dan Himbrechts).Source: AAP
Buzz Rothfield believes Paul McGregor will coach his last game for the Dragons this Friday when his team takes on the Eels.

Rothfield revealed on NRL 360 that McGregor’s position would be discussed at the club’s monthly board meeting on Tuesday next week.

“I think Mary’s time is up,” he said.

Round 14
“He’s won eight of his last 31 games... I think the Parramatta game will be his last game.”

782476_640x360_large_20200810191514.jpg

Mary facing Dragons exit

1:54
Dragons CEO Ryan Webb confirmed to The Daily Telegraph that McGregor’s future will be discussed at the meeting, saying it would be “negligent” to not look at it.

“We wouldn’t be doing the right thing if we didn’t raise it,” he said.

“It would be negligent of us to ignore it.

“Paul knows we will be discussing it at board level now that we’re out of contention for the finals.

“It’s not like we’re doing anything behind his back. It’s now time to have a discussion about it as a group.”

Webb also confirmed that McGregor is aware of the looming discussion.

“He’s got thoughts and feelings. I can’t just walk into the board meeting cold.”

It comes after it was revealed McGregor had lost the support of a number of senior players due to constant changes to the team’s line-up, mainly the merry-go-round of positions million-dollar man Ben Hunt has experienced this season.

“Ben Hunt started at halfback, went to the bench for a month, then went to hooker, then went to halfback, then went to five-eight. There’s no continuity there,” Rothfield said.

“Zac Lomax started the year at fullback, then went to wing, then he went to centre.”

The board discussed McGregor’s future earlier in the season when the Dragons lost to the Bulldogs in what many expected to be the end of his tenure with the club.

McGregor was spared the axe with Webb insisting the under pressure coach had full support of the board.

“When we last spoke about it after round four there was unanimous support on the board for Mary,” Webb said.

“There was no split. It was 100 per cent.

“As a group we haven’t discussed it since. The conversations will roll out this week and we’ll go from there.”

However, Rothfield reports that is not the case this time round.

“I’m told the directors are split. The Wollongong directors are supporting him but those at Kogarah aren't,” he said.

Webb has faced his fair share of challenges since joining the club in March, including the demands of the passionate supporter base who have been on McGregor’s case for years.

“To be honest I’ve had angst pretty much for the four months since I got here,” Webb said.

“Our fans and members are vocal and passionate. It dropped off for a couple of weeks but we’ve got to listen.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...g/news-story/f3fbdcb4813714b479e4bb8f488f49a2

“ but we’ve got to listen” = Webb wants him poleaxed.

Unfortunately one key sentence gives the game away -“Paul knows we will be discussing it at board level now that we’re out of contention for the finals".
If theyve already decided we wont make the finals then sacking him achieves nothing for them money wise. And it wont change a thing this year.I bet they'll keep him on this year and replace him next year. That way its cheaper and the result the same.In the meantime we'll lose more players unless they assure the players he wont be here next year. When your management knows you cant make the finals then the next discussion point is money. Hate to say it but i think were stuck with him

ChocOConnor

Juniors
The reason the trigger wasn’t pulled after the dogs debacle is that he rang Andrew and gave him a story about what he has had to deal with over the last 2-3 years and the players aren’t pulling their weight. And as Andrew is a fool of the highest order and a mate he decided to keep the pin in and watch what happens for a few weeks more. Or better he got told by someone his got to go or we won’t have players to field a side come 2021

possm

Coach
That would mess up their plan to have Flanno take over in 2022. Who would coach them for one year? The Walker Bros maybe. They seem to be OK with hit and run missions.
Interim head coach will be Shephard with Flanagan as his assistant.

possm

Coach
Unfortunately one key sentence gives the game away -“Paul knows we will be discussing it at board level now that we’re out of contention for the finals".
If theyve already decided we wont make the finals then sacking him achieves nothing for them money wise. And it wont change a thing this year.I bet they'll keep him on this year and replace him next year. That way its cheaper and the result the same.In the meantime we'll lose more players unless they assure the players he wont be here next year. When your management knows you cant make the finals then the next discussion point is money. Hate to say it but i think were stuck with him
Focusing on the cost of sacking Mary over the cost of keeping him is madness. There is going to be a squad cleanout and we need the new coach to own that decision. We also need to test/train potential players for 2021 under the new coach. He will most certainly have a different pre-season training program to what Mary has.

Mary's contract ends in June and so it is 6 months pay we are talking about. Sure it is outside of the allocated budget but is about 400k. If both owners put in 200k to allow our club to move on and up, it would be money well spent. The interim coach could then be contracted for one whole year, 1 November 2020 to 31 October 2021 at about 500k which would be a net saving to the owners of 50k each.

Mary on 800k a year.
Mary's contract to be paid out 400k
Interim coach be paid 500k for 12 months
Savings on coaching salary 300k
Net extra cost to the owners 50k each.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Whatever happens with The Peanut coach getting rid of him, I’d be sure the deflection shield will come down & he’ll go the full spray attack using his media buddies.
Wouldn’t surprise me that he spills the beans of Flanno’s increased coaching role & cruel his chances for the NRL to reduce his suspension.
He’ll use the opportunity to blame & belittle others in pure arrogance.

My gut feeling is Dean Young will be the coach for 2021 with Flanno as his senior assistant/adviser. Good luck Shane trying to oust Deano from the throne after that.

matPORTS

Juniors
Not willing to get too far ahead of things here. We went through all of this two months ago and were left with the status quo.

But the pressure is well and truly on ahead of Fridays game against one of our bogey teams.

Latest posts