What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob

Juniors
Interesting comments from Gus on Burton tonight on 100% Footy, it's replayed at 10.30 on nine tonight if you want to watch it

Bob

Juniors
What did he say?
Weidler started by saying a couple of clubs we’re looking at Burton, Weidler had spoken to Burtons manager who wants Burton to stay at Penrith as he’s learning a lot from the coaching staff and Nathan, Gus made a few comments saying he saw Burton as a Wade Graham type player who would end up as an edge second rower, Gus also felt Burton should stay as he believes we’re building something special, all the coaching staff need to do is sit Burton down and define a role for him ie the 14 jersey as a sub

GongPanther

Referee
What did he say?
He talked about Cleary and Luai playing together since they were 16, then Burton appears on the scene.

He said (I think) that 6 clubs will be talking to him from Nov 1.

I do remember him saying that he he thinks he will stay because the club is on the verge of something big, and the Panthers could be winning the next three grand finals, and he might want to be a part of that.

For himself, I think he needs to weigh up what he wants as far as his monetary security, and a guaranteed starting position.

Weidler started by saying a couple of clubs we’re looking at Burton, Weidler had spoken to Burtons manager who wants Burton to stay at Penrith as he’s learning a lot from the coaching staff and Nathan, Gus made a few comments saying he saw Burton as a Wade Graham type player who would end up as an edge second rower, Gus also felt Burton should stay as he believes we’re building something special, all the coaching staff need to do is sit Burton down and define a role for him ie the 14 jersey as a sub

That’s weird Gus saying he’ll be an edge back rower. Just a few months ago he was saying Burton would be the best half out of Cleary, Luai & himself.

Burton has better hands than Graham ever did, better kicking too. I think he could be a back rower if he added the bulk, but he could also be a half if he wants, or even fullback. I think it’d be a shame to not see what he can do in the halves before switching to the back row.

Bob

Juniors
That’s weird Gus saying he’ll be an edge back rower. Just a few months ago he was saying Burton would be the best half out of Cleary, Luai & himself.

Burton has better hands than Graham ever did, better kicking too. I think he could be a back rower if he added the bulk, but he could also be a half if he wants, or even fullback. I think it’d be a shame to not see what he can do in the halves before switching to the back row.
Said edge backrower in about 5 years time, when he gets that over 20 body that people get:grin:

franklin2323

Immortal

That is what I said at the time. Gus signed Luai and Cleary long term yet somehow Burton is now the better half

WestyLife

First Grade

That is what I said at the time. Gus signed Luai and Cleary long term yet somehow Burton is now the better half

The change is likely due to the fact we can all see Luai/Cleary are the preferred halves regardless of Burton's talent. If you want to fit him in it has to be in another position now.

The change is likely due to the fact we can all see Luai/Cleary are the preferred halves regardless of Burton's talent. If you want to fit him in it has to be in another position now.

Possible, but it only takes a medium term injury to Luai for Burton to force his way in. Luai isn’t established enough that he’d automatically hold the position. (Although he’s played very well this season, even exceeded my expectations and I’m a fan)

franklin2323

Immortal

How many halves do you see Burton's size? So was too soon to say either way

How many guys of Burtons size do you see with hands and kicking abilities like him? Guys that size can play in the halves, but they’ve gotta have the tools. Similar body shape I can think of didn’t play Rugby League, but Union. Stephen Larkham.

WestyLife

First Grade
Possible, but it only takes a medium term injury to Luai for Burton to force his way in. Luai isn’t established enough that he’d automatically hold the position. (Although he’s played very well this season, even exceeded my expectations and I’m a fan)

I agree. I think it's more Ivan has his preference and it would take injury to get Burton there. Also yeah Luai has been great.

The_Frog

First Grade
ie the 14 jersey as a sub
He was selected in that position for several games but the coach didn't have the faith in him to bring him on. Meanwhile May has owned the 14 position, slotting in well at centre, backrow and dummy half. I'm kinda thinking that as good as Burton could become, he might be surplus to requirements, especially with all the interest from elsewhere forcing his price up.

Exsilium

First Grade

Terry Campese was sizable half. Was half decent before his string of injuries.

Corey Norman, Cody Walker, Gareth Widdop, Michael Morgan etc are all within an inch and a couple kilos here and there.

He was selected in that position for several games but the coach didn't have the faith in him to bring him on. Meanwhile May has owned the 14 position, slotting in well at centre, backrow and dummy half. I'm kinda thinking that as good as Burton could become, he might be surplus to requirements, especially with all the interest from elsewhere forcing his price up.

Hopefully he holds off signing anywhere until next year and we can get a better look at him in some other positions, be it in FG or NSW cup.

Someone with his skills we should be doing the utmost to keep, as long as the price doesn’t get ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts