What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

taipan

Referee
Go Peter Zeus V'Landys. The man is a negotiating genius and the NRL's greatest asset at the moment.

I do hope that by the time it is all said and done though that the stadiums are around 22-25k capacity. Just so that when a team is going well they can average at least 18k+ otherwise it will be a little to small to do that.

Peter "Leonidas "V'Landys, who led 300 Spartans at Thermopylae .Leading 480 NRL players in the Battle of the Bubble,with one traitor Wayne "can't I eat" Bennett

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Barilaro’s on board with V’landy‘s tribalism vision

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/mo...ck-nrl-suburban-stadiums-20200810-p55kdy.html

More Bankwests': Barilaro reveals government will back NRL suburban stadiums
Chris Barrett
August 11, 2020

NSW Deputy Premier John Barilaro has revealed the NRL's bold push for as many as four or five new 20,000-seat stadiums in Sydney has the backing of the state government, saying: "We're going back to basics".

In a development that all but guarantees this year's grand final will remain at ANZ Stadium, Barilaro on Monday said the Berejiklian government was "absolutely" supportive of the NRL's boutique stadia strategy, which proposes multiple "mini Bankwest stadiums" be delivered around the city over the next 10 years including a new venue at Liverpool.

The NRL had sought a commitment from government to its vision of restoring tribalism via suburban venues in return for keeping the grand final in Sydney.

The code has a deal with the state government to play the decider in the city until 2042 but that was signed on the basis of ANZ Stadium being transformed into a rectangular ground along with the construction of a new stadiums at Parramatta and Moore Park.

The scrapping of the ANZ redevelopment means that deal is technically off the table but Barilaro was optimistic about a new memorandum of understanding being struck.

"I'm confident the grand final will be played at ANZ Stadium," he said as the NSW government and the NRL announced a game between New Zealand Warriors and Newcastle in Tamworth on August 29.

59ab686ac0fda2c8254b9d404eb85d17896f7a5e

Manly's home ground is in line for a rebuild.CREDIT:NRL PHOTOS

"We've had a long-term agreement with the NRL and we'll work through those details. But I'm very confident."

ARL Commission chairman Peter V'landys said on Monday he could not comment on talks with government because they were commercial in confidence.

But he has previously made clear his desire to take the game back to the suburbs and his view that a range of new venues would be community assets, not simply football grounds.

Barilaro said the details of the government's backing were still being thrashed out.

"[The NRL] will be seeking some level of contribution from the state government. We'll also be hitting up the feds I suppose along the journey," Barilaro said.

"We're at the early stages of that conversation but absolutely there is an appetite for it."

He maintained, though, that Sydney's retention of the grand final was not contingent on the government splashing out immediately on suburban grounds.

"They are two separate things but they want to know where the government stands … what's the long-term vision," Barilaro said.

"Peter and the NRL, everyone has been working really well together. This has been a tough year. You could use that to leverage each other but we're not."

This is actually a really good outcome for Sydney if it comes off. ANZ would then be left as a major events stadium for the city. The NRL would only need it for the GF and Origin.

New North Sydney Stadium (I wouldn't make it Brooky, I'd get a North Sydney stadium built, force the Eagles out of the peninsular) - Manly
SFS - Roosters, RU, Soccer
Western Sydney Stadium - Eels, Souths, Soccer
New Penrith Stadium - Panthers
New Liverpool Stadium - Dogs, Tigers, Soccer
New South Sydney Stadium - Sharks & Dragons

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
As a tax payer I am apposed to this. Especially a new stadium at Penrith. The one they have there now is fine. Just upgrade the hill to a bigger/steeper hill. Penrith has always been a stupid place for a team being that it is their is nothing West of it. You want people coming from a 360 degree radius around the stadium.

T-Boon

Coach
I don't mean to be critical mate, but I don't think that I have heard a more ridiculous idea for quite some time.

Wow! Just wow!!!

I have no words.

You are a dumb merkin though. I obviously don't mean anything personal by that.

TheRam

Coach
Peter "Leonidas "V'Landys, who led 300 Spartans at Thermopylae .Leading 480 NRL players in the Battle of the Bubble,with one traitor Wayne "can't I eat" Bennett

Mate to lead and fix the ills of the NRL and get the clubs and or State Leagues to not scuttle it you need to be more then a General King, you need to be a freakin God to get it done and done properly.

Hail the God King "Zeus V'Landys!!!"

As a tax payer I am apposed to this. Especially a new stadium at Penrith. The one they have there now is fine. Just upgrade the hill to a bigger/steeper hill. Penrith has always been a stupid place for a team being that it is their is nothing West of it. You want people coming from a 360 degree radius around the stadium.
How much tax do you pay?

T-Boon

Coach
This is actually a really good outcome for Sydney if it comes off. ANZ would then be left as a major events stadium for the city. The NRL would only need it for the GF and Origin.

New North Sydney Stadium (I wouldn't make it Brooky, I'd get a North Sydney stadium built, force the Eagles out of the peninsular) - Manly

An upgraded North Sydney is a good idea.
Souths at Parra stadium is a terrible idea.
And Penrith stadium upgrades is an awful idea.
But a new joint stadium for Dragons and Sharks is the worst idea since my relocatable stadiums idea this morning.

I would prefer upgrades to Newcastle and Wollongong. Sick of the NSW government spending all the $ in Sydney.

T-Boon

Coach
If Newcastle takes over the central coast as it should then Newcastle stadium should be upgraded at both ends to a fully enclosed 35k stadium.
That should supersede Penrith or Manly.

T-Boon

Coach
Newcastle should take over Australia and make it a 100k stadium.

A catchment of 25 million fans! Wow!

Don't get emotional. It should be 35k. That would be good for the economy. We want people leaving Sydney.

If Newcastle was 35k it could host a lot of international sport.

ash the bash

Juniors
Reading between the lines it sort of looks a bit like...

1) Brookvale Oval 20k, master plans are available online. They look pretty neat and mentioned capacity is 20K seats. No Hill. Manly 11-12 games and some union, soccer, local concerts etc..
2) Penrith Stadium 20k - 25k ? Panthers 11-12 games, matilda's, local concerts etc..
3) Liverpool Stadium 25k - 30k ? Bulldogs 12 games, Wests Tigers 4-5 games, pacific tests etc..
4) Jubilee 18k - 22k ? The one stadium I don't quite agree with, could do with an upgrade but with Sharks confirming they won't move from Shark Park I don't see the point of a total rebuild for 5-6 St George games.

My preference..
New: Brookvale, Penrith, Liverpool: Mini Bankwest's at Penrith and Liverpool. New Brookvale will have 2 tiers on East and West stands. If anyone has the link please post it.

Upgrades: Jubilee, LO, Shark Park.

Campbelltown stadium misses out, think Liverpool is the much better option as far as RL is concerned than Campbelltown stadium.

forby

Juniors
Just remember that the largest RL nursery in the world is around Penrith, and there are a lot of Panther supporters in the Blue Mountains.

forby

Juniors
It is all east of Penrith.
The population of the blue mountains is 12.
Where do you come from? and who do you support?
You certainly have no idea about Penrith!
Do you realise that there are more junior players in the Penrith Juniors than the rest of Sydney combined (excluding the shrinking Parramatta juniors)?
The area is also home for 2 of the largest Soccer associations in the state - Nepean and Blacktown.

but let’s just build stadiums to suit soccer, RU and penalise the biggest RL area in the world.

Perth Red

Post Whore

That would be an outstanding result for the game in Sydney but getting the State Govt to invest best part of $1bill in infrastructure it doesnt own could be a challenge unless they are brand new stadiums built on Govt land.