What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons may again hold fire on Paul McGregor as 'far cheaper pay-out' looms
https%3A%2F%2Fimageresizer.static9.net.au%2F-k3QJHMfpJvFIBsY9unEeyeBFk8%3D%2F75x75%2Fsmart%2Fhttps%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Fe13ea063-2e67-448b-9d47-fdb3ceb958f5
By Tim Elbra
10 hours ago

The Dragons might be tempted to hang on to battling coach Paul McGregor until the end of the season to secure a "far cheaper pay-out", Nine NRL reporter Danny Weidler says.

McGregor could coach his final game for St George Illawarra against the Eels on Friday, according to some reports, with a board meeting next week to decide his fate. The Mole reported on Tuesday that McGregor's manager had been summoned to meet with the club this week.

Yet Weidler said that the Dragons, all but out of finals contention with seven games remaining, had a strong financial incentive finish the season with McGregor. The coach survived a potential axing in June, amid reports that a $1 million severance would be required and the club could not afford such a pay-out.

Either way, McGregor is extremely unlikely to see out the final year of his contract as Dragons coach next season.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Fa4b3db4d-1526-4489-8356-e7e0d53d79e9

Dragons coach Paul McGregor. (AAP)
"I don't think he'll be the coach there next year ... but whether they get rid of him now, it doesn't make financial sense for the club in a lot of ways because if he can last until November, there's a far cheaper pay-out for the Dragons and we know we're in a difficult financial time," Weidler said on 100% Footy.

"I guess the only reason for him to go early would be planning. That would be the only reason.

"But I don't think he'll be coach next year. Whether his exit is as early as this week, that's been talked about.

"I know there's a board meeting next Tuesday and obviously Mary's future will be on the agenda, as it has been previously. It makes more sense to say goodbye to him in November."

The Dragons face a headache over the coaching position for next season.

Assistant coach Shane Flanagan, the Cronulla premiership winner, is their preferred option but still barred from a head coaching role in 2021. Another leading option, former Dragons forward Craig Fitzgibbon, has confirmed that he will see out his commitment as a Sydney Roosters assistant.

Current Dragons assistant Dean Young, the 2010 premiership hero, may take on a season-long caretaker role.

"I'd like to see Shane Flanagan back coaching a first grade side but I don't think he's going to get a reduction in his penalty. There doesn't seem to be a strong appetite [among NRL officials] for that to happen," Weidler said.

"Shane's future might depend a bit on what Paul McGregor does. If he's gone, he (Flanagan) went there to be with McGregor.

"It might mean Flanagan has to go somewhere else; maybe like a Bulldogs, for instance, who have got a new coach (Trent Barrett)."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/dragon...-weidler/9faf047c-3712-4128-b523-dbf18c17837f

Dragon David

First Grade
https%3A%2F%2Fimageresizer.static9.net.au%2F-k3QJHMfpJvFIBsY9unEeyeBFk8%3D%2F75x75%2Fsmart%2Fhttps%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Fe13ea063-2e67-448b-9d47-fdb3ceb958f5
By Tim Elbra
10 hours ago

The Dragons might be tempted to hang on to battling coach Paul McGregor until the end of the season to secure a "far cheaper pay-out", Nine NRL reporter Danny Weidler says.

McGregor could coach his final game for St George Illawarra against the Eels on Friday, according to some reports, with a board meeting next week to decide his fate. The Mole reported on Tuesday that McGregor's manager had been summoned to meet with the club this week.

Yet Weidler said that the Dragons, all but out of finals contention with seven games remaining, had a strong financial incentive finish the season with McGregor. The coach survived a potential axing in June, amid reports that a $1 million severance would be required and the club could not afford such a pay-out.

Either way, McGregor is extremely unlikely to see out the final year of his contract as Dragons coach next season.

"I don't think he'll be the coach there next year ... but whether they get rid of him now, it doesn't make financial sense for the club in a lot of ways because if he can last until November, there's a far cheaper pay-out for the Dragons and we know we're in a difficult financial time," Weidler said on 100% Footy.

"I guess the only reason for him to go early would be planning. That would be the only reason.

"But I don't think he'll be coach next year. Whether his exit is as early as this week, that's been talked about.

"I know there's a board meeting next Tuesday and obviously Mary's future will be on the agenda, as it has been previously. It makes more sense to say goodbye to him in November."

Assistant coach Shane Flanagan, the Cronulla premiership winner, is their preferred option but still barred from a head coaching role in 2021. Another leading option, former Dragons forward Craig Fitzgibbon, has confirmed that he will see out his commitment as a Sydney Roosters assistant.

Current Dragons assistant Dean Young, the 2010 premiership hero, may take on a season-long caretaker role.

"I'd like to see Shane Flanagan back coaching a first grade side but I don't think he's going to get a reduction in his penalty. There doesn't seem to be a strong appetite [among NRL officials] for that to happen," Weidler said.

"Shane's future might depend a bit on what Paul McGregor does. If he's gone, he (Flanagan) went there to be with McGregor.

"It might mean Flanagan has to go somewhere else; maybe like a Bulldogs, for instance, who have got a new coach (Trent Barrett)."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/dragon...-weidler/9faf047c-3712-4128-b523-dbf18c17837f
I'm thinking that Mary will continue to coach the Dragons until the end of the current comp but the big wigs of the club will have to decide on his replacement for next year during this continuation and put in place contingencies for planning structures, coaches and players to be retained/recruited.

It is of no use waiting until years end for them to decide on Mary's replacement. It has to be now going forward. The "new" coach will then have time to work out what is needed and who to go for before the 2021 pre-season starts.

denis preston

First Grade
By Tim Elbra
10 hours ago

Where the fu-k did weedler get this piece of shit ?? Went there to be with Mcbackstabber ? He is one of those smug journos that just asks for a punch in the month to erase that slimy look he gets.

RedVDave

First Grade
As much as I want Mary gone ASAP I think it's best to wait until the end of the current comp. If Young gets promoted and wins the majority of the our remaining games I fear our board will reward his effort with a fat deal and history will repeat.

There are still some quality coaches available. I wouldn't put our eggs in one basket and rely on Flannigan to be our coach. I would be going hard after Toovey or Griffin.

SIR LANCELOT

Juniors
As much as I want Mary gone ASAP I think it's best to wait until the end of the current comp. If Young gets promoted and wins the majority of the our remaining games I fear our board will reward his effort with a fat deal and history will repeat.

There are still some quality coaches available. I wouldn't put our eggs in one basket and rely on Flannigan to be our coach. I would be going hard after Toovey or Griffin.
:disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved:

jak

Bench
Saints should keep Mary but tell him to attend game day only and to sit in the box and do the media presser. Let Deano/Flanno do the rest. He should have no more contact with the players.

That will make him leave as he would look as useless as he already is.
and just how will mary find the ground all on his own.

RedVDave

First Grade
Saints should keep Mary but tell him to attend game day only and to sit in the box and do the media presser. Let Deano/Flanno do the rest. He should have no more contact with the players.

That will make him leave as he would look as useless as he already is.

They should keep him but play him at centre that way he'll get injured and have to miss the rest of the season.

getsmarty

Immortal
Warriors target Pangai jnr, Dragons want Bird to make flight home
Adrian Proszenko and Adam Pengilly
Updated August 12, 2020 — 4.44pmfirst published at 11.24am
  • Send via Email

The Warriors will turn their attention to troubled stars Tevita Pangai jnr and Jack de Belin after missing out on Canterbury forward Adam Elliott.

Elliott’s decision to commit to the Bulldogs on a three-year deal has triggered a domino effect in the player market that could result in Jack Bird returning to St George Illawarra.

Brad Fittler and Andrew Johns reveal their footy tips for Round 14.

The Bulldogs and Dragons were in the mix for Elliott’s services, with the Red V now likely to ramp up talks with Bird's management after missing out.

Pangai jnr is also looking for a new home.

Brisbane is expected to sack the Tongan international for a series of biosecurity bubble breaches that have attracted a proposed fine of $30,000 and an indefinite suspension.

The NRL handed Pangai jnr a breach notice that prompted chief executive Andrew Abdo to conclude he was guilty of "committing multiple contraventions of the protocols and showing a disregard for the league’s rules."

c0fd2fad5b718f7edff6162ef31fbaf1605c1fcf

Tevita Pangai jnr has almost certainly played his final game with BrisbaneCredit:NRL Photos

The latest breach was a visit to a barbershop that had been raided by police over its association with motorcycle gang the Mongols.

The Roosters moved quickly to distance themselves from Pangai jnr.

"I don’t know what’s going on up there but we’ve worked really hard – as you can see – for the type of player that we want," said Roosters coach Trent Robinson. "And he’s not going to fit that mould."

However, the controversies aren't likely to dissuade the Warriors, who are revamping their roster ahead of the arrival of new coach Nathan Brown next season.

The club on Wednesday trumpeted the signing of Eels prop Kane Evans on a two-year deal and has also secured the services of Dragons centre Euan Aitken. The next priority is a superstar forward and de Belin and Pangai jnr fit the bill.

The Warriors haven't awaited the outcome of de Belin's sexual assault court case to make him an offer. A decision on a motion that will determine whether de Belin's trial will proceed is expected to be handed down this month.

The former NSW lock is mulling over a deal which will give him a $200,000-a-year increase on his current salary, despite the fact he hasn’t played a match for almost two years under the NRL's no-fault stand down policy.

The Dragons are also keen to retain him after standing by him while awaiting a court outcome, but the club has distanced itself from any pursuit of Pangai jnr.

Meanwhile, like Pangai jnr, Bird could also be looking for a fresh start.

The former Shark hasn’t been able to make an impact at Red Hill due to injuries and is torn between proving his worth at the Broncos and returning to Sydney.

The Broncos have allowed Bird to explore his options and the Bulldogs and Dragons have been in talks with his management. Brisbane is prepared to subsidise his salary in order to get Bird off their books.

147ca6b821607ebb36361015380b3df0f145c0c5

Weighing his options ... Jack Bird.Credit:NRL Photos

Elliott’s signing is an early show of confidence in incoming coach Trent Barrett.

"Adam has become a fantastic leader at Belmore and when he runs onto the field for the Bulldogs you can feel the passion he has for the club," said Bulldogs coach Andrew Hill.

"He had also shown during the early part of this season that he was one of the form back-rowers in the competition.

"He continues to do a tremendous amount of work off the field and has always been the first one to put his hand up to offer his time to a charity or to represent the club at a community visit.

"We look forward to seeing him continue to represent the Bulldogs with distinction over the next three years."

Meanwhile, former Kangaroos prop Shannon Boyd has been granted a release from his Titans contract and he will retire to the family farm in Cowra. Boyd's departure after a series of injuries will free up salary cap space for the club.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/it...vans-signs-with-warriors-20200812-p55kwy.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Transfer whispers: Tigers’ bid to offload $800k star, Warriors launch spending spree
NRL Premiership
mark_st_john.jpg

e585bdde0d1456c57732a012d960d5b4

Tigers skipper Moses Mbye could be set to join the Titans.Source: News Corp Australia
The Wests Tigers are willing to pay half of Moses Mbye’s hefty contract for him to play for a rival, while new Warriors coach Nathan Brown is targeting two stars after securing Kane Evans and Euan Aitken.

TIGERS SET TO OFFLOAD SKIPPER TO TITANS

The Tigers are trying to shift captain Moses Mbye to a rival club and are willing to pay half of his $800,000 salary to do it.

The Sydney Morning Herald reported the Queensland Origin star has spiked interest from the Gold Coast Titans about a possible move for next season.

Under the proposed deal the Tigers would be willing to pay up to half of the 26-year-old’s contract to offload him to the Titans on a two-year-deal.

The money saved from moving Mbye on would then be used to try and entice star hooker Harry Grant to remain at the club should Cameron Smith play on at the Storm, which would trigger a clause in the Tigers rake’s contract.

However should Grant return to the Storm, the Tigers would then pursue Melbourne’s New Zealand No.9 Brandon Smith, who is unlikely to stay at the club as he chases a starting hooker role.

It is believed the Titans, who have signed Broncos back-rower David Fifita, Storm forward Tino Fa’asuamaleaui and Knights star Herman Ese’ese are looking at Mbye as a potential five-eighth or hooker.

WARRIORS SIGN DRAGONS, EELS STARS AND IT IS JUST THE START

b7776346b1eb118874d9a2cff50ff0db

Dragon's Euan Aitken scores against the Rabbitohs.Source: News Corp Australia

Incoming Warriors coach Nathan Brown has already made a splash at the club by signing in-form centre Euan Aitken form the Dragons and Kane Evans from the Eels.

The Daily Telegraph reported that next on his hit list are Broncos big man Matt Lodge and Aitken’s stood down Dragons teammate Jack de Belin.

Aitken will link with the Warriors on a three-year-deal and Brown will then turn his attention to improving his forward stocks.

Lodge is contracted to the Broncos for next season, so he would need to negotiate a release to move across the Tasman.

The Warriors have room to move in their salary cap after the departure of five-eighth Blake Green to the Knights and Adam Blair yet to take up his one-year option after falling out of favour at the club.

The Dragons are set to put their faith in Zac Lomax and Brayden Wiliame and will not enter the market for a replacement for Aitken.

The 25-year-old Aitken has scored 38 tries in 115 NRL games, has three Tests for Scotland and was mentioned as a NSW Blues selection chance in 2018.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...g/news-story/63e90b68250792d80404ee28ceccf25f

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Transfer whispers: Tigers’ bid to offload $800k star, Warriors launch spending spree
NRL Premiership
mark_st_john.jpg

e585bdde0d1456c57732a012d960d5b4

Tigers skipper Moses Mbye could be set to join the Titans.Source: News Corp Australia
The Wests Tigers are willing to pay half of Moses Mbye’s hefty contract for him to play for a rival, while new Warriors coach Nathan Brown is targeting two stars after securing Kane Evans and Euan Aitken.

TIGERS SET TO OFFLOAD SKIPPER TO TITANS

The Tigers are trying to shift captain Moses Mbye to a rival club and are willing to pay half of his $800,000 salary to do it.

The Sydney Morning Herald reported the Queensland Origin star has spiked interest from the Gold Coast Titans about a possible move for next season.

Under the proposed deal the Tigers would be willing to pay up to half of the 26-year-old’s contract to offload him to the Titans on a two-year-deal.

The money saved from moving Mbye on would then be used to try and entice star hooker Harry Grant to remain at the club should Cameron Smith play on at the Storm, which would trigger a clause in the Tigers rake’s contract.

However should Grant return to the Storm, the Tigers would then pursue Melbourne’s New Zealand No.9 Brandon Smith, who is unlikely to stay at the club as he chases a starting hooker role.

It is believed the Titans, who have signed Broncos back-rower David Fifita, Storm forward Tino Fa’asuamaleaui and Knights star Herman Ese’ese are looking at Mbye as a potential five-eighth or hooker.

WARRIORS SIGN DRAGONS, EELS STARS AND IT IS JUST THE START

b7776346b1eb118874d9a2cff50ff0db

Dragon's Euan Aitken scores against the Rabbitohs.Source: News Corp Australia

Incoming Warriors coach Nathan Brown has already made a splash at the club by signing in-form centre Euan Aitken form the Dragons and Kane Evans from the Eels.

The Daily Telegraph reported that next on his hit list are Broncos big man Matt Lodge and Aitken’s stood down Dragons teammate Jack de Belin.

Aitken will link with the Warriors on a three-year-deal and Brown will then turn his attention to improving his forward stocks.

Lodge is contracted to the Broncos for next season, so he would need to negotiate a release to move across the Tasman.

The Warriors have room to move in their salary cap after the departure of five-eighth Blake Green to the Knights and Adam Blair yet to take up his one-year option after falling out of favour at the club.

The Dragons are set to put their faith in Zac Lomax and Brayden Wiliame and will not enter the market for a replacement for Aitken.

The 25-year-old Aitken has scored 38 tries in 115 NRL games, has three Tests for Scotland and was mentioned as a NSW Blues selection chance in 2018.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-2020-transfer-whispers-moses-mbye-tigers-to-titans-euan-aitken-dragons-to-warriors-contract-signing/news-
story/63e90b68250792d80404ee28ceccf25f

I'm not sure I'd be putting much faith in Wiliame- no more than a journeyman from what I've seen so far. Perhaps that is why SGI is being linked to Jack Bird- but he is riddled with Arthritis as well as injury prone. Hopefully Feagai will slot into left centre and we won't need either of them.

The SGI Board reminds me of the emperor Nero- fiddling while Rome burns. All the good players are disappearing at a rate of knots and we'll be left with the dross. How can they not make the connection between everyone wanting to leave- no one wanting to come- and the continued presence of Egghead?

Will this nightmare ever end?