What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Coaching options.

I doubt many practising nrl coaches are available for next year, but come 2022:

Craig Bellamy
Wayne Bennett
Steve Geogalis
Josh Hannay
Des Hasler
Justin Holbrook
Madge Maguire
John Morris
Todd Payten
Seibs ( likely)

source: zt

So I am thinking a transitional coach for the balance of this year and/or next to institute a proper de-maryfication program.

If the club is patient, there’s at least 5 quality coaches who could be snapped up pretty quickly this year for the 2022 plus show.

I think the club needs a builder like Holbrook, whose at least managed to show something and no doubt had a hand in the bronco Fifita Fiasco, a massive scalp.

But I’d slum it for a year to bring a Bellamy or Hasler on board.

My expectation is a panic though. They can’t do anything until Mary goes. Like an alco has to appreciate they have a problem before they do anything about it.

If Mary is told he will no longer be required next year, he might spit the dummy and walk out.

His ego will bug him about that. He cannot stand being stomped on. He even banned the signs remember. Our Mary is very sensitive.

My thoughts tonight anyway.
I’d entertain John Cartwright. Intelligent and clever player; good style of a bloke and has had tasted NRL success. Getting Gold Coast to the final, assistant coach when Cowboys and Roosters won the comp and recent success with Manly is not a bad record! Has a good blend of experience and still relatively young and not tide to either St George or Illawarra political agendas; could be a good fit for us for the next 18 months.
Bellamy aside, none of the current NRL coaches stand out as ‘must get’ to me including Paul Green.

Last edited:
I’d entertain John Cartwright. Intelligent and clever player; good style of a bloke and has had tasted NRL success. Getting Gold Coast to the final, assistant coach when Cowboys and Roosters won the Comp and now Manly is not a bad record! Has a good blend of experience and still relatively young and not tide to either St George or Illawarra political agendas; could be a good fit for us for the next 18 months.
Bellamy aside, none of the current NRL coaches stand out as ‘must get’ to me including Paul Green.

Yeah, I was only looking at current ones so a limited selection.

Des would my favourite pick of the above. He’s done good things with only a few elites and I think the dragons have a few elites he could get to put out.

For the record, Carty has been pretty good. I met him once through a friend ages ago, he seemed a very decent bloke then.

Craig Bellamy- if you have to ask the price you can't afford it. Bellyache will be a one club man as a coach, just as he was as a player.
Wayne Bennett- possible, but he's hardly smoking up the comp with the sharpest backline this side of the Roosters.
Steve Geogalis- stand-in coach at best.
Josh Hannay- likewise
Des Hasler- how can they attract him from Manly? With huge dollars, which I doubt they can afford.
Justin Holbrook- will be secured by the Titans
Madge Maguire- Worse than Mary. I hate to think of the effect on Tigers fans if he left them for greener pastures.
John Morris- Seems secure in his current gig.
Todd Payten- Cowboys
Seibs ( likely)- worse than Mary, and needs a year off at least to count his payout and drink himself stupid after this year.

I'll toss one in.....Griffin.

Great read:thumbsup:

Banjo2014

Juniors
Kevvie Walters would probably bring Corey Parker, Justin Hodges and others with him on the coaching staff.

I would hire all three of them and promise that they can keep their gigs at Fox albeit on a smaller scale.

Also

Bring back a couple of League legends to become trainers - Brad Mackay and Matt Cooper.

Unfortunately if Ikin get's the CEO job for the Broncos that means the Walker Borthers are out of contention as they will coach Brisbane in 2021.

I cannot see Bellamy nor Robinson stand in the way of Jason Ryles or Craig Fitzgibbon if they were interested.

Last edited:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Can someone help me out and understand why someone in Webb’s position would say such a thing. May just show how much of an asylum the place has become and he should run at the first chive
Once you add in the last sentence of his quote though it looks better. At least he is acknowledging that he really has no choice and the financial hit of keeping Mary is beginning to outweigh the hit of paying him out.

possm

Coach
Once you add in the last sentence of his quote though it looks better. At least he is acknowledging that he really has no choice and the financial hit of keeping Mary is beginning to outweigh the hit of paying him out.
I doubt that money has anything to do with it, both owners could afford a payout. Just a few rounds of Crowneys as one former CEO would say. In my opinion, the real reason is related to the WIN / Gordon promises made when they won the nod for the SGI share buy out. Which therein gives the reason the former board prefered them to the higher bid.

getsmarty

Immortal
2gt_3261-dragons-rooster-lone-pine.jpg

DRAGONS

'We can make eight': Dragons surprised Mary again under fire
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 12 Aug 2020, 07:01 AM
walterbrad-head.png

St George Illawarra players believe they can still make the finals and have expressed surprise that the future of coach Paul McGregor was again set to come under scrutiny at next week's board meeting.

Dragons CEO Ryan Webb told NRL.com on Monday that the board had always intended to review McGregor's position once the team was out of finals contention but the players haven't given up hope of a securing a play-off berth.

"We come in and train like we can make the eight and we prepare like we can," fullback Matt Dufty said.

"Obviously it is getting to that point where it is a must-win for us and if we want any chance of being in the top eight we need to start winning some games and hopefully it starts this week against Parramatta

"I don't think we are too far away from getting those victories and it only takes one or two to really turn the season."

The Dragons are six points behind eighth-placed Cronulla with seven rounds of the Telstra Premiership remaining after losing their last three matches.

Before then, they had won four of their previous six matches since an emergency board meeting was called in the wake of the team's round four loss to Canterbury to discuss McGregor's future.

The board unanimously supported McGregor to remain as coach until the end of next season but his position will again be discussed next Tuesday.

"There was obviously a lot of talk about it then and I felt we had been improving since that game," Dufty said. "Obviously we want to win and that is what we have got to go out and do this weekend."

Star five-eighth Corey Norman returns for the Eels clash on Friday night after being dropped last week, with Ben Hunt shifting to hooker and Cameron McInnes moving to lock in place of the suspended Jackson Ford.

Tyrell Fuimaono replaces the injured Tariq Sims (shoulder) in the second row, with Korbin Sims recalled to the interchange bench.

Rookie halfback Adam Clune threw his support behind McGregor but said he didn't feel any added pressure from the knowledge that the Dragons could be playing for their coach's future.

"In some respects I am playing for my future as well," Clune said. "I have only started playing first grade so my focus is just about getting better each week and doing my best for the team.

"I am just trying to do what I can for myself, first and foremost, and that will benefit the team if I can nail my role. I think if everyone can focus on getting their job right that will benefit the team and therefore the coach as well.

"Obviously it's disappointing to have those conversations going on externally but, as a playing group, we fully support Mary.

"This came up earlier in the season and the board decided to keep him on and show faith and nothing's really changed from our perspective. Hopefully Mary stays on board because I've got a really good relationship with him and love playing for him."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/08/12...ns-surprised-mcgregors-job-again-on-the-line/

HenryTatana

Juniors

DRAGONS

Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
walterbrad-head.png

St George Illawarra players believe they can still make the finals and have expressed surprise that the future of coach Paul McGregor was again set to come under scrutiny at next week's board meeting.

Dragons CEO Ryan Webb told NRL.com on Monday that the board had always intended to review McGregor's position once the team was out of finals contention but the players haven't given up hope of a securing a play-off berth.

"We come in and train like we can make the eight and we prepare like we can," fullback Matt Dufty said.

"Obviously it is getting to that point where it is a must-win for us and if we want any chance of being in the top eight we need to start winning some games and hopefully it starts this week against Parramatta

"I don't think we are too far away from getting those victories and it only takes one or two to really turn the season."

The Dragons are six points behind eighth-placed Cronulla with seven rounds of the Telstra Premiership remaining after losing their last three matches.

Before then, they had won four of their previous six matches since an emergency board meeting was called in the wake of the team's round four loss to Canterbury to discuss McGregor's future.

The board unanimously supported McGregor to remain as coach until the end of next season but his position will again be discussed next Tuesday.

"There was obviously a lot of talk about it then and I felt we had been improving since that game," Dufty said. "Obviously we want to win and that is what we have got to go out and do this weekend."

Star five-eighth Corey Norman returns for the Eels clash on Friday night after being dropped last week, with Ben Hunt shifting to hooker and Cameron McInnes moving to lock in place of the suspended Jackson Ford.

Tyrell Fuimaono replaces the injured Tariq Sims (shoulder) in the second row, with Korbin Sims recalled to the interchange bench.

Rookie halfback Adam Clune threw his support behind McGregor but said he didn't feel any added pressure from the knowledge that the Dragons could be playing for their coach's future.

"In some respects I am playing for my future as well," Clune said. "I have only started playing first grade so my focus is just about getting better each week and doing my best for the team.

"I am just trying to do what I can for myself, first and foremost, and that will benefit the team if I can nail my role. I think if everyone can focus on getting their job right that will benefit the team and therefore the coach as well.

"Obviously it's disappointing to have those conversations going on externally but, as a playing group, we fully support Mary.

"This came up earlier in the season and the board decided to keep him on and show faith and nothing's really changed from our perspective. Hopefully Mary stays on board because I've got a really good relationship with him and love playing for him."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/08/12...ns-surprised-mcgregors-job-again-on-the-line/
That’ll f**king do me.

getsmarty

Immortal
Surely the players are taking the piss. Dufty in an interview 3 weeks ago mentioned how Flanno has been helping him and not one word about McMoron. Poor Clune hasn’t had to really deal with the idiot as a coach.

I’m hoping it’s like a thanks for the coaching Moron now Fk off

Ask yourself who wasn't interviewed....That paints an entirely different picture ( sorry for the pun )........ last ditch efforts to call in some favours from mates in the media....

I saw that Seibs is sending in lawyers about vicious rumours etc on the social media.

I thought I’d better clear up a few things if Marys lawyers tune in here.

We are 800 plus pages into this and I’ve never read a vicious rumour about Mary on any personal level in any way on this entire forum.

Every post has been for entertainment and humour purposes only and I can’t see anything that would cause any ordinary person to think less of Mary, Webby, Bj, Gerard, the hippies and the Board. They would conclude that we are all mad instead!

It is otherwise honest opinion or fair comment.

If I have caused any offence to Mary or any of the above fine people above, I apologise.

I have also been very outspoken as to the entitlement of jdb to be presumed as innocent and I stand behind that.

Whatever mayhem raised here, I have not intended to offend or denigrate Mary or impute anything untoward on a personal level. In fact, I’ve heard quite the opposite about him on a he is very highly regarded by close friends and colleagues. There is just a view that coaching sgi hasn’t been the success everyone was hoping for. That could possibly be on account of factors other than Mary. I think we all agree that there were definitely things well beyond his control.

I did get moderated for alleging corruption but once again it was a joke and an attempt at humour as to his re-signing.

I would like to see Mary take up another role, but that does not mean that I think he is of bad character or a person who has not done all within his power to make his Coaching tenure a success.

I sincerely hope that he enjoys much happiness and success post sgi and that includes coaching at another nrl club, super league etc.

All of my past, present and future posts are to be read within this context. That is the foundation for their appearance on this wonderful thread in one of the best social media forums in the world.

redVinme

Juniors
I saw that Seibs is sending in lawyers about vicious rumours etc on the social media.

I thought I’d better clear up a few things if Marys lawyers tune in here.

We are 800 plus pages into this and I’ve never read a vicious rumour about Mary on any personal level in any way on this entire forum.

Every post has been for entertainment and humour purposes only and I can’t see anything that would cause any ordinary person to think less of Mary, Webby, Bj, Gerard, the hippies and the Board. They would conclude that we are all mad instead!

It is otherwise honest opinion or fair comment.

If I have caused any offence to Mary or any of the above fine people above, I apologise.

I have also been very outspoken as to the entitlement of jdb to be presumed as innocent and I stand behind that.

Whatever mayhem raised here, I have not intended to offend or denigrate Mary or impute anything untoward on a personal level. In fact, I’ve heard quite the opposite about him on a he is very highly regarded by close friends and colleagues. There is just a view that coaching sgi hasn’t been the success everyone was hoping for. That could possibly be on account of factors other than Mary. I think we all agree that there were definitely things well beyond his control.

I did get moderated for alleging corruption but once again it was a joke and an attempt at humour as to his re-signing.

I would like to see Mary take up another role, but that does not mean that I think he is of bad character or a person who has not done all within his power to make his Coaching tenure a success.

I sincerely hope that he enjoys much happiness and success post sgi and that includes coaching at another nrl club, super league etc.

I would love Mary to get a gig somewhere else. One less team to worry about

hazzbeen

Bench
Even the players have lost the plot..........Sorry guys and girls didn't see that it was already posted ......
Main

DRAGONS

Author
Brad WalterNRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
walterbrad-head.png

remote.axd

Dufty gets a late try for the Dragons

"Obviously it's disappointing to have those conversations going on externally but, as a playing group, we fully support Mary ........ They are all F**KED

Last edited:

Latest posts