What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors targeting JDB & Aitken

SnowDragon

Juniors
It's a shame about Aitken, he was playing some good football these past couple months and was improving under a decent coach. Now we can hopefully see what Feagai or Williame can do.

I’m torn as know how to react.
Aitken was a favourite a few years back with so much potential. His running game is powerful, and he can tackle strongly. However his defensive positioning is flakey at times (like our whole back line) and the passing game is almost nonexistent.

I still think a good coach would have fixed the defensive side, and maybe even improved the passing enough... or else turn him into a 13 or 14... but the last few have seen him go backwards...

so I say “good luck mate” and expect Brown to bring out his best.

Gareth67

First Grade
I wouldn't be shocked if Brown turned him into a second rower ala Creagh & Scott.

They have some pretty big boppers in their forward pack as is and it has always been one of the mainstays of the Warriors team - huge forwards - skillful halves and with a very athletic back line . Still you don’t know just what he has in mind regarding Atkins , but in saying that I wish the pair of them the best of luck at the Warriors.

Dragons 09

Juniors
I've never been a fan of Euan, no remorse he has gone, but i'm very happy for the young fella that he will finally get the opportunity to hopefully learn the skills he is obviously lacking. I just hope it's not too late for him but i sincerely wish him all the best. Let's hope he can do what Mann and Leilua are doing and get his career back on track.

getsmarty

Immortal
Aitken confirms Dragons departure to link with Warriors
Dragons Den
r0_0_4125_3140_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

GONE: Euan Aitken has confirmed he will depart the Dragons at the end of the season to link with the Warriors. Picture: NRL Imagery

EUAN Aitken will follow Tyson Frizell out the door at season's end after confirming he will link with the Warriors on a three year deal from next season.

Aitken took to Instagram to confirm reports that emerged on Tuesday that he had inked the deal with the Warriors, after reportedly not being offered a contract by the Dragons.

"Firstly I would just like to thank @nrl_dragons for opportunity to play for such a proud club, I also want to thank the proud members and fans for the support over the years," Aitken wrote.

"Sadly my time at the dragons has come to end but I'm keen to finish the year of on a high with my mates.

"When one door closes another one opens and I'm super excited say I've signed with the @nzwarriors and can't wait for the new challenge that lies ahead."

READ MORE: Players need to put their hand up if McGregor shown the door

Aitken debuted for the Dragons in 2015 and forced himself into the NSW Origin selection frame by 2018 before hitting the skids last season.

It saw him overlooked for Tim Lafai and Brayden Wiliame early in the season but he's re-found top form since being recalled - running for a huge 149 metres a game.

Landing Aitken is one of the first forays into the recruitment market for the Warriors since announcing Nathan Brown will take the reins next season.

Eels prop Kane Evans is also headed across the ditch while the Warriors have made stood-down Dragons star Jack de Belin a priority despite his legal dramas dragging.

The New Zealand club have offered de Belin a significant increase on his current contract with the Dragons - that expires at the end of this year - despite the fact he hasn't played for the best part of two seasons as he awaits the outcome of his sexual assault case.

He next appears in Wollongong Court on August 28 for a determination on pre-trial legal argument, with a trial date tentatively scheduled for November should the case proceed that far.

De Belin has also opened talks with the Dragons but luring Aitken - de Belin's closest mate at the club - across the Tasman could play in the Warriors favour.

Aitken will join an exodus that includes Frizell and James Graham, who was released from the remainder of the current season to link with St Helens.

The Dragons had been linked to Bulldogs back-rower Adam Elliott - another Warriors target - but it was announced he will remain at the Bulldogs on Thursday.

The Dragons had also been tossed up as a potential destination for Tevita Pangai jnr - who was on Wednesday fined $30,000 and stood down indefinitely by the NRL for biosecurity breaches - should he be given his marching orders by the Broncos though that interest is no longer there.

Roosters coach Trent Robinson also bluntly ruled out any interest in his services on Wednesday.

Aitken's departure will leave the Dragons in the market for an elite outside back having released Tim Lafai to the Bulldogs, with Wiliame the only recognised centre at the club alongside Zac Lomax.

The club launched a big-money pursuit of Moses Suli earlier this season, one he knocked it back to stay with the Sea Eagles.

Jacob Host and Tristan Sailor are other current Drgons off-contract, along with recent aquisition Kaide Ellis, while Adam Clune, Josh Kerr and Mikaele Ravalawa have signed extensions this season.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...gons-departure-to-link-with-warriors/?cs=3713

This Year?

Immortal
What a great news day.
Aitken leaving.
Lodge broken leg.

They say things happen in 3's so let's hope they saved the best for last...

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Aitken and JDB are good mates too so it wouldn’t shock me if they decided to move over there together. We will have to wait and see. But it goes to show, change coach even to a very average one and the signings flow. I can’t see us getting anyone.

You'd have to think that even if JDB isn't convicted, he will be deeply scarred and embarrassed by the entire episode and want a change of scenery. In Rugby mad New Zealand he may find some anonymity and be able to start over.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
You'd have to think that even if JDB isn't convicted, he will be deeply scarred and embarrassed by the entire episode and want a change of scenery. In Rugby mad New Zealand he may find some anonymity and be able to start over.

I think his anonymity would last about 2 games.

epDragon62

First Grade
Aitken was a favourite a few years back with so much potential. His running game is powerful, and he can tackle strongly. However his defensive positioning is flakey at times (like our whole back line) and the passing game is almost nonexistent.

I still think a good coach would have fixed the defensive side, and maybe even improved the passing enough... or else turn him into a 13 or 14... but the last few have seen him go backwards...

I was a little the same but ultimately I'm pleased for both the club and him that he is going. His deficiencies cannot be sugar-coated and it is very unlikely that they will be fully resolved. Time for change and the club saying it would not offer him a contract is exactly what should be happening.

Good luck and please take your #1 fan with you.

Adolf_Spritzer

Juniors
I was a little the same but ultimately I'm pleased for both the club and him that he is going. His deficiencies cannot be sugar-coated and it is very unlikely that they will be fully resolved. Time for change and the club saying it would not offer him a contract is exactly what should be happening.

Good luck and please take your #1 fan with you.

Check the headlines :grin:

possm

Coach

As Mary's assistant, wasn't Young the defensive coach for a couple of seasons?

Mjab

Juniors
As Mary's assistant, wasn't Young the defensive coach for a couple of seasons?

Sadly yes

Definitely defensive coach last year, and what a great effort !:lying_face:

Flanno started defence this year but recently switched to attack and attack picked up

So do we assume Young was attack at start of year? When we scored no points even against dud teams

Well I guess if you are so shit as either a defence or attack coach , maybe he will do better as head coach !!

I suspect being mentored by fat Albert, I think statistically the worst ever ST G coach

Ah Yes Dragons footy

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
And never let it be said that the ads on this forum aren’t linked to what we type..

Scary..

5EBC1D2B-EC13-477B-9874-609A25B164DA.png