What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saints are completely f**ked - McGregor sacked

Fangs

Coach
One thing that is certain: They must employ a coach who understands the Dragons culture. A key ingredient in the modern game.

Barrett and Brown would have been inspired choices. Perhaps Jason Ryles or Shaun Timmins can fill the void.

The more I think about it, the more confident I feel about the Dragons future. 2021 will be your year.

Link to article on the NRL's website - https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/08/13/mcgregor-era-over-as-dragons-coach-falls-on-his-sword/

Article reprinted below -

McGregor era over as Dragons coach falls on his sword
Author: Brad Walter & Dan Walsh
Timestamp: Thu 13 Aug 2020, 10:26 AM

Paul McGregor's reign as coach of St George Illawarra is set to end after Friday night's clash with Parramatta after being told by the board the club wanted to appoint a new mentor for 2021.

As first reported by The Sydney Morning Herald, McGregor has told his players at Thursday's final training session before the match that he will not see out the season.

Assistant coach Dean Young will take over in an interim capacity for the final six rounds of the Telstra Premiership.

The club has made an official announcement on McGregor's tenure ending and CEO Ryan Webb is set to speak publicly later on Thursday at a media conference alongside the coach.

The NRL has indicated no approach has been made by the Dragons regarding the potential easing of assistant coach Shane Flanagan's two-year ban from head coaching, which would be needed for him to take charge of the club before 2022.

As far as the governing body is concerned, nothing has changed since ALRC chairman Peter V'landys shot down the prospect of Flanagan making an early return as a head coach two months ago. "He has to serve the penalty he's been given and there's no reason at this stage to change that penalty," he said in June.

McGregor, who was contracted until the end of next year, has coached the Dragons since 2014 when he took over after Steve Price was sacked mid-season.

"I wish to thank the Dragons for allowing me to be head coach over the past seven seasons as well as everyone who has been involved in my journey at this proud club," McGregor said in the statement released by the club.

"I approached the club's chief executive Ryan Webb earlier in the week regarding a number of matters and we eventually came to an agreement that this week will be my last as coach of the Dragons.

"I understand a fresh face and new voice is needed to move the club forward. I hope this decision will provide clarity to the playing group, the entire staff and our passionate Red V members and partners regarding the direction the club is headed.

"After 25 years with the Illawarra Steelers and St George Illawarra as a player, staff member, captain and coach, I viewed my positions as a series of privileges not obligations.

"We haven't met performance expectations over the past 18 months, and I take acceptance of responsibility.

"I had the opportunity to build my team, which we did in 2017 and 2018. Unfortunately, we have not put that same side on the field since for a number of reasons.

"Dean Young and the team have a fantastic opportunity over the next six weeks to build into the 2021 campaign. Dean deserves this great opportunity to showcase his capabilities in the head coach role."

McGregor's departure will mean over the past two months, four NRL coaches - a quarter of the competition - have parted ways with their club. Two other teams have interim coaches - Souths and Brisbane - due to Wayne Bennett breaching biosecurity rules and Anthony Seibold taking leave due to a personal matter.

Webb said the decision to end the 52-year-old coach's tenure was "one that nobody took lightly".

"Paul has had a 25-year association with our club and the joint venture's founding club, the Illawarra Steelers and has shown great passion, integrity, character and a strong work ethic throughout this time. He will forever be a part of the Dragons family.

"It's important to note that Craig Young excused himself of any decision making pertinent to Paul's departure and Dean's appointment. As such, for as long as Dean remains coach, Craig will take a voluntary leave of absence from the board.

"The club will now turn its focus to establishing the crucial process of appointing a new head coach for the 2021 season and beyond."

YoHadrian

Juniors

Latest posts