What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Nqcowboy

Juniors
I'm quite supportive of Penrith getting upgraded, just not a new stadium.
Same just fix the eastern stand up a bit and put better roofs on both stands, since they already have a mini centre of excellence under the western stand maybe make that the home for nrlw or something

unforgiven

Bench
Same just fix the eastern stand up a bit and put better roofs on both stands, since they already have a mini centre of excellence under the western stand maybe make that the home for nrlw or something

Its actually quite a good little gym under there. I have been there for sports expos the club sometimes runs for schools, and it is a good setup they had there even before they built the COE over behind Panthers.

Id to a knockdown and rebuild of the Eastern Stand as it really is poor and leave the Western as is.

forby

Juniors
The western stand actually still has the original stand from the sixties in it. The current stand was a result of 2 extensions. The gym and Chairman’s Lounge were the last extension.
A new stadium would be great but the area deserves at least having the ground updated, and maybe have a stand built on the northern end.
I just really get pissed off by the reasons expounded that because the area doesn’t have other tenants that it doesn’t merit a new stadium. This is RL heartland, and is growing larger all the time. The NSWRU abandoned the area, the FFA rejected the best bid when the Wanderers were up for sale, and the AFL wouldn’t know where Penrith was. So what chance is there to get other tenants.

unforgiven

Bench
The western stand actually still has the original stand from the sixties in it. The current stand was a result of 2 extensions. The gym and Chairman’s Lounge were the last extension.
A new stadium would be great but the area deserves at least having the ground updated, and maybe have a stand built on the northern end.
I just really get pissed off by the reasons expounded that because the area doesn’t have other tenants that it doesn’t merit a new stadium. This is RL heartland, and is growing larger all the time. The NSWRU abandoned the area, the FFA rejected the best bid when the Wanderers were up for sale, and the AFL wouldn’t know where Penrith was. So what chance is there to get other tenants.
That is just the issue you have when you are based on the very perimeter of the city, it is not an attractive place to base an elite sports team and that is really the same reason it is not really a good option for a new stadium.

They did a good job of updating that stand as I wasn't aware the original stand is still there, I really like sitting on that side of the ground but am usually in the concourse. They did a good job of the concourse on the Western side as well as my 1st memories of Penrith are watching games in the old small temporary stands they used to have there, the type they have at country grounds. That concourse is now one of my favourite places to watch footy from.

The Chairman's Lounge is also very impressive, I have never watched footy from there but have been there for a lot of training and development over the years. I think it would be excellent for your corporates and not many grounds have a facility like that to use.

The_Frog

First Grade
The western stand actually still has the original stand from the sixties in it. The current stand was a result of 2 extensions.
This was always the plan. I remember as a kid reading about the plans to extend the uncovered grandstand in the club magazine.

franklin2323

Immortal
Would Penrith fans be willing to use a ground near the airport, shared with the Wests Tigers and the new A League side?

The current location isn't suitable for a stadium that is a given. The convention centre being in Penrith should ensure decent transport out to the Airport. Somewhere around the M4 would be central.

That could work depending on what they have planned for the Liverpool ground. I would think Tigers are more likely to play there

unforgiven

Bench
The current location isn't suitable for a stadium that is a given. The convention centre being in Penrith should ensure decent transport out to the Airport. Somewhere around the M4 would be central.

That could work depending on what they have planned for the Liverpool ground. I would think Tigers are more likely to play there

I do too, but if the 2 clubs and the A League side got together and made push for that instead it would have a chance of getting up. I always thought t was a little shortsighted of the Panthers to not push for Bankwest to be built at Blacktown when it was originally being discussed. Clubs really need to be proactive about these stadiums and push for an outcome that is realistic.

GAZF

First Grade
Around the airport. So 30 min drive from Penrith
I think you're overestimating the overall population growth in GWS over that time period. The whole region is projected to grow by 660 000 to 3.4 m in the next 10 years.

upload_2020-8-13_8-27-30.png

Penrith and its surrounding LGAs to grow by 260,000 to 1.4 mil - half of Liverpool LGA included.
upload_2020-8-13_8-27-51.png

Liverpool and surrounding LGAs to grow by 260,000 to 1.5 mil - half of Penrith LGA included.
upload_2020-8-13_8-29-7.png

It's a dead heat between the Penrith and Liverpool areas on this metric. Future demographics, population density, transport and sporting teams servicing these regions would also play a huge part, and could be argued in either direction when considering how stadium funding could be allocated.

Source data: https://www.planning.nsw.gov.au/Research-and-Demography/Population-projections/Projections

franklin2323

Immortal
I think you're overestimating the overall population growth in GWS over that time period. The whole region is projected to grow by 660 000 to 3.4 m in the next 10 years.

View attachment 40925

Penrith and its surrounding LGAs to grow by 260,000 to 1.4 mil - half of Liverpool LGA included.
View attachment 40926

Liverpool and surrounding LGAs to grow by 260,000 to 1.5 mil - half of Penrith LGA included.
View attachment 40927

It's a dead heat between the Penrith and Liverpool areas on this metric. Future demographics, population density, transport and sporting teams servicing these regions would also play a huge part, and could be argued in either direction when considering how stadium funding could be allocated.

Source data: https://www.planning.nsw.gov.au/Research-and-Demography/Population-projections/Projections

Technically Badgery's Creek is Liverpool council area. It is 20km or 30 mins drive to Penrith so it all could be covered with a Stadium out in that area. That would service Campbelltown too

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

I don't think anyone disagrees with you there, it's just that the NSW Government isn't a funding arm for Rugby League, they want multiple tenants and events to rent the stadium to help make it more viable.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't think anyone disagrees with you there, it's just that the NSW Government isn't a funding arm for Rugby League, they want multiple tenants and events to rent the stadium to help make it more viable.

This in a nutshell. If Panthers could find partners or other events and guarantee around 30 events a year at it then I'm sure it would be looked on far more favourably. Spending $250mill on somewhere that has 10-12 events a year isnt a good way to spend tax payers money.

forby

Juniors
So you build it in Liverpool that has no tenants at the moment. The South West Sydney A-League team had their own stadium as part of their entry proposal so that rules them out! The Bulldogs seem happy at Bankwest and Telstra but would like to ugrade Belmore, and the Wests Tigers don't want a home in Liverpool as they are setting up their COE in Concord. So Liverpool makes no sense at all!

Latest posts