What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

He's gone

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Dean Young is the down side, but face it, when you get rid of a coach mid season you have to accept that the assistant will take over for the rest of the year.

Can only hope the Board don't continue the failed experiment of using a rookie coach just because he's there.

boardlumps62

Juniors
I'm happy that Mary is finally gone but very disappointed that Craig Young managed to get his son into the interim head coach job. It will be very difficult to dislodge Dean Young if he comes up with a few wins. Same as when Price was sacked.

Young has been part of the problem ever since Mary was appointed. He should never have been appointed interim coach.

If the long-term coach is not to be Flanagan, then why not appoint the desired coach now and give him the chance to vet his players and plan the off-season? So if Griffin is the target, then why wasn't he appointed immediately?
A few wins what they couldn't win a game of marbles. No forwards no hope.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I take no pleasure in others misfortune. At the end of the day he was a great player and great bloke, that got a decent shot at coaching but couldn’t quite get it done. Wish him well in the future and hope he can go continue his career in England with some success. Hopefully this is a sign that things are starting to change.

getsmarty

Immortal
mcgregor-p-190907_jo_1584.jpg

CLUB NEWS

Paul McGregor to part ways with Dragons
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Thu 13 Aug 2020, 10:19 AM

The St George Illawarra Dragons and coach Paul McGregor will amicably part ways at the conclusion of Friday's night Round 14 game against the Parramatta Eels.

In dialogue throughout the week regarding the future of the head coach role, McGregor and the club came to the conclusion on Thursday morning that the best course of action was for the 52-year-old to vacate the position.

Dragons assistant Dean Young has been named as interim head coach for the remainder of the 2020 season.

"I wish to thank the Dragons for allowing me to be head coach over the past seven seasons as well as everyone who has been involved in my journey at this proud club," McGregor said.

"I approached the club's chief executive Ryan Webb earlier in the week regarding a number of matters and we eventually came to an agreement that this week will be my last as coach of the Dragons.

"I understand a fresh face and new voice is needed to move the club forward. I hope this decision will provide clarity to the playing group, the entire staff and our passionate Red V members and partners regarding the direction the club is headed.

"After 25 years with the Illawarra Steelers and St George Illawarra as a player, staff member, captain and coach; I viewed my positions as a series of privileges not obligations.

"We haven't met performance expectations over the past 18 months, and I take acceptance of responsibility. I had the opportunity to build my team, which we did in 2017 and 2018. Unfortunately, we have not put that same side on the field since for a number of reasons.

"Dean Young and the team have a fantastic opportunity over the next six weeks to build into the 2021 campaign. Dean deserves this great opportunity to showcase his capabilities in the head coach role."

Dragons CEO Ryan Webb thanked McGregor for his contribution as head coach over the past seven seasons.

"The decision to part ways with Paul was one that nobody took lightly," Webb said.

"Paul has had a 25-year association with our club and the joint venture's founding club, the Illawarra Steelers and has shown great passion, integrity, character and a strong work ethic throughout this time. He will forever be a part of the Dragons family.

"It's important to note that Craig Young excused himself of any decision making pertinent to Paul's departure and Dean's appointment. As such, for as long as Dean remains coach, Craig will take a voluntary leave of absence from the board.

"The club will now turn its focus to establishing the crucial process of appointing a new head coach for the 2021 season and beyond."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/08/13/paul-mcgregor-to-part-ways-with-dragons/

Dragons4me

Juniors
Most logical alternative would be Flanagan, unless they can coax the Roosters into releasing Fitzgibbon. Dean Young is not a viable candidate having only narrowly survived the last review himself. My bet is the club will successful lobby the NRL to have Flanagan’s bam lifted and If that happens, there’s a good chance Kyle Flanagan will get released from the Roosters to come over as he’s found himself down the pecking order at the chooks. What that could mean for Norman is obvious. It night also pave the way for Bird to re-join the club. All speculative at this stage obviously but the stars seem to be aligning in this direction.

Bennett.

"The supercoach led the Dragons to a fairytale grand final victory exactly a decade ago and with his time at Souths coming to an end, senior Dragons officials believe he is the man to take the club forward.

"He still has an aura about him and the people at the club love him for what he did in 2010 - he will likely be our first target," a Dragons insider told Wide World of Sports.

Bennett would be likely to retain Flanagan as his assistant, with the former Sharks coach eventually taking over the reins".

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
mcgregor-p-190907_jo_1584.jpg

CLUB NEWS

Paul McGregor to part ways with Dragons
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Thu 13 Aug 2020, 10:19 AM

The St George Illawarra Dragons and coach Paul McGregor will amicably part ways at the conclusion of Friday's night Round 14 game against the Parramatta Eels.

In dialogue throughout the week regarding the future of the head coach role, McGregor and the club came to the conclusion on Thursday morning that the best course of action was for the 52-year-old to vacate the position.

Dragons assistant Dean Young has been named as interim head coach for the remainder of the 2020 season.

"I wish to thank the Dragons for allowing me to be head coach over the past seven seasons as well as everyone who has been involved in my journey at this proud club," McGregor said.

"I approached the club's chief executive Ryan Webb earlier in the week regarding a number of matters and we eventually came to an agreement that this week will be my last as coach of the Dragons.

"I understand a fresh face and new voice is needed to move the club forward. I hope this decision will provide clarity to the playing group, the entire staff and our passionate Red V members and partners regarding the direction the club is headed.

"After 25 years with the Illawarra Steelers and St George Illawarra as a player, staff member, captain and coach; I viewed my positions as a series of privileges not obligations.

"We haven't met performance expectations over the past 18 months, and I take acceptance of responsibility. I had the opportunity to build my team, which we did in 2017 and 2018. Unfortunately, we have not put that same side on the field since for a number of reasons.

"Dean Young and the team have a fantastic opportunity over the next six weeks to build into the 2021 campaign. Dean deserves this great opportunity to showcase his capabilities in the head coach role."

Dragons CEO Ryan Webb thanked McGregor for his contribution as head coach over the past seven seasons.

"The decision to part ways with Paul was one that nobody took lightly," Webb said.

"Paul has had a 25-year association with our club and the joint venture's founding club, the Illawarra Steelers and has shown great passion, integrity, character and a strong work ethic throughout this time. He will forever be a part of the Dragons family.

"It's important to note that Craig Young excused himself of any decision making pertinent to Paul's departure and Dean's appointment. As such, for as long as Dean remains coach, Craig will take a voluntary leave of absence from the board.

"The club will now turn its focus to establishing the crucial process of appointing a new head coach for the 2021 season and beyond."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/08/13/paul-mcgregor-to-part-ways-with-dragons/
G'day once again mate.....Ive missed your posts and info on here....but today Ive really enjoyed this one