What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG Digicel Cup Aiming for July 4 Kick Off

mikail-eagle

Bench
Was disappointing that this top of the table Clash was not telecast over the weekend.

https://www.thenational.com.pg/tigers-maul-gurias/

Tigers maul Gurias
July 20, 2020The NationalSports

Tepend’s men keep title defence intact

THE Tigers kept their title defence intact with a 24-16 win over the Rabaul Gurias in the Digicel Cup top-of-the-table clash at the Lae Rugby League Ground yesterday.

The round-three win saw the Stanley Tepend-coached side displace the Gurias at the top of the ladder in the country’s premier rugby league competition.

In the earlier match, the Enga Mioks and Waghi Tumbe played out a 12-12 draw.
The Tigers got off on the wrong foot, making a number of errors in the opening minutes but the visiting Gurias failed to make their opportunities count.

The Gurias then made errors of their own to open the door for the Tigers to score in the 12th minute.
Gurias fullback Terry Wapi fumbled the ball which led to Jokedi Bire crossing over for the hosts’ first try.
The Tigers scored their second try off a quick play-the-ball which allowed man-of-the-match Joe Joshua to send Bire over again in the 28th minute for a 10-0 lead.

Interchange Edwin Ipape dominated the ruck to send Anderson Benford over for an unconverted try to give the Tigers a 14-0 halftime lead.

In the second half, the Gurias re-grouped and applied pressure on the Tigers defence with captain Watson Boas chipping for Allan Simbiri to score a converted try.

But the home side responded with another try to extend their lead through Butler Morris on right corner.
The Tigers scored their final try to put the match beyond doubt.
John Ragi Jr combined with Boas to score a try and bring the scores to 10-24.

Wapi scored a converted try but the defending champions held on to continue their perfect start to the season with their third straight win.

Results: Sat, July 18 – Isou 16 Eagles 10
, Vipers 6 Muruks 12; Sun, July 19 – Dabaris 16 Cutters 16, Wigmen 18 Lahanis 8, Mioks 12 Tumbe 12, Tigers 24 Gurias 16.

mikail-eagle

Bench
https://www.thenational.com.pg/k9-8mil-stadium-for-new-ireland/

K9.8mil stadium for New Ireland Province

Province aiming to field Digicel Cup side in 2022

THE New Ireland government will build a new stadium at a cost of K9.8 million which should help its partnership should the Papua New Guinea Rugby Football League flourish in the province.

The partnership will see the government allocate K100,000 per annum for the next five years to help the new provincial rugby league board and the Papua New Guinea Rugby Football League (PNGRFL) develop the sport in New Ireland.
“New Ireland sons and daughters will have a proper stadium to come together for sports,” deputy governor Sammy Missen said during New Ireland Day at Kopkop showground in Kavieng on Monday.
“It is going to be a great sporting wonder in the New Guinea Islands.
“I believe this will be the first professional stadium in the region.
“We will be able to host major sporting events here at Kopkop.
“Kopkop, you will never be the same.”
PNGRFL chairman Sandis Tsaka told The National that the stadium, understood to be scheduled for completion by September next year, would help New Ireland’s bid to field a team in the Digicel Cup in 2022.
He said the partnership was an important milestone for rugby league in the country and thanked New Ireland Governor Sir Julius Chan for supporting the sport.
Tsaka attended the groundbreaking ceremony with PNG Kumuls head coach Michael Marum, PNGRFL chief executive Reatau Rau, New Guinea Islands development officer Solomon Darius and game development manager Toksy Nema.
“PNGRFL was invited by Sir Julius and the New Ireland government to celebrate three milestones,” he said.
“Firstly, to celebrate New Ireland Day with him, his government and the people of the province.
“Secondly, to partake in a groundbreaking ceremony for the new stadium.
“Thirdly, to sign a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the provincial government to promote and support the development of rugby league in New Ireland.
“During the (MoU) signing, the provincial government presented a cheque for K50,000 to start work on the partnership.
“The government further committed K100,000 per annum for the next five years to support the game in New Ireland.

“These funds will support the provincial rugby league board and its programmes in New Ireland.”

mikail-eagle

Bench
https://www.thenational.com.pg/boas-to-honour-uk-deal/

Boas to honour UK deal

PAPUA New Guinea Kumuls halfback Watson Boas says he will return to Doncaster next season to complete his two-year contract with the Betfred League One side in the United Kingdom (UK).
The club had granted compassionate leave for the 25-year-old to return home due to family commitments early this year. Since then, he has been unable to return to the UK due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
Boas told The National last week that he was informed by the Doncaster management on the season cancellation of the third-tier competition in response to the pandemic.
“I still have one year left on my contract so I will be heading back to the UK,” he said.
“The Doncaster management have advised that they will arrange for me to go back prior to the start of next season, so hopefully the Covid-19 situation improves.”
The former Featherstone Rovers halfback, recruited by the Rabaul Gurias for the Digicel Cup season, said he was focused on maintaining his form in the domestic competition.
The former SP Hunter said he was fortunate that the Digicel Cup was still running despite the pandemic.
“We are lucky that our competition here is still running and we should be thankful,” Boas said.
“I just want to maintain my form and give my best every week for the Gurias.
“In terms of representative duties, the Oceania Cup is still on schedule so I have to maintain my fitness to push for selection into the Kumuls.
“Hopefully, I don’t get injured in the Digicel Cup.
“I want to stay fit and healthy.”

mikail-eagle

Bench
With Port Moresby under lock down again with a resurgence in Covid-19, only the 2 matches that were scheduled to be played in Lae went ahead.

The 4 games that were scheduled for Port Moresby will take place this weekend.

The games that took place in Lae were;

Mendi Muruks 18 def Waghi Tumbe 16
Lae Tigers 34 def Mt Hagen Eagles 24

mikail-eagle

Bench
https://www.thenational.com.pg/chow-lae-can-host-more-games/

Chow: Lae can host more games

TIGERS owner Ian Chow says Lae can host more Digicel Cup matches if the Papua New Guinea National Rugby League Competition (PNGNRLC) wants to move games from Port Moresby over the lockdown.
“Digicel Cup matches draw big crowds to the Lae Rugby League Ground,” he said.
“But due to the Papua New Guinea Rugby Football League’s Covid-19 protocols, we’ve been restricting attendance so far this season.
“Having said that, Lae is free from the Covid-19.
“We still have more fans who are eager to attend matches but sometimes don’t gain entry.
“With the current situation in Port Moresby going under lockdown, I think Lae can host more games.
“If PNGNRLC decides to move games from Port Moresby then the Lae Rugby League Ground is available.”
But Chow said an advantage of playing Digicel Cup matches in Port Moresby was that it was convenient for TV Wan to broadcast the games to a wider audiences in the country and abroad.
“Games in Port Moresby are easy to broadcast on TV so it’s always good to host games there,” he said.
“It will market our competition to a wider audience.
“In terms of broadcasting matches, playing in Lae and other centre is not suitable.
“That’s the only downside otherwise Lae is a great location to host more matches.
“But I’m just a franchise owner, it’s a call that only PNGNRLC can make.”

mikail-eagle

Bench
https://www.thenational.com.pg/wabo-hails-zemings-inclusion-as-trainer-for-wigmen-trainer/

Wabo hails Zeming’s inclusion as trainer for Wigmen trainer
August 6, 2020The NationalSports

HELA Wigmen coach Charlie Wabo says the inclusion of former SP Hunters centre Noel Zeming as the Digicel Cup team’s trainer has helped get the best out of his players.
Last year’s runners-up Wigmen and defending champions Lae Tigers are the only unbeaten sides this season.
Former Kumuls rake Wabo told The National yesterday that Zeming, who played two tests for Papua New Guinea, had fit in well and pushed the players at training every week.
“I enjoy working with him and he is experienced,” he said.
“We both share our experiences and mentor the boys.
“The players really understand us and it’s evident in their performances.
“I guess that’s why we are doing well at the moment.
“It was disappointing that we lost in the grand final last year.
“But this is a new season with some young players coming in as well.
“The team spirit is there, the players have the ability to learn and adapt quickly which is what we need.
“It’s a short season and we’re looking to maintain consistency.”

Meanwhile, Wigmen chairman Andy Hetra praised Wabo and Zeming for getting the team to perform well every weekend.
“We are grateful to have the services of former Kumuls Charlie Wabo and Noel Zeming,” he said.
“Both men have great experience.
“They were the best in their prime.
“They know what it takes to get the best out of the players, having been there themselves,” Hetra added.

mikail-eagle

Bench
https://www.thenational.com.pg/no-spectators-manning/

No spectators: Manning
August 6, 2020The NationalSports

ORGANISERS of the Digicel Cup and Kumul Petroleum National Soccer League (NSL) have been instructed to broadcast their Port Moresby matches during the citywide Covid-19 lockdown.
In a letter to Papua New Guinea Sports Foundation acting executive director Micah James, National Pandemic Controller David Manning issued seven measures for both competitions.
They are:

• NO spectators at games;
  • ALL games to be broadcast for home viewing;
  • CONTINUE stringent Covid-19 protocols with added measures for conduct of teams;
  • ADHERE to the mandatory mask measures for Port Moresby;
  • All Port Moresby teams to be in closed camps for the lockdown;
  • All special-permission request for travels for outside team’s scheduled to play in Port Moresby; and,
  • OUTSIDE teams to adhere to strict fly in-fly out protocols.
“As you are aware, the Covid-19 transmission in the National Capital District alone is increasing at a very alarming rate and it poses a real threat to PNG,” Manning said.
“I approve the Papua New Guinea Rugby Football League (Digicel Cup) and NSL competitions to continue conditional to these measures being strictly complied with.
“Failure to comply with these conditions will result in the competitions being terminated.
“I have appointed Covid-19 surveillance and monitoring manager Dr Gideon Kendino and Chief Supt Dominic Kakas to observe the matches, on behalf of the National Control Centre, to ensure compliance.”

mikail-eagle

Bench
Results for the remaining Round 5 Fixtures played over the weekend.

1. Rabaul Gurias 22 def Enga Mioks 12
2. Goroka Lahanis 34 def Central Dabaris 32

Both Games were played in Lae.

3. Kimbe Cutters 26 def Gulf Isou 8
4. Port Moresby Vipers 26 def Hela Wigmen 12

Both games played in Port Moresby.
Both games match highlights are also up on the PNG Loop YouTube Channel if anyone can post here. I'm currently having trouble accessing YouTube.

mikail-eagle

Bench
Round 6 results

1. Rabaul Gurias 14 drew Goroka Lahanis 14
2. Enga Mioks 24 def Gulf Isou 14
3. Lae Tigers 26 def Kimbe Cutters 14
4. Pom Vipers 18 def Waghi Tumbe 8
5. Mendi Muruks 16 def Central Dabaris 14
6. Hela Wigmen 20 def Mt Hagen Eagles 6

Latest posts