What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

getsmarty

Immortal
McGregor 'uncomfortable' with controversial move

Brett Graham
1 hour ago

Dumped St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor says the club's controversial selection panel process was a huge reason behind his decision to walk away from the Dragons.

McGregor, who will coach his last game tomorrow night when the Dragons play Parramatta, was close to tears as he spoke of his plans to visit his seriously ill father once he can leave the club's biosecurity bubble.

His axing was described as "not surprising" by premiership winning coach Phil Gould, who revealed he warned the club McGregor's tenure would end badly unless changes were made.

In June the club created a three-man selection panel, comprising McGregor and assistant coaches Shane Flanagan and Dean Young, after losing their first four matches of the season.

A brief resurgence followed, but the club has now lost its last three matches and would likely need a miracle to make the top eight.

BB14OJtB.img
:copyright: AAP Dragons coach Paul McGregor after his team's loss to the Warriors.
"I wasn't comfortable with it," McGregor said when asked about the selection panel.

"I think the coach should get the final say on who is getting selected in the team. You have a coaching team and you need to lean on them.

"There should be hard conversation around that, but the coach selects the team.

"It's hard when you're owning your result, but not getting the team you want."

McGregor said he approached the club about changing the selection process, but the board decided the panel should remain.

"I wasn't dealing with that very well," McGregor said.

"When it gets to the stage where you can't pick a player in the position you feel he's right to play, it's probably not the right thing to coach.

BB15bVqP.img
:copyright: Getty Paul McGregor with assistant coach Shane Flanagan
"That's what's brought it to a head.

McGregor was contracted to the club until the end of the 2021 season. He took over from Steve Price in 2014, taking the club to the finals in 2015 and 2018.

He said he's looking forward to visiting his sick father on the weekend.

"Certainly it's been tough," McGregor said.

"My father is seriously ill. He's been in hospital for quite some time, so I need to go and see him. It's been in the back of my mind. It's part of it, it's not the only thing."

Chief executive Ryan Webb said it was tough to part ways with McGregor, who captained the club in the 1999 grand final.

"Paul has had a 25-year association with our club and the joint venture's founding club, the Illawarra Steelers and has shown great passion, integrity, character and a strong work ethic throughout this time," Webb said.

"He will forever be a part of the Dragons family."

Dean Young will take over for the rest of 2020. Webb said Young's father, Craig, excused himself from any board discussions about the coaching role. Craig will take a leave of absence from the board for as long as Dean is the coach.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sports/mo...mfortable-with-controversial-move/ar-BB17TZX7

HenryTatana

Juniors
He just gave an interview and was asked what his main achievements were

1 blooding new players , players that get their first grade debut ( fmd )

2 getting players to state of origin level ( fmd x 2 )..

That’s it ,
Nothing about being a Centre of Excellence for Mediocrity.

sco22

Juniors
mcgregor-p-190907_jo_1584.jpg

CLUB NEWS

Paul McGregor to part ways with Dragons
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Thu 13 Aug 2020, 10:19 AM

The St George Illawarra Dragons and coach Paul McGregor will amicably part ways at the conclusion of Friday's night Round 14 game against the Parramatta Eels.

In dialogue throughout the week regarding the future of the head coach role, McGregor and the club came to the conclusion on Thursday morning that the best course of action was for the 52-year-old to vacate the position.

Dragons assistant Dean Young has been named as interim head coach for the remainder of the 2020 season.

"I wish to thank the Dragons for allowing me to be head coach over the past seven seasons as well as everyone who has been involved in my journey at this proud club," McGregor said.

"I approached the club's chief executive Ryan Webb earlier in the week regarding a number of matters and we eventually came to an agreement that this week will be my last as coach of the Dragons.

"I understand a fresh face and new voice is needed to move the club forward. I hope this decision will provide clarity to the playing group, the entire staff and our passionate Red V members and partners regarding the direction the club is headed.

"After 25 years with the Illawarra Steelers and St George Illawarra as a player, staff member, captain and coach; I viewed my positions as a series of privileges not obligations.

"We haven't met performance expectations over the past 18 months, and I take acceptance of responsibility. I had the opportunity to build my team, which we did in 2017 and 2018. Unfortunately, we have not put that same side on the field since for a number of reasons.

"Dean Young and the team have a fantastic opportunity over the next six weeks to build into the 2021 campaign. Dean deserves this great opportunity to showcase his capabilities in the head coach role."

Dragons CEO Ryan Webb thanked McGregor for his contribution as head coach over the past seven seasons.

"The decision to part ways with Paul was one that nobody took lightly," Webb said.

"Paul has had a 25-year association with our club and the joint venture's founding club, the Illawarra Steelers and has shown great passion, integrity, character and a strong work ethic throughout this time. He will forever be a part of the Dragons family.

"It's important to note that Craig Young excused himself of any decision making pertinent to Paul's departure and Dean's appointment. As such, for as long as Dean remains coach, Craig will take a voluntary leave of absence from the board.

"The club will now turn its focus to establishing the crucial process of appointing a new head coach for the 2021 season and beyond."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/08/13/paul-mcgregor-to-part-ways-with-dragons/
Getsmarty

You were absolutely right thank Christ the prick is gone:thumbsup::thumbsup:

slippery5

Juniors
Full of excuses still :
"I had the opportunity to build MY team, which WE did in 2017 & 2018. Unfortunately, we have not put the same side on the field since, for a number of reasons"
So it wasn't HIS fault after all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And another one:
"how can I own a result when you are not picking the team you want"

I wonder if he owns the result when HE picked the team he wanted.

TruSaint

Referee
McGregor 'uncomfortable' with controversial move

Brett Graham
1 hour ago

Dumped St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor says the club's controversial selection panel process was a huge reason behind his decision to walk away from the Dragons.

McGregor, who will coach his last game tomorrow night when the Dragons play Parramatta, was close to tears as he spoke of his plans to visit his seriously ill father once he can leave the club's biosecurity bubble.

His axing was described as "not surprising" by premiership winning coach Phil Gould, who revealed he warned the club McGregor's tenure would end badly unless changes were made.

In June the club created a three-man selection panel, comprising McGregor and assistant coaches Shane Flanagan and Dean Young, after losing their first four matches of the season.

A brief resurgence followed, but the club has now lost its last three matches and would likely need a miracle to make the top eight.

BB14OJtB.img
:copyright: AAP Dragons coach Paul McGregor after his team's loss to the Warriors.
"I wasn't comfortable with it," McGregor said when asked about the selection panel.

"I think the coach should get the final say on who is getting selected in the team. You have a coaching team and you need to lean on them.

"There should be hard conversation around that, but the coach selects the team.

"It's hard when you're owning your result, but not getting the team you want."

McGregor said he approached the club about changing the selection process, but the board decided the panel should remain.

"I wasn't dealing with that very well," McGregor said.

"When it gets to the stage where you can't pick a player in the position you feel he's right to play, it's probably not the right thing to coach.

BB15bVqP.img
:copyright: Getty Paul McGregor with assistant coach Shane Flanagan
"That's what's brought it to a head.

McGregor was contracted to the club until the end of the 2021 season. He took over from Steve Price in 2014, taking the club to the finals in 2015 and 2018.

He said he's looking forward to visiting his sick father on the weekend.

"Certainly it's been tough," McGregor said.

"My father is seriously ill. He's been in hospital for quite some time, so I need to go and see him. It's been in the back of my mind. It's part of it, it's not the only thing."

Chief executive Ryan Webb said it was tough to part ways with McGregor, who captained the club in the 1999 grand final.

"Paul has had a 25-year association with our club and the joint venture's founding club, the Illawarra Steelers and has shown great passion, integrity, character and a strong work ethic throughout this time," Webb said.

"He will forever be a part of the Dragons family."

Dean Young will take over for the rest of 2020. Webb said Young's father, Craig, excused himself from any board discussions about the coaching role. Craig will take a leave of absence from the board for as long as Dean is the coach.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sports/mo...mfortable-with-controversial-move/ar-BB17TZX7

Glad he's gone, but didn't know about his dad being seriously ill.
Tough time.

Without a pack of granite forwards, the backline ain't going to matter.
We have a soft underbelly and get dominated in the forwards regularly.
Recruitment and youth development need to be made a priority.
We need a coach that is going to attract talent that will strengthen our squad - especially in the forwards.
Even during his departure speech he mentioned the Team he built in 2017 and 2018.
Came 9th in 2017 but under what circumstances?
Yes.......I’d like to say some kind words but I have none.

He was making excuses until the very end.....”I had the team I wanted in 2017-18 but unfortunately I haven’t since then.”

Please Paul, have nothing further to do with the club, let the Dean Young recommendation be the last thing you ever do that has mistake written all over it.
Round 26 - 2017 vs Canterbury
Both Widdop and De Belin playing - they are two players that he constantly uses as an excuse when they were out. He had the team he wanted and fell off the cliff in the second half of the year.
Got rolled by the Dogs and got unceremoniously dumped out of the finals.
After that disastrous season, should have been sacked.
In stead, they saddled up for more of the same.
As you say, excuses even on the way out the door which hold no water.
Never qualified to coach FG in the first place and it took 7 dismal years to finally get rid of him.
Not really McGregor's fault if the Board kept renewing his contract and upgrading the money.
He will go down in the club's history as the worst coach we have ever had.

Last edited:

thebigredv

First Grade
McGregor had years to pick the team he wanted and the results were always the same. I can understand his frustration but he himself had forced their hand.

Years persisting with players like McCrone, Aitken, Lafai, Latimore... That was you, McGregor.

Picking a team was the least of his weaknesses. No game plans, not able to bring the best out of players, running them into the ground.... Sure, the players like him but the fans like winning more.

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL 2020: Coach Paul McGregor hits out after parting ways with the Dragons
Paul McGregor is making plenty of noise as he heads out the door, revealing how Dragons bosses prevented him from doing his job properly.

James Matthey

@jamesmatthey
dd423ba46d49b59b6471332a730d68dc

27 comments
August 13, 20201:21pm
5e2f3ae105ea6ef83c0340b0459f6a4b

Paul McGregor has hit out after confirmation his time as Dragons coach is over

The Sydney Morning Herald reports the St George Illawarra board told McGregor on Wednesday night he wasn’t the man to lead the club going forward despite having another season to run on his contract.

The 52-year-old becomes the fourth coach to lose their job this year after Dean Pay (Bulldogs), Stephen Kearney (Warriors) and Paul Green (Cowboys).

The Dragons were reportedly unable to make any guarantees when McGregor approached club powerbrokers for assurances about his future, and in a press release it was announced both parties had mutually agreed to part ways.

Speaking at a press conference after training today, McGregor said he felt crippled by an inability to always pick the team he wanted.

After a horror start to the season, the Dragons took some of the coach’s power away by implementing a three-man selection panel. Every other coach in the NRL would have the final say on who is included in the 17-man team for game day, but not McGregor.

“A couple of weeks ago I spoke to (CEO) Ryan (Webb) about the panel. I wasn’t comfortable with it,” McGregor said.

“I understand the board put it in place to share responsibility around the other coaches but as head coach you need to select your team.

“Ryan took that to the board. It came back that wasn’t going to change.

“It’s really hard to do when you are owning the result but not picking the team you want.

“I wasn’t dealing with that very well.

“When it gets to the stage where you can’t pick a player in the position you feel he’s right to play, it’s probably not the right thing to coach.

“That’s what’s brought it to a head.

“I feel the coach should get the final say in who’s selected in the team.”

2096d93e703dcf3c4c80d6ac74a2c51a

Paul McGregor is gone.Source:AAP

There are several contenders to replace McGregor. Assistant Shane Flanagan is suspended from coaching until 2022 for breaching restrictions placed on him after being banned for his role in the Sharks supplements scandal, but behind the scenes there are reportedly moves being made to ask if the NRL would consider altering their stance.

Green is available and ex-Penrith coach Anthony Griffin is without a job, but Knights legend Andrew Johns believes the Dragons should target Roosters assistant coach Craig Fitzgibbon.

“Fitzy is a perfect fit, Craig Fitzgibbon,” Johns said alongside NSW coach Brad Fittler on Wide World of Sports’ Freddy and the Eighth.

“He’s from down that way, he’s been in an unbelievable system (with the Roosters), you (Fittler) have had him in the Origin (squad). His attention to detail is sensational.

“He’s the next really top-line coach, which then comes off the Trent Robinson coaching tree.

“Local boy from down there, still lives down at Austinmer (on the NSW south coast), which is 20 minutes from Wollongong. It’s the perfect fit.

“I think the time is right and I think he’s the man for the job.”

The drums about McGregor’s future have been beating for some time and the Dragons finally ran out of patience.

The Red V sit 12th on the ladder with just four wins from 13 matches and are out of finals contention.

McGregor was in the firing line after starting the season with four straight losses but St George found form at the right time to give him some breathing space. However, three defeats in the Dragons’ last three games have spelt the end of McGregor’s time at the helm.

McGregor will coach one final game this week, against the Eels on Friday night, before assistant coach Dean Young officially takes over for the remainder of the year.

e6a6f27f5073459e0ded7d30225da54b

The Dragons are going in a different direction.Source:AAP

Confusing selection calls and under-performing players have crippled the Dragons in 2020. Livewire fullback Matt Dufty fell out of favour early in the year and found himself on the bench or out of the side altogether on occasion, while gun centre Zac Lomax started the season in the No. 1 jersey before moving closer to the edge when that experiment didn’t work out.

Even five-eighth Corey Norman was thrust into fullback but most recently, he was dropped from the team that lost to the Roosters last week.

Ben Hunt, signed as a $6 million playmaker, copped plenty of criticism for his ordinary performances as halfback but won praise after being moved to hooker, which pundits agreed was his best position.

However, despite his impressive form as the Dragons’ dummy-half, Hunt was shifted back to first receiver for the loss to the Rabbitohs in Round 12, leading to more questions about McGregor’s decision-making.

McGregor took over from Steve Price midway through 2014 but hasn’t been able to deliver success. Under his reign, the Dragons have won just a single finals game.

Last year the club extended his contract until the end of 2021 but decided it couldn’t wait that long to make a change.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/n...s/news-story/9469e15e474e5d1701cde204c08dcf8e

Latest posts