What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

He's gone

getsmarty

Immortal
McGregor endorses Young as replacement
  • NRL
    r0_0_800_600_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Outgoing coach Paul McGregor says Dean Young (pic) should be his successor at St George Illawarra.
    Dean Young has emerged as the early frontrunner to be St George Illawarra's next coach after receiving the endorsement of departing mentor Paul McGregor.

Young will take over the Dragons after Friday night's clash with Parramatta, with Craig Fitzgibbon and Jason Ryles the other likely candidates.

The Dragons have also been linked to Wayne Bennett this year, but he does still have another year left on his deal at South Sydney before he hands over to Jason Demetriou.

Young will be given a dream run to prove himself, with the Dragons up against the struggling Brisbane, Gold Coast and North Queensland in the next three weeks.

Chief executive Ryan Webb said on Thursday the Dragons expected to give themselves until the end of the season to make a decision.

But when asked who should replace him, McGregor was unequivocal in his support: "They have a very good one here.

"After this week he's got six weeks. Dean is as hard of a worker as anyone I have had on my staff.

"He's loyal to the club, has bled for the club and will only do good things for the club. He's a very smart coach.

"I gave him and Benny Hornby their opportunities back in 2014. Dean is going to be a very good coach."

The club's other assistant, Shane Flanagan, remains under a ban from a head-coaching role by the NRL until the end of 2021.

Webb said on Thursday the club would not approach the league on his behalf, but would instead leave that to Flanagan and his manager if they wanted to.

Fitzgibbon is another likely candidate, given he still lives in the Illawarra and is highly regarded as one of the game's best coaches in waiting.

However, he has knocked back recent approaches from other clubs including Newcastle and the Warriors to honour his contract with the Sydney Roosters that ends in 2021.

Former Dragon Ryles will be another name, but he has so far been insistent he wants to honour his commitment to assist Eddie Jones in English rugby next year.

Anthony Griffin is among a host of other free-agent coaches who could be interested.

"We want to go through a fair process and I'd say we'll give ourselves until the end of the season which is six or seven weeks," Webb said.

"That gives the new coach to come in after the break.

"My discussion to Dean was to support Mary for the next few days.

"I think once the process gets put in place around the new coach and he wants to throw his hat in the ring and then."

Meanwhile Young's dad Craig will step down from the Dragons board while the decision is ongoing.

Webb also indicated the club would go down the path of a general manager of football to sit above the coach, but that would likely be employed from within.

"When I worked at the Wests Tigers I thought it kept communication to the board really strong as it came through that GM of football," Webb said.

"I think Ben Haran could actually step into the role. I don't think we need to do any major changes."

Australian Associated Press

https://www.theleader.com.au/story/6877871/mcgregor-endorses-young-as-replacement/?cs=9737

getsmarty

Immortal
McGregor 'uncomfortable' with controversial move

Brett Graham
1 hour ago

Dumped St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor says the club's controversial selection panel process was a huge reason behind his decision to walk away from the Dragons.

McGregor, who will coach his last game tomorrow night when the Dragons play Parramatta, was close to tears as he spoke of his plans to visit his seriously ill father once he can leave the club's biosecurity bubble.

His axing was described as "not surprising" by premiership winning coach Phil Gould, who revealed he warned the club McGregor's tenure would end badly unless changes were made.

In June the club created a three-man selection panel, comprising McGregor and assistant coaches Shane Flanagan and Dean Young, after losing their first four matches of the season.

A brief resurgence followed, but the club has now lost its last three matches and would likely need a miracle to make the top eight.

BB14OJtB.img
:copyright: AAP Dragons coach Paul McGregor after his team's loss to the Warriors.
"I wasn't comfortable with it," McGregor said when asked about the selection panel.

"I think the coach should get the final say on who is getting selected in the team. You have a coaching team and you need to lean on them.

"There should be hard conversation around that, but the coach selects the team.

"It's hard when you're owning your result, but not getting the team you want."

McGregor said he approached the club about changing the selection process, but the board decided the panel should remain.

"I wasn't dealing with that very well," McGregor said.

"When it gets to the stage where you can't pick a player in the position you feel he's right to play, it's probably not the right thing to coach.

BB15bVqP.img
:copyright: Getty Paul McGregor with assistant coach Shane Flanagan
"That's what's brought it to a head.

McGregor was contracted to the club until the end of the 2021 season. He took over from Steve Price in 2014, taking the club to the finals in 2015 and 2018.

He said he's looking forward to visiting his sick father on the weekend.

"Certainly it's been tough," McGregor said.

"My father is seriously ill. He's been in hospital for quite some time, so I need to go and see him. It's been in the back of my mind. It's part of it, it's not the only thing."

Chief executive Ryan Webb said it was tough to part ways with McGregor, who captained the club in the 1999 grand final.

"Paul has had a 25-year association with our club and the joint venture's founding club, the Illawarra Steelers and has shown great passion, integrity, character and a strong work ethic throughout this time," Webb said.

"He will forever be a part of the Dragons family."

Dean Young will take over for the rest of 2020. Webb said Young's father, Craig, excused himself from any board discussions about the coaching role. Craig will take a leave of absence from the board for as long as Dean is the coach.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sports/mo...mfortable-with-controversial-move/ar-BB17TZX7

Gareth67

First Grade
It would be tremendous if they managed to secure Shaun Wane’s services . I do not know if the man is otherwise engaged , but he would certainly get the very best from his players .

If not available then as already said by other members Griffin or Craig Fitzgibbon - I do not believe that he would be interested in the old boys club , but to do the job as he sees fit .

Regardless of the final outcome , the healing process can now begin and eventually the scars - that were made by a man who was placed in a position that he simply was not capable of performing and by a board that did not give a damn until the very end of 7 long years of failures - may be healed .

Last edited:

Reflector

Juniors
Now Gould finally confessing to the review that was never a review and citing confidences couldn't be breached lol

Good luck to Brownie and the Warriors with that over rated prick with the over blown ego in their camp.

* Gus sits there, looking off into middle distance like he's got a winning Powerball ticket, pictures of big foot with Elvis and the cure for COVID all in his jacket pocket *

"I knew it. I KNEW that he was going to get sacked before the season was out."

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I think I haven't felt so euphoric since our 2010 GF.

However, there still a little tempering until we confirm who our long term new coach will be. Whilst there are plenty of contenders, the issue that remains is the $$$ available to attract a coach of quality. Unfortunately, we aren't privy to the 'payout' McGregor has received and how much will be taken from next years cap (coaches and staff).
The new coach has to be one that can rebuild our name and culture, not just be 'in it to win it'. Is a rookie the answer? Can we wait for Flanagan? No doubt Young has been given first bite of the cherry here, but he also isn't the answer, as he has known nothing other than Maryball.

Again though, the available $$ may just be all we can afford. In saying that, it would only be an issue for 2021. After that a coach could and would expect a sizable increase.

In this respect, Shaun Wane would be the perfect fit.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
If the reports are correct and that he quit because of the 3 man selection panel process of Young, Flanagan and himself and he has endorsed Young as the next person to Coach the team them its obvious and not rocket science that Flanno was the underlying problem....

McGregor endorses Young as replacement
  • NRL
    r0_0_800_600_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Outgoing coach Paul McGregor says Dean Young (pic) should be his successor at St George Illawarra.
    Dean Young has emerged as the early frontrunner to be St George Illawarra's next coach after receiving the endorsement of departing mentor Paul McGregor.

Young will take over the Dragons after Friday night's clash with Parramatta, with Craig Fitzgibbon and Jason Ryles the other likely candidates.

The Dragons have also been linked to Wayne Bennett this year, but he does still have another year left on his deal at South Sydney before he hands over to Jason Demetriou.

Young will be given a dream run to prove himself, with the Dragons up against the struggling Brisbane, Gold Coast and North Queensland in the next three weeks.

Chief executive Ryan Webb said on Thursday the Dragons expected to give themselves until the end of the season to make a decision.

But when asked who should replace him, McGregor was unequivocal in his support: "They have a very good one here.

"After this week he's got six weeks. Dean is as hard of a worker as anyone I have had on my staff.

"He's loyal to the club, has bled for the club and will only do good things for the club. He's a very smart coach.

"I gave him and Benny Hornby their opportunities back in 2014. Dean is going to be a very good coach."

The club's other assistant, Shane Flanagan, remains under a ban from a head-coaching role by the NRL until the end of 2021.

Webb said on Thursday the club would not approach the league on his behalf, but would instead leave that to Flanagan and his manager if they wanted to.

Fitzgibbon is another likely candidate, given he still lives in the Illawarra and is highly regarded as one of the game's best coaches in waiting.

However, he has knocked back recent approaches from other clubs including Newcastle and the Warriors to honour his contract with the Sydney Roosters that ends in 2021.

Former Dragon Ryles will be another name, but he has so far been insistent he wants to honour his commitment to assist Eddie Jones in English rugby next year.

Anthony Griffin is among a host of other free-agent coaches who could be interested.

"We want to go through a fair process and I'd say we'll give ourselves until the end of the season which is six or seven weeks," Webb said.

"That gives the new coach to come in after the break.

"My discussion to Dean was to support Mary for the next few days.

"I think once the process gets put in place around the new coach and he wants to throw his hat in the ring and then."

Meanwhile Young's dad Craig will step down from the Dragons board while the decision is ongoing.

Webb also indicated the club would go down the path of a general manager of football to sit above the coach, but that would likely be employed from within.

"When I worked at the Wests Tigers I thought it kept communication to the board really strong as it came through that GM of football," Webb said.

"I think Ben Haran could actually step into the role. I don't think we need to do any major changes."

Australian Associated Press

https://www.theleader.com.au/story/6877871/mcgregor-endorses-young-as-replacement/?cs=9737

That endorsement is a good enough reason to put a line through Dean Young's name :flushed:

since77

Juniors
If the reports are correct and that he quit because of the 3 man selection panel process of Young, Flanagan and himself and he has endorsed Young as the next person to Coach the team them its obvious and not rocket science that Flanno was the underlying problem....
Mc Gregor is too stupid to remember that selection decisions were taken off him because the CEO decided McGregor couldn’t be trusted to pick a team.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Maybe, but the thing is with 3 men if Mary is not getting the selections he wants, clearly he is being outvoted 2 to 1.

SEAT 1A

Bench
Thank goodness it's over as I thought he would be head coach next year.

It was clear he wasn't up to it however, once the players give up, he really had no choice other the leave.