What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phil Gould reveals his 'lack of review' into Dragons after coach sacked

TruSaint

Referee
Phil Gould has made the bombshell revelation that his supposed review into the Dragons was basically non-existent and that he warned the club Paul McGregor's coaching reign would end badly if the club failed to act.

Gould was charged by the Dragons with a club review last year, a process that was credited with an overhaul of support staff and the addition of Sharks premiership winner Shane Flanagan as an assistant coach.

Yet Gould told Wide World of Sports that the Dragons had not been in a position to make serious, meaningful change and that as a result, his review barely scratched the surface.

McGregor was sacked by the club on Thursday, with his role filled by assistant Dean Young for the remainder of this season.

"[McGregor's sacking] was probably inevitable, given the form of the team this year and given the amount of scrutiny around this and the type of pressure that the club has been under to make a decision in this regard," Gould said on his Six Tackles with Gus podcast (listen to the full episode below).

"I think there are a lot of issues within the Dragons club that need to be addressed if they're to be a consistent and formidable team going into the future but now that this decision has been made, it might be OK for me to start to give some clarity to my review last year - or lack of review - into the Dragons' situation.

"The truth of the matter is that there wasn't really any sort of substantial review. That was discussed between [then Dragons chief executive] Brian Johnston and I at the time and sometime later, Brian Johnston resigned and went back to do other things.

"It's difficult to talk about without giving away confidences but there was no real review, or what I would call a review, and I certainly wasn't going to put my name to any document or review at that time. That's why it's been confusing for some people if a review took place.

"There were a number of discussions between Brian Johnston, Paul McGregor and myself. There were a number of things that we discussed that the club would like to do but we were unable to do.

"To be honest, the review didn't really take place in the form or the type that one would expect and certainly that I would have liked to have done. We sort of preempted that unless things changed, they could well be in this situation halfway through this year (sacking McGregor); which has eventuated, which is disappointing for everybody.

"But right at that time, the club really wasn't in a position to undergo or take advantage of any sort of extensive review into what the club needed to do into the future. But it certainly needs to do that now and going forward.

"Now they've made a decision to sack their coach and move on, now I think their real review starts and that's up to the club now I guess.

"It [McGregor's sacking] is not surprising. It's unfortunate. I would have hoped that Paul and the club would have been able to turn it around and have to avoid this type of scrutiny and this type of decision."

Gould said that he did not expect Flanagan to be enabled to succeed McGregor by the NRL, with one year remaining on his head coaching ban for breaching the terms of another sanction while at Cronulla.

"I see very little chance of that restriction being lifted," Gould said.

"He has [pleaded his case to the NRL] on several occasions, I think there have been several attempts to have the restriction lifted and it has fallen upon deaf ears.

"I guess it's only another 15-16 months before he could be a head coach and he'll naturally be in demand when that time comes around but right at the moment, from my feedback from the NRL, there's absolutely no chance of that restriction being lifted or altered.

"It's not as though he could take another role within an NRL club and be a head coach under the guise of a different definition. He's allowed to be an assistant coach right at the moment and that's all."

Former Dragons premiership coach Wayne Bennett has been named as another possible replacement for McGregor, as has former St George Illawarra player Craig Fitzgibbon, a highly-regarded assistant at the Roosters who at this stage is committed to remaining under Trent Robinson for next season.

Gould said that the external scrutiny and internal expectations lumped on modern NRL coaches were excessive and detrimental to their prospects of success; from dealing with player managers and contracts to board members and the media.

He lamented the fact that four clubs - The Dragons, Warriors, Cowboys and Bulldogs - currently have caretakers after the sacking of head coaches.

"A problem with a lot of the coaches is they get totally distracted or disorientated by all the other things that go on within a club," Gould said.

"And some clubs leave too much responsibility to the head coach. I'm not saying that's the situation in these clubs that have failed but too many of these young coaches come in after being promising assistant coaches and then they'll go through an early period of success as a head coach but over time, the role of head coach really overwhelms them.

"And a lot of the time it's because the club has placed too much responsibility with the head coach ... they just haven't organised the club around supporting the coach in every way that he needs and just having the coach coach the football."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/dragon...il-gould/d3cecfa5-b27b-48a1-a748-8273bc3f8f52

TruSaint

Referee
Is anyone really surprised? The club has been a farce since 2011.

No, not surprised but its a poor act only hours after Mary's sacking for Gus to play the media, when he was on record dozens of times saying it was a legitimate review of operations at the Club.

He is nothing but a attention seeking prick, looking to get ahead of a story that would show both the Club and he as complicit in covering up a so called professional analysis.

Low act.

Last edited:
WTF

He conducts a “review” and then tells the world he didn’t which is why he never prepared a written report.

Then he leaves more questions unanswered by not explaining why nothing could be done.

Was it the money needed to sack him?

Was it certain members of the board would not sack him irrespective of the contents of the review?

Very embarrassing for the Board, BJ and Gould himself.

No integrity Gus. You are a joke.

Heaven help Browny.

TruSaint

Referee
Gould has always been a slimey prick

Yep. We all knew it was BS.

He's covering his arse for his NZ job. Piss poor timing and if you read all the articles after the "review" makes it even worse. Im not defending the Club. They are also complicit. He didn't have to release this now and lowball everyone to save his face the day the coach was sacked.

He then says this,

"It's difficult to talk about without giving away confidences but there was no real review, or what I would call a review, and I certainly wasn't going to put my name to any document or review at that time. That's why it's been confusing for some people if a review took place."

So, I will create a massive story to cover my arse, I will say enough to suggest it was all bullshit, but I won't put my name to any document.

Just STFU Gus ...

Last edited:

ChocOConnor

Juniors
I told anyone who would listen there was never a review. It was a chat with 2 players and a wink wink nudge Nudge for a mate.
A bit of spin and when asked about review he Gus the dog that he is Would not comment.
I put it to him on Twitter and asked him specifics and told him I know for a fact no reviews was done. Basically told me to F off and barred me.

Now we know why Webb couldn’t find the review. We all were taken for a ride. Gus thinks he is untouchable but may be he should think when he was the panthers coach what transpired and why he has blood on his hands.

I have a total dislike for Mary but for Gould to just throw him under a bus is typical of the human lice he is

The Badger

Juniors
Phil Gould has made the bombshell revelation that his supposed review into the Dragons was basically non-existent and that he warned the club Paul McGregor's coaching reign would end badly if the club failed to act.

Gould was charged by the Dragons with a club review last year, a process that was credited with an overhaul of support staff and the addition of Sharks premiership winner Shane Flanagan as an assistant coach.

Yet Gould told Wide World of Sports that the Dragons had not been in a position to make serious, meaningful change and that as a result, his review barely scratched the surface.

McGregor was sacked by the club on Thursday, with his role filled by assistant Dean Young for the remainder of this season.

"[McGregor's sacking] was probably inevitable, given the form of the team this year and given the amount of scrutiny around this and the type of pressure that the club has been under to make a decision in this regard," Gould said on his Six Tackles with Gus podcast (listen to the full episode below).

"I think there are a lot of issues within the Dragons club that need to be addressed if they're to be a consistent and formidable team going into the future but now that this decision has been made, it might be OK for me to start to give some clarity to my review last year - or lack of review - into the Dragons' situation.

"The truth of the matter is that there wasn't really any sort of substantial review. That was discussed between [then Dragons chief executive] Brian Johnston and I at the time and sometime later, Brian Johnston resigned and went back to do other things.

"It's difficult to talk about without giving away confidences but there was no real review, or what I would call a review, and I certainly wasn't going to put my name to any document or review at that time. That's why it's been confusing for some people if a review took place.

"There were a number of discussions between Brian Johnston, Paul McGregor and myself. There were a number of things that we discussed that the club would like to do but we were unable to do.

"To be honest, the review didn't really take place in the form or the type that one would expect and certainly that I would have liked to have done. We sort of preempted that unless things changed, they could well be in this situation halfway through this year (sacking McGregor); which has eventuated, which is disappointing for everybody.

"But right at that time, the club really wasn't in a position to undergo or take advantage of any sort of extensive review into what the club needed to do into the future. But it certainly needs to do that now and going forward.

"Now they've made a decision to sack their coach and move on, now I think their real review starts and that's up to the club now I guess.

"It [McGregor's sacking] is not surprising. It's unfortunate. I would have hoped that Paul and the club would have been able to turn it around and have to avoid this type of scrutiny and this type of decision."

Gould said that he did not expect Flanagan to be enabled to succeed McGregor by the NRL, with one year remaining on his head coaching ban for breaching the terms of another sanction while at Cronulla.

"I see very little chance of that restriction being lifted," Gould said.

"He has [pleaded his case to the NRL] on several occasions, I think there have been several attempts to have the restriction lifted and it has fallen upon deaf ears.

"I guess it's only another 15-16 months before he could be a head coach and he'll naturally be in demand when that time comes around but right at the moment, from my feedback from the NRL, there's absolutely no chance of that restriction being lifted or altered.

"It's not as though he could take another role within an NRL club and be a head coach under the guise of a different definition. He's allowed to be an assistant coach right at the moment and that's all."

Former Dragons premiership coach Wayne Bennett has been named as another possible replacement for McGregor, as has former St George Illawarra player Craig Fitzgibbon, a highly-regarded assistant at the Roosters who at this stage is committed to remaining under Trent Robinson for next season.

Gould said that the external scrutiny and internal expectations lumped on modern NRL coaches were excessive and detrimental to their prospects of success; from dealing with player managers and contracts to board members and the media.

He lamented the fact that four clubs - The Dragons, Warriors, Cowboys and Bulldogs - currently have caretakers after the sacking of head coaches.

"A problem with a lot of the coaches is they get totally distracted or disorientated by all the other things that go on within a club," Gould said.

"And some clubs leave too much responsibility to the head coach. I'm not saying that's the situation in these clubs that have failed but too many of these young coaches come in after being promising assistant coaches and then they'll go through an early period of success as a head coach but over time, the role of head coach really overwhelms them.

"And a lot of the time it's because the club has placed too much responsibility with the head coach ... they just haven't organised the club around supporting the coach in every way that he needs and just having the coach coach the football."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/dragon...il-gould/d3cecfa5-b27b-48a1-a748-8273bc3f8f52
Thanks Phil.Seems like you were the main one playing games with the supposed review.Dont for a minute think that I was fooled into thinking that you were doing anything positive for the club.Anyone could see that the problems stemmed from the board,through coaching staff ,recruitment and onto the playing group.All levels were incompetent and never was there a strong enough component of the organisation to take the reins and say enough .It seems Gould was brought in as a smoke screen to appear as though something was being done .
We don't need anyone coming in appearing to help or twisting the truth.Unfortunately Rugby League has now bowed to the not almighty Dollar.Is there some honest,competent Rugby League administrators and Coaching personell out there to revive this once wonderful Club.The supporters are still here and the 18 year old young men ready to put on that hallowed jersey.Lets see you stand up.

TruSaint

Referee
I told anyone who would listen there was never a review. It was a chat with 2 players and a wink wink nudge Nudge for a mate.
A bit of spin and when asked about review he Gus the dog that he is Would not comment.
I put it to him on Twitter and asked him specifics and told him I know for a fact no reviews was done. Basically told me to F off and barred me.

Now we know why Webb couldn’t find the review. We all were taken for a ride. Gus thinks he is untouchable but may be he should think when he was the panthers coach what transpired and why he has blood on his hands.

I have a total dislike for Mary but for Gould to just throw him under a bus is typical of the human lice he is

Yeah, i think 99% of forumites knew is was exactly what you said. It was blatant.

Problem is, both CLUB and GUS made a huge story about it. GUS rode it for all its publicity as a saviour. Print media, TV, social media.. You name it.

Gus to Saints rescue.

Your last paragraph is spot on.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
No, not surprised by its a poor act only hours after Mary's sacking for Gus to play the media, when he was on record dozens of times saying it was a legitimate review of operations at the Club.

He is nothing but a attention seeking prick, looking to get ahead of a story that would show both the Club and he as complicit in covering up a so called professional analysis.

Low act.
Ive missed your analyst bud.....

Gareth67

First Grade
Good lawd , that is bad timing , a bit like washing your dirty clothes without any OMO or FAB and saying that they are clean . :flushed:

Walpole

Juniors
Damn, he could have just come out and said "I'd like to confirm I'm a lying sack of shit." Would have been shorter.

Funny story - I'm not on twitter much but I was blocked by one Phil Gould after ridiculing him for his lack of review...

Latest posts