What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Annoying Trends In Modern Videogaming

Eelementary

Post Whore
I felt compelled to start this thread, because my NBN has been down for maintenance since 8am this morning (and will likely not be available until 5pm), and as a result, I have been unable to play NBA 2k20 MyCareer, because 2k decided that you must have an active internet connection to play the damned game.

What a stupid idea - I don't even play online.

What other modern videogame trends are downright annoying?

Danish

Referee
Lack of creativity in sandbox side missions. Far too many games seem to have only like 4 kinds of side missions that they just repeat over and over and over again in order to pad out the amount of time a game takes to complete

Eelectrica

Referee
Games being released in a broken state. Yes every complex piece of software is going to contain always contain a few bugs and 100% bug free is impossible, but some releases have been let out far too early. I'm sure QA catches them, but upper management take the approach of train won't stop, release now, patch later.

I always like when a company says they're delaying the release for a few months to iron out some critical issues. Cyberpunk for example is currently slated for release in November now, I don't expect it to be bug free, but it will be playable, I expect bugs to be more of the minor annoyance type than complete show stoppers that force the game to be put away for a few months until it's playable. Guess we'll see.

But yeah, games that are online only is a big no no for me as well.

Last edited:

nöyd

Staff member
I felt compelled to start this thread, because my NBN has been down for maintenance since 8am this morning (and will likely not be available until 5pm), and as a result, I have been unable to play NBA 2k20 MyCareer, because 2k decided that you must have an active internet connection to play the damned game.

What a stupid idea - I don't even play online.

What other modern videogame trends are downright annoying?
Do you need an active connection for the whole duration of playing the game? Or do you just need a connection to start that particular portion of the game? (and then disconnect once started).

I only ask because in the past I have taken my laptop to work to show the boys something from Steam, and all I need to do is activate a hotspot on my phone to start the game, and then disconnect.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Do you need an active connection for the whole duration of playing the game? Or do you just need a connection to start that particular portion of the game? (and then disconnect once started).

I only ask because in the past I have taken my laptop to work to show the boys something from Steam, and all I need to do is activate a hotspot on my phone to start the game, and then disconnect.

Apparently, 2k saves your entire career on the 2k cloud.

I can't even start a new career - the mode is blocked, because I need internet access.

I recall buying a game a few years ago, and my internet was down, and I couldn't play the game, because I needed to download an update before playing.

I had the physical PS4 disc, but I couldn't play the game, because my internet was down.

I find the whole thing a bit silly.

soc123_au

Staff member
Apparently, 2k saves your entire career on the 2k cloud.

I can't even start a new career - the mode is blocked, because I need internet access.

I recall buying a game a few years ago, and my internet was down, and I couldn't play the game, because I needed to download an update before playing.

I had the physical PS4 disc, but I couldn't play the game, because my internet was down.

I find the whole thing a bit silly.
Gran Turismo Sport is the same. I play a lot in the online mode, but in the campaign part it wont save if you have no connection. I was pissed the other day as I'd gotten a car as the daily mileage reward that I'd been lusting for, connection dropped out & I lost it. Replayed to hit the miles & then got a shitbox I already have multiples of.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Gran Turismo Sport is the same. I play a lot in the online mode, but in the campaign part it wont save if you have no connection. I was pissed the other day as I'd gotten a car as the daily mileage reward that I'd been lusting for, connection dropped out & I lost it. Replayed to hit the miles & then got a shitbox I already have multiples of.

I hate that! Why do they insist in doing this crap?

Although, I couldn't get into Gran Turismo Sport; I love the old system (get a licence, buy a second-hand car, win money, buy new car, upgrade car). Gran Turismo Sport was different.

soc123_au

Staff member
I hate that! Why do they insist in doing this crap?

Although, I couldn't get into Gran Turismo Sport; I love the old system (get a licence, buy a second-hand car, win money, buy new car, upgrade car). Gran Turismo Sport was different.
I only got it about 2 months ago. I'm really enjoying the online part of it. I'm not that good at it, but I'm still happy battling in the middle of the pack in the daily races.
The campaign mode isn't as good as previous games, but I imagine that will be rectified in GT7 later this year.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I only got it about 2 months ago. I'm really enjoying the online part of it. I'm not that good at it, but I'm still happy battling in the middle of the pack in the daily races.
The campaign mode isn't as good as previous games, but I imagine that will be rectified in GT7 later this year.

Yeah, I agree with you there.

The online races were heaps of fun.

I hope GT7 rectifies it - the campaign modes from GT to GT5 or so were a lot of fun.

There are few things quite as satisfying as upgrading a car to the point you can win a major race.

Danish

Referee
Yeah, I agree with you there.

The online races were heaps of fun.

I hope GT7 rectifies it - the campaign modes from GT to GT5 or so were a lot of fun.

There are few things quite as satisfying as upgrading a car to the point you can win a major race.

also being able to buy all these ridiculously bland cars that a lot of us realistically owned or perhaps lusted over.

Nothing gave me more of a thrill than in GT2 when I could buy an old ass 80s nissan Silvia and do it up. Or beef up a Mitsubishi Mirage so it could crank out 300km/h on the speed ring

Eelementary

Post Whore
also being able to buy all these ridiculously bland cars that a lot of us realistically owned or perhaps lusted over.

Nothing gave me more of a thrill than in GT2 when I could buy an old ass 80s nissan Silvia and do it up. Or beef up a Mitsubishi Mirage so it could crank out 300km/h on the speed ring

Yes!

I still remember buying a Pajero Sport in GT2, and modding it to the point it was cracking 250 kph, and winning me Sunday Cups with ease!

THOSE were the halcyon days of GT!

Danish

Referee
Yes!

I still remember buying a Pajero Sport in GT2, and modding it to the point it was cracking 250 kph, and winning me Sunday Cups with ease!

THOSE were the halcyon days of GT!

Haha oh man the Pajero.

playing around with gearing ratios, suspension, and aero settings to try and max out cars was about my favourite thing to do in GT2. I managed 400km/h in a series 6 RX-7 and just about cried (only cracked it by a very fortuitous draft just as I was approached top speed).

even other pointless tasks like doing rally races in cars that have no business on a rally track - 80s supra, 200sx, that sort of thing - were also great.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Haha oh man the Pajero.

playing around with gearing ratios, suspension, and aero settings to try and max out cars was about my favourite thing to do in GT2. I managed 400km/h in a series 6 RX-7 and just about cried (only cracked it by a very fortuitous draft just as I was approached top speed).

even other pointless tasks like doing rally races in cars that have no business on a rally track - 80s supra, 200sx, that sort of thing - were also great.

400! Whoa!

GT2 was so much fun - I remember when I unlocked the rally Beetle (4wd, with about 200bhp), it was my favourite car...until I unlocked the Alfa Romeo rally car!

I remember I won a Taisan STP Dodge Viper, with about 700bhp, and it was undriveable; it had so much power to the rear wheels, it would just fishtail like crazy.

I found some settings for it online one day, put them in - and the beast was tamed!

Such a great game!

Danish

Referee
400! Whoa!

GT2 was so much fun - I remember when I unlocked the rally Beetle (4wd, with about 200bhp), it was my favourite car...until I unlocked the Alfa Romeo rally car!

I remember I won a Taisan STP Dodge Viper, with about 700bhp, and it was undriveable; it had so much power to the rear wheels, it would just fishtail like crazy.

I found some settings for it online one day, put them in - and the beast was tamed!

Such a great game!

haha yeah was a total fluke. I think my previous best speed for that car was like 360s, so obviously some sort of physics engine thing with drafting that made it work.

I think i remember that viper. Was a complete beast. I primarily just sold those cars when I won them if I could race them. Like the HKS drag car. Those 250,000 credits were put to much better use buying old MR2s and corollas and all other POSs.

Eelementary

Post Whore
haha yeah was a total fluke. I think my previous best speed for that car was like 360s, so obviously some sort of physics engine thing with drafting that made it work.

I think i remember that viper. Was a complete beast. I primarily just sold those cars when I won them if I could race them. Like the HKS drag car. Those 250,000 credits were put to much better use buying old MR2s and corollas and all other POSs.

The Viper looked so badass - it was black, and red -, but it was impossible to drive.

I had to adjust the toe and camber angles, the gear ratios, the suspension, and the braking - but it became drivable!

Man, Gran Turismo 2 was so much fun!

The_Frog

First Grade
Games being released in a broken state.
I beta tested Caesar 4 in the mid 2000s. The game was nowhere near ready but it had a release deadline and the parent company were insistent. So released it was. Some of the worst bugs were fixed in the single patch, but the campaign editor that came with it was never fixed and there are many problems with the game to this day, graphically gorgeous though it is. Word got out and it didn't do well in terms of sales anyway, certainly compared to its predecessors.

Eelectrica

Referee
I beta tested Caesar 4 in the mid 2000s. The game was nowhere near ready but it had a release deadline and the parent company were insistent. So released it was. Some of the worst bugs were fixed in the single patch, but the campaign editor that came with it was never fixed and there are many problems with the game to this day, graphically gorgeous though it is. Word got out and it didn't do well in terms of sales anyway, certainly compared to its predecessors.
Yeah this days it's Q/A that cops the bagging, but they're not the people setting release dates or deciding on the priority of when the bugs they find get fixed.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Another thing that really, really bugs me - in NBA 2k20, in order to unlock certain items of clothing, you need to level your character up, by playing online.

I don’t want to play online - stop trying to force me to play online.

My created career character looks basic because of that, but I'll be damned of I am forced to play online.

abpanther

Staff member
Lack of creativity in sandbox side missions. Far too many games seem to have only like 4 kinds of side missions that they just repeat over and over and over again in order to pad out the amount of time a game takes to complete

Yeah this is become a real issue, the side missions in some games have become very tedious and definitely feel like filler material. As much as I loved RDR2 I was getting that vibe with some of the missions

Latest posts