What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Coach 2021 and Beyond

Who do you want to see as Dragons coach?

• Total voters

Mjab

Juniors
Of available coaches in this list, Paul Green is the only one that ticks the boxes I would look at: experienced as a head coach, proven success (3 finals appearances, 2 gfs and one premiership in last 5 years), a current NRL coach, no affiliation with the club at all, track record of blooding juniors.

Green doesn’t sound too bad put like that

But he did have the 2 JTs. Which we don’t have and a terrible looking last 18 months

Does anyone know what the real story going on up there was , did the playing group just hate him

Mjab

Juniors
i smell a big finish to this season for us.
We will be a tough team to meet for a while hopefully.
I'd love to sneak into the finals without McGregor. It would be gold.

But that would mean Young gets next years gig

Maybe if that happened and we play a good style of footy that’s his reward

Flanagan is signed only for 2020 isn’t he?

Young Flanagan or Griffin for 18 months only

See how they go and Get Fitzgibbon 2022 if not a success

dragonreddy

Juniors
Geez I dont understand the push for Griffin,this bloke brings a lot of baggage ,which is something we can do without.
I posted on here many years ago re Griffin ,that he seems to have away of losing the players confidence ,back in 2013 I worked with a bloke that was close mates with several Bronco players and they couldn't cop him ,and apparently that was pretty unanimous.

His exit from Penrith wasn't exactly stellar ,and the fact that he bagged Gus but still took his payout says a lot.
His coaching roots start a fair while ago ,and he is a miserable prick at best ,the club could definitely do way better than let him in to coach.

SAP58

Juniors
My two cents worth....from what I have read the NRL have indicated it is not interesting in talking about an early return for Flanagan so he is out, don't have any enthusiasm for Griffin, if they are looking for an experienced coach I don't think they will go for Payton or Young. You cannot deny the wraps Fitzgibbon gets from numerous people and he is accredited with the person who has developed the Roosters defense which is impressive and he has served his apprenticeship so would not be classed as inexperienced. Piggy Riddell has said on radio this afternoon he things if given the job (not just asked to apply) he would take it. So Fitzy would be my choice as his association with the club is a long time ago, if not I would go with either Toovey or Green as I think Wane pulled out of the Warriors role when he resigned with English Rugby League. Assuming Green is well advanced in discussions with Broncos, Toovey is last man standing and I would be too upset with that as will rattle a few cages no doubt !

Crush

Coach
But that would mean Young gets next years gig

Maybe if that happened and we play a good style of footy that’s his reward

Flanagan is signed only for 2020 isn’t he?

Young Flanagan or Griffin for 18 months only

See how they go and Get Fitzgibbon 2022 if not a success
Its a bit of a win win from here on in I reckon.

Dragon David

First Grade
If they could successfully head Hunt him, I’d go with Fitzgibbon with Griffin as his senior assistant/adviser.

In all likely probability I’d say it will be Dean Young with Flanno as his assistant/advisor on a 1 year deal.
There certainly seems to be plenty of potential candidates that have announced their unavailability, hopefully some are telling porkies & apply in strict confidentiality.
This!

citizen

Juniors
Saying greens success is only because of JT is a like saying Phil Jackson couldn’t coach because of Jordan.
He has proven himself on every level being lower grades, assistant or nrl coach.
He may just need a freshen up and a new challenge.

In saying that Fitzy would be my first choice but we could do a lot worse than Paul Green.

Mjab

Juniors
Fitzgibbon with Flanagan there to assist for 1 y would be a good option if he can leave Chooks
We still have an experienced coach to assist

Surely what are Fitzgibbons options otherwise if he wants to be a head coach
Saints are the best option
He lives locally
There is connection club
If he doesn’t take it he could be looking at a lot worse options in a few years with StG position already filled and Robinson still young and not likely going anywhere soon

Hopefully piggy is right
Most clubs give there blessing to an assistant moving on and up ?

Dragon David

First Grade
Shepherd is also an assistant who they hired when they brought over Flanagan. Young has been there from the very beginning and is part of the problem, not the solution to the problem.

I can't think of one thing that he has done as an assistant coach that has given me confidence his appointment was other than because of nepotism. I am sure the right move would have been to have a professional and experienced NRL coach lined up to take over at the point in time when Mary was sacked. In this way the new coach would have the next 6 weeks to sort out the 2021 roster and to plan remedial action to take care of the ill-discipline, lack of enthusiasm and discontent currently apparent within the squad.

Last night showed me that even without T Sims, Vaughan, Ford, De Belin and a replacement for James Graham, the boys could more than match it with a top 4 contender. So pointing to a squad of harmony in a farewell game for the sacked coach is ludicrous.

I'd say nepotism is at play and there for all to see. The ground is being prepared to appoint Young as head coach even though he is surely not the best man for the job.

To me it is another backroom deal where Young gets the head coach position and Millward gets the newly created General Manager Football position. I mean how many new positions need to be created to satisfy Millwards career ambitions?

To me it all points to a Flanagan Head Coach for 2022. As it is unlikely that his ban will not be lifted for 2021, Young will continue to be the caretaker coach until the end of 2021. During the latter period of the 2021 competition, Flanagan will be announced as the Head Coach from 2022 going forward with Dean Young to either get another gig elsewhere or remain as assistant coach to Flanagan and Shepherd there as well.

Because of Flanagan's ban, he might as well stay at the Dragons, unless another club offers him overs to be their assistant coach which I would doubt.

If Flanagan did not have this ban for 2021, I am sure he would have been asked to take over in 2021 with Dean Young being the caretaker for the rest of 2020.

All this is only my opinion of course.

Dragsters

First Grade
Geez I dont understand the push for Griffin,this bloke brings a lot of baggage ,which is something we can do without.
I posted on here many years ago re Griffin ,that he seems to have away of losing the players confidence ,back in 2013 I worked with a bloke that was close mates with several Bronco players and they couldn't cop him ,and apparently that was pretty unanimous.

His exit from Penrith wasn't exactly stellar ,and the fact that he bagged Gus but still took his payout says a lot.
His coaching roots start a fair while ago ,and he is a miserable prick at best ,the club could definitely do way better than let him in to coach.

Sacked from two clubs, it's no wonder he's still without a gig.

We must do better than Griffin...

getsmarty

Immortal
McInnes wants Young's fight in Dragons
  • NRL
    r0_0_800_600_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Skipper Cameron McInnes will miss interim coach Dean Young's first day in charge of the Dragons.
    Cameron McInnes won't be there for Dean Young's first day in charge but the St George Illawarra skipper is certain the coach's steely resolve makes him the right man to lead the Dragons.

The heart and soul of the Saints on the field, McInnes gave departing mentor Paul McGregor the jersey off his back as his parting gift on Friday night.

It began a big week for the Dragons hooker.

McInnes' fiancee Rachel is due to give birth to the pair's second child on Monday, the same day Young will lead his first session in Wollongong.

"Deano's a tough man but I think he will give me that one," McInnes said.

"It will be an exciting day for me and my partner, I'm looking forward to it."

McInnes was as rattled as any player by McGregor's exit and for a long time has been one of his closest allies.

He credits him with turning his career around, bringing him from South Sydney where he was struggling for game time at the end of 2016.

"He gave me my first jersey at the club and the last time I played under him I wanted him to have my last jersey with him as my coach," McInnes said.

"I owe him everything.

"Mary always had faith and belief in me. Even when others didn't as much he still wanted to bring me to the club.

"And the way my life has turned out since I came to the Dragons.

"My partner and I are engaged, we've bought a house, we have a baby.

"I'm a big believer that everything happens for a reason and since him bringing me to the club I feel very blessed."

But McInnes is as aware as anyone time won't stand still for the Dragons after McGregor.

On the field, the captain won't ask Young to move him back to hooker - insistent he is happy playing at lock or dummy-half.

The club is already beginning their search for a new coach, while Young can prove his case with three big weeks against the struggling Queensland clubs.

But in Young the Dragons have a man players already know well, having been on McGregor's coaching staff since his first full pre-season in charge in 2015 after being a part of the club's 2010 title success.

"The way he played as a footballer, he brings that work ethic and that toughness as a coach as well," McInnes said.

"As a player he would be the first to admit that his game wasn't built on talent, it was built on hard work and he drives that message into us players every day.

"It's a very good message because even (against Parramatta), there was nothing special about that game tonight.

"It was just about hard work, it was just about getting the win. That's the biggest thing, his toughness. He obviously got that from his old man (Craig)."

Australian Associated Press
https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6880188/mcinnes-wants-youngs-fight-in-dragons/?cs=14326

possm

Coach
My bet is we will use Young with Flanno as his assistant for 2021 with Flanno to take over for 2022. It’s not what I want but I think it’s what we will get. Unless we can somehow convince Fitzy to come.
Wane is clearly out of the running but he would be my pick. Hopefully we at least court him. I’m not interested in Toovey or Griffin. Paul Green I would entertain but I’d say he’s waiting for Seibold to go.
That is provided that Flanagan is happy with that arrangement. His contract only runs up to 1 Nov 2020 and maybe he will field better offers.

possm

Coach

If Young is given 2021, you won't get rid of him. He will use Mary's playbook to get an extension; may even use the same dodgy lines.