What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"IN WANE WE TRUST" ................ Shaun Wane that is.

St Georgio

Juniors
For me Shaun is what Mundine used to say "The Man", day by day, moment by moment, I feel the Dragons should take the punt and sign him to a 2 year deal. Then I would like to see Dean Young have crack after Wane, there you have it, the coaches for the next few years done!

possm

Coach
For me Shaun is what Mundine used to say "The Man", day by day, moment by moment, I feel the Dragons should take the punt and sign him to a 2 year deal. Then I would like to see Dean Young have crack after Wane, there you have it, the coaches for the next few years done!
Why does Young need to keep hold of the SGI apron strings? Let him go to the ESL and prove himself there like so many of Australian coaches have done. Your suggestion only serves to reward the curruption and nepotism rife in our Club.

Runner

Juniors
I can't for the life of me understand why people are so high on this guy...he might be a great man manager I can't comment on that but people mentioning his 68% win record should realise that anything less would probably be considered under achieving as the coach of one of the big three in the Super League...Basically if your not coach of Wigan , Leeds or St Helens your just making up the numbers...ever since Bennett left we have been a complete basket case and the last thing I would be doing is handing the reigns over to someone who has never had anything to do with the NRL..I think we need a proven NRL standard coach and not someone coming from England trying to prove he has what it takes to make it...who that is I'm not sure but I pray the club gets it right because I don't think I can put up with another seven years like the last seven...

Only 4 clubs have won the title in ESL or earlier equivalents in the past 25 years. You basically have to be a coach of one of them to be in with a chance Of winning as there is no real salary cap as I understand it. This gives you about a 25% chance of winning each year if you are a coach of one of the top clubs.

Winning percentages become a bit less relevant under these circumstances.

It places a question mark on Wane coaching in a very much more competitive environment.

Fitzgibbon would likely be the best choice if Flanagan is not able to coach but how he would react to the pressure of head coach in a club that has significantly underperformed for a decade is unknown.

Dragsters

First Grade
Only 4 clubs have won the title in ESL or earlier equivalents in the past 25 years. You basically have to be a coach of one of them to be in with a chance Of winning as there is no real salary cap as I understand it. This gives you about a 25% chance of winning each year if you are a coach of one of the top clubs.

It places a question mark on Wane coaching in a very much more competitive environment.

Fitzgibbon would likely be the best choice if Flanagan is not able to coach but how he would react to the pressure of head coach in a club that has significantly underperformed for a decade is unknown.

Not sure how that could make Fitzgibbon the best choice.

He certainly has the potential to become a quality first grade coach, more potential than Young has demonstrated to date.

Wane on the other hand, is a proven first grade coach and a multiple champion, albeit in a less competitive comp but he is a winner with extensive experience.

For mine, that makes Wane the best choice by some margin...

TruSaint

Referee

I must say I didn't know that stat about only clubs winning it in the past 25 years.

You are correct.

And yes, it should be taken into account, and also places into perspective other past coaches in the ESL with "good" win rates.

The problem with Fitzgibbon is that we have no record at all ... yet.. All we know is that he has been in a professional system now for a few years.

Where the club is right now, it cant afford such a gamble. Had we not fooked up the last 2 appointments with extensions and a decade of failure, we would probably look at the likes of Fitzy and or Ryles.

ChocOConnor

Juniors
The second Joey johns named Fitzy as the bloke who dragons should get as a coach is the second I got turned off the thought of Fitzy coaching us.

Johns famous quotes
Seibold is the master tactician

Seibold will win the comp with this broncos side.

Seibold is the best coach in the comp.

Don’t know if Joey is still racking coke but he must have been on some Ketamine when making such comments

Dragonslayer

First Grade

Whilst that maybe so, the same players havent played for 25yrs. Each season, no matter what competition, there is player turn over, each time the coach has to make adjustments to the squads and game plans based on those changes.

I'm not saying Wane is the answer, but considering the type of coach we need to rebuild our culture and itentity, he's certainly has to be one of the most qualified.

St Georgio

Juniors
Craig Fitzgibbon Should never ever coach the Dragons, he is a Rooster for life, Dean Young would be my Choice a thousand years ahead of CF!
Dean Young needs to be Patient, Shaun Wane must be our next coach, then Dean Young!
Oh by the way, when big peckers intervene.....?

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
The second Joey johns named Fitzy as the bloke who dragons should get as a coach is the second I got turned off the thought of Fitzy coaching us.

Johns famous quotes

Don’t know if Joey is still racking coke but he must have been on some Ketamine when making such comments

I recall him predicting that the Rorters would beat the Dragons in the 2010 G.Final .

His reasoning was that the Dragons were far too serious at the G.F. breakfast whereas the Rorters were far more relaxed and happy .

If Bennett had his way I doubt very much if they would had made an appearance at the breakfast - instead he probably would had fed the Dragons water and bread and told them “ that there is plenty of chook available come 3.00 - all you can eat “. :rooster:

Last edited:

Runner

Juniors
I must say I don’t know the answer and I guess there are risks and negatives with every candidate just as there are some positives. I have an open mind And it would be good to think that the board are in the best position to judge each candidate on their merits.

Unfortunately I don’t have a great deal of confidence in their ability to select the best given their abysmal track record over the last decade.

Dragsters

First Grade
I must say I don’t know the answer and I guess there are risks and negatives with every candidate just as there are some positives. I have an open mind And it would be good to think that the board are in the best position to judge each candidate on their merits.

Unfortunately I don’t have a great deal of confidence in their ability to select the best given their abysmal track record over the last decade.

It's going to take some kind of awakening at board level, to gain consensus and effectively comprehend what is needed right now and make the decision that will see the club successful once more.

I like what I see of Webby of late and if he can bring the warring factions together it will be a solid start.

I for one am far more optimistic of this happening than I was this time last week...

boardlumps62

Juniors

Johns famous quotes

Can't stand Joey and his brother is also full or it.

SGMax

Juniors
No to Dean Young,
I don’t get the push for Fitzgibbon as he has had ultra cushy job at Roosters, with unlimited Cap, TPA and all of the best at finger tips. Why would we consider yet another Rookie ?
The Club had Hasler, Cleary, MacGuire all available and yet decided to rush on extending Mary for no logical reason.
Bennet as short term to rebuild and set the foundations for the future, maybe stay on as Coaching Director.
I do like Shaun Wane as a fresh start, with credentials....our squad is soft, no aggression no passion whatsoever.

btw - I’m not sold on Flanno and having to wait another 18 months to have his ban lifted and then to have him bolt will be a risk as well.

Good points FT, I'm a little undecided about Wane as his background is from a competition where defence is not as high a priority.
I like everything else I have seen / read about him but it will be a risk as to how he adapts to the NRL ruggedness and defensive systems.

Ideally I would like Bennett to return as the safest option.

Griffin would be the only other option I would consider as he was unfairly treated by the Broncos and Panthers while the teams were performing well and he seems to be able to develop the junior talent and set up a great strucure for talent to rise to the top.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Wane NRL experience: none.

Couldn’t care a less about his achievements in the ESL...reserve grade standard to Australian rugby league.

It’s a definite NO from me.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Good points FT, I'm a little undecided about Wane as his background is from a competition where defence is not as high a priority.
I like everything else I have seen / read about him but it will be a risk as to how he adapts to the NRL ruggedness and defensive systems.

Ideally I would like Bennett to return as the safest option.

Griffin would be the only other option I would consider as he was unfairly treated by the Broncos and Panthers while the teams were performing well and he seems to be able to develop the junior talent and set up a great strucure for talent to rise to the top.
My only issue with Bennett is that he's not really setting the world alight with a very very good roster at Souths. They have it all, great forwards, speed to burn, origin hooker, gf winning halfback. They should be entrenched in the top 4 for mine, not fighting for the 8.

SGMax

Juniors
My only issue with Bennett is that he's not really setting the world alight with a very very good roster at Souths. They have it all, great forwards, speed to burn, origin hooker, gf winning halfback. They should be entrenched in the top 4 for mine, not fighting for the 8.

Yes, agreed FCD, but I look at what Bennett will bring to the Dragons....apart from s title.
Bennett will fix many of the issues that are currently holding us back and set us on the path to being competitve for the title again.
1) He will organise the lines of reporting and authoruty to establish the level of influence from management
2) He will identify the weaknesses in our roster and bring in the talent we need like he did for 2009 - 2010 with the likes of Jeremy Smith, Costigan, Fien etc......
3) Bennett will get the players to play with the right attitude and to pressure the opposition with good defence and territory.
4) Bennett will clear the deadwood from our organisation and hopefully ths time we will carry that forward after his time is over.
5) We will be viewed more favourably by the corporate world.

I think we are in a hole at the moment and a long way from being a powerhouse or serious contender for the title and Bennett will put us on track faster than anyone.
We may even fluke a title like the tigers in 2005 but I value even more the status of being a contender each year.