What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL tells warriors to find a new sponsor

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
That's a massive f**king kick in the teeth for Vodafone and the Warriors. That relationship is symbiotic. And good sponsors don't just wander through the door.

LeagueNut

First Grade
Everyone is shitting on Telstra for this situation but I don't think it's that cut and dried.

Telstra have apparently had exclusivity rights since 2015. There's no way in the world that Vodafone wouldn't have known that. I reckon there would have been discussions behind the scenes for years but Vodafone have dug in their heels and Telstra have finally gone to the only option available to them.

If the roles were reversed, and Vodafone wanted to block conflicting sponsors from their competition, do you think it would be any different? No of course not.

Vodafone knew full well what they were doing by retaining their sponsorship for so many years. If the NRL were sponsored by anyone else I reckon Vodafone would have ditched us a long time ago.

Yes it all sucks for the Warriors and it's another obstacle we'll have to overcome somehow but let's not pretend that Vodafone are an innocent party in all this.

Big Marn

Juniors
Everyone is shitting on Telstra for this situation but I don't think it's that cut and dried.

Telstra have apparently had exclusivity rights since 2015. There's no way in the world that Vodafone wouldn't have known that. I reckon there would have been discussions behind the scenes for years but Vodafone have dug in their heels and Telstra have finally gone to the only option available to them.

If the roles were reversed, and Vodafone wanted to block conflicting sponsors from their competition, do you think it would be any different? No of course not.

Vodafone knew full well what they were doing by retaining their sponsorship for so many years. If the NRL were sponsored by anyone else I reckon Vodafone would have ditched us a long time ago.

Yes it all sucks for the Warriors and it's another obstacle we'll have to overcome somehow but let's not pretend that Vodafone are an innocent party in all this.
You want to explain this a bit better for me Nut?
Telstra Clear in NZ was bought out by Vodafone in 2012.
Vodafone NZ was bought by overseas investors in 2019 and is no longer part of Vodafone Group (the Global Company)
So how is this a conflict for Telstra Australia?
Are you saying that Vodafone Australia are benefitting from the naming rights even though they are no longer affiliated with the NZ company and thats why Telstra put their foot down?

LeagueNut

First Grade
Are you saying that Vodafone Australia are benefitting from the naming rights even though they are no longer affiliated with the NZ company and thats why Telstra put their foot down?
Pure speculation on my part but yes, I reckon that's the nub of it. It's the only thing that makes sense.

BLN2

Juniors
Yeah there must have been something in the contract between the Warriors/NRL and Vodafone allowing Telstra to potentially do this mid way through a deal. Otherwise there would be a court battle looming.

Still a massive dick punch in times like this, and terrible PR for Telstra. Would be bad look if it happened.

jaseg

Juniors
There's no actual conflict. They aren't competitors because they don't operate in the same markets. Vodafone Australia might be benefiting as a side effect - but they aren't affiliated with the parties involved in the contracts (not owned by the same people). They aren't a party to the contracts at all.

f**k Telstra - and frankly, f**k the NRL for letting it get beyond that point.

The only thing I can think of is a specific Vodafone-centric clause in the 'new' Telstra/NRL deal... in which case, why in the f**k would they wait 5 years only to do it at the worst possible moment for them, PR wise? I never thought I'd say this, but not even Telstra are that incompetent.

JJ

Immortal
Of course there's a conflict - the Vodafone logo and name is used, Australian consumers don't google to see there's different companies involved...

Awkward situation, not sure how it will be resolved, but we're stuck in the middle

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Im guessing this is confirmation that we will be based in Australia next year.

NRL don't want us announced as the Vodafone Warriors because everyone here in Australia will assume it is Vodafone Aus that is sponsoring us, which will then directly shit on Telstra.

If i remember correctly Manly had an issue with a betting/gambling agency at some stage being in conflict with NRL excĺusive gambling agency.

Now their home ground is LottoLand.

So we are now the Telstra Warriors?

Big Marn

Juniors
Possible replacement sponsors:
Wendy's Warriors
KFC Warriors
Woodstock Warriors
Mother Warriors
Jacks Links Warriors

The possibilities are endless?

Benek

Juniors
Whoever the sponsor ends up as, can we please be called the New Zealand Warriors? No other NRL team is named after their sponsor instead of their place.

One Warrior

Bench
There's no actual conflict. They aren't competitors because they don't operate in the same markets. Vodafone Australia might be benefiting as a side effect - but they aren't affiliated with the parties involved in the contracts (not owned by the same people). They aren't a party to the contracts at all.

f**k Telstra - and frankly, f**k the NRL for letting it get beyond that point.

The only thing I can think of is a specific Vodafone-centric clause in the 'new' Telstra/NRL deal... in which case, why in the f**k would they wait 5 years only to do it at the worst possible moment for them, PR wise? I never thought I'd say this, but not even Telstra are that incompetent.
Agree mate, we saved their competition and their TV deal and then they f**k us over like this, f**k the NRL and Telstra.

Rich102

Staff member
Telstra backs down.

Telecommunications giant Telstra has made a sensational U-turn in its decision to force out the Warriors' main sponsor - less than 24 hours after it was revealed that Vodafone would not be permitted to sponsor the embattled NRL club after this season.

As first reported by the Herald, the move was sparked by the NRL's enactment of an exclusivity clause which protects Telstra, the competition's major sponsor, from any competition - and was set to cost the Warriors at least $1 million a season.

Vodafone has been the Warriors' naming rights sponsor for 22 years but would likely have been forced to walk away from the club at the end of the season, despite still having two years on the existing contract.

The NRL's decision prompted a public outcry on Tuesday, however, with NRL legend and new Warriors consultant Phil Gould warning that rival clubs would "back the Warriors" in any dispute with the NRL.

In a statement on Twitter on Tuesday night, Telstra said it had made the decision to allow the Warriors to extend their partnership with Vodafone.

"Our sporting clubs are feeling the pinch right now and many, like the Warriors, have stepped up to support their fans and the game," the statement said.

"While our naming rights sponsorship is a big investment from us in the game and should be protected in the long term, now is not the time to be taking money out of the sport.

"Just as we've extended our sponsorships that were due to expire for 12 months to support our partners, the Warriors have our support to extend their existing sponsorship too."

Warriors CEO Cameron George said NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo confirmed to him that they had "reconsidered their position".

George would not speculate on what the long-term implications were, but is delighted Vodafone can continue as full naming rights sponsor in the immediate future.

"We're extremely appreciative to Telstra and the NRL - we can all get on with growing the game," he said.

"The whole situation with Covid-19 has been difficult for everyone.

"It was stressful enough for us without this going to happen. We draw a line and move on - it's just a memory now. It's fantastic for the club and our fans."

Vodafone spokesman Rich Llewellyn said it was "bloody great that the NRL and Telstra have found a way through this".

It was excellent news for the club, which had enough to deal with at the moment without having a major sponsorship problem on its hands.

He had only seen the Telstra tweet and not been given official confirmation when contacted by the Herald. Vodafone was still interested in how the NRL would deal with what was being portrayed as a tricky commercial conflict.

But Vodafone would love to continue on with its current naming rights deal with the Warriors, which ends in 2022.

"Kudos to the NRL and Telstra for doing what is right for the game," he said.

"And we are very pleased for the Warriors and their fans. It's awesome.

"We don't want to comment too much before we have seen all the details. But we'll definitely see our contract through until the end of 2022."

The Warriors look like they have reason to celebrate. Photo / Photosport
The Warriors are 12th on the NRL table after winning just five games so far in a turbulent season that has seen them relocate to Australia due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

In June the club sacked head coach Stephen Kearney, before recently being snubbed when they offered the role to interim coach Todd Payten.

Nathan Brown was last week confirmed as their new coach after the club lost key playmaker Blake Green.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12357669

LeagueNut

First Grade
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-investigates-pangai-jnr-third-party-deals-20200822-p55ocx.html

New Warriors pathways boss Phil Gould turned troubleshooter during the week and has already covered his wage many times over. The news that Vodafone was being forced out as naming-rights sponsor turned around in less than a day after Gould used his media connections to highlight what a bad look it was. The club learnt a strong lesson in his value.

The NRL has been dealing with the issue for some time. They told the Warriors of the need to phase out Vodafone as a naming-rights partner in 2018. For almost three years they have been working with the club so Vodafone could remain a partner. The Warriors and Vodafone couldn’t reach an agreement.

COVID-19 was the catalyst for further conflict when the Warriors’ home games were moved to Australia. Telstra was always supportive of the NRL working with the Warriors to modify the partnership to keep Vodafone’s investment in New Zealand only.