What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zac Lomax

getsmarty

Immortal
In-form Lomax chasing team success for the Dragons
Dragons Den
r0_175_3511_2232_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Elusive: Zac Lomax. Picture: NRL Imagery.

St George Illawarra centre Zac Lomax has declared individual praise futile if his team is unable to secure the two points each week.

The 20-year-old was outstanding in Saturday's loss to the Sharks, scoring a double, setting up another and regularly threatening with ball in hand.

The first of his four-pointers was one of the better tries that will be scored all season, while he produced a miracle flick pass that sent winger Mikaele Ravalawa crashing over in the 57th minute. Ravalawa will have scans on a knee injury suffered in the second half.

Lomax's performance was another reminder why many have hailed the youngster as the next Mark Gasnier, however the centre revealed he is more interested in team success than individual plaudits.

"I'm just trying to do my role for the team," Lomax said. "As a team, we've got things we need to work on.

"I'm just trying to do my role best for the team, whatever that is. I just need to make sure I'm competing on every play and doing whatever my role is for the team."

Lomax converted Ravalawa's try from the sideline to cut the deficit to four on Saturday night, the Dragons recovering from another mid-game slump.

Despite leading 14-6 after 20 minutes, St George Illawarra trailed 22-14 at the break, with Aaron Woods crashing over soon after the resumption to extend Cronulla's advantage to 14.

It was the second-straight week the Dragons had dropped off after a solid start, with the Sharks doing just enough to close out the game in the last quarter.

Both Matt Dufty and Jason Saab had chances to level the scores in the final three minutes, however they were unable to ground the football.

That error aside, Dufty was outstanding for St George Illawarra on Saturday.

While Lomax and Dufty were locked in a battle for the fullback role throughout the pre-season, the pair have built a promising combination in recent weeks.

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor said the emerging backs are reaping the rewards of the effort put in on the training paddock.

"They're two of the young guys that are going really well," McGregor said.

"That's on the professionalism they're showing. Duft's moved down to Wollongong, he's closer to the training base, he trains early and leaves late, he does extras, he works hard with the assistant coaches.

"Zac, I don't think he goes home. He's there the whole time. It's the way they really apply themselves to their trade through the week and they're getting the results on the weekend.

"It's a bright future for them two guys in the club."

Lomax has also benefited from a consistent run in the top grade, with injuries hampering his development in previous years.

The Temora product has played every game this year, the last nine at centre, and he credited the stability for his impressive form.

"It's a pleasing thing to be able to play in that consistent position and develop some good combinations with my inside and outside players.

"I feel like each week we're developing better combinations and the camaraderie at training, especially down that right edge, and the left edge is doing a good job as well.

"I feel like we're heading in the right direction. Consistency is a big thing in rugby league and we're developing that."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...chasing-team-success-for-the-dragons/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Lomax wins NRL.com's Try of the Week
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Tue 28 Jul 2020, 02:54 PM

Zac Lomax is putting together quite the highlight reel in 2020 and his superb solo try off a chip and chase against the Sharks was as good as anything he has produced.

The classy Dragon has collected the Drinkwise Try of the Week award for round 11 courtesy of that effort and there's sure to be plenty more four-pointers to come.

In a tight vote it was Lomax getting the nod on countback just ahead of Reagan Campbell-Gillard, who lived every prop's dream when he powered 50 metres and stood up Wests Tigers fullback Adam Doueihi to score a classic at Bankwest Stadium.

The other contenders in a round packed with sensational tries were Lomax's team-mate Mikaele Ravalawa and Storm halfback Jahrome Hughes, who linked with Ryan Papenhuyzen to bamboozle the Broncos defence.

Drinkwise Try of the Week
Which four-pointer was the best?

Drinkwise Try of the Week Which four-pointer was the best?
  • Zac Lomax
    35%
  • Mikaele Ravalawa
    13%
  • Jahrome Hughes
    17%
  • RCG
    35%
7,386 Votes

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/07/28/lomax-wins-nrl.coms-try-of-the-week/

Datramp

Juniors
Seeing Rumors that Zac was outside the bubble at the football and coffee shops in Temora. Not sure how whether true or not but it will be big blow if they are.

redv13

Bench
Had a nice little chuckle this morning reading an article on Zero Tackle about the top 10 most improved players since 2018/19 and number 1 was good old Zac Lomax. Eat a fat one Gitano you absolute flog!!! The author of the article is a mad sharks fan!!

gitano

Juniors
Had a nice little chuckle this morning reading an article on Zero Tackle about the top 10 most improved players since 2018/19 and number 1 was good old Zac Lomax. Eat a fat one Gitano you absolute flog!!! The author of the article is a mad sharks fan!!
Who's the person that runs that site?

Presumably another fan, like you.
Unfortunate thing with the digital age - everyone has a voice and platform, regardless or how invalid their opinions may be.

The good stuff gets lost in the noise of the clueless.

I have a good filter though, and would never visit zero tackle, much less quote from it.

redv13

Bench

Unfortunate thing with the digital age - everyone has a voice and platform, regardless or how invalid their opinions may be.

I have a good filter though, and would never visit zero tackle, much less quote from it.
Ha haha you’re such a flog. Eat it up sweety

Splinters

Juniors

That's something I like, the diversity of opinion. God knows why anyone would disapprove of that. Except for tyrants, I mean.

SnowDragon

Juniors
I predict Lomax to be a future club captain. Give him about another 3 years and he will be in the running.

he is long term, and with some consistency in the right position is really showing his natural skills. In addition he talks well, hence I can’t argue with your prediction.

that said, McInnes is a champ, and his leadership is impressive. To say more I’d need to be 8nternal to the club. :thumbsup:

possm

Coach
he is long term, and with some consistency in the right position is really showing his natural skills. In addition he talks well, hence I can’t argue with your prediction.

that said, McInnes is a champ, and his leadership is impressive. To say more I’d need to be 8nternal to the club. :thumbsup:
I like McInnes at lock as he really does a great job in defence in the middle and provides good short runs and off-loads in attack. However, I would not be surprised to see McInnes move on in time, I mean who thought Frizell would leave?

Some time ago I predicted Zac Lomax to follow the path of Changa Langlands who was a great centre, fullback and Club captain.

The Badger

Juniors
I predict Lomax to be a future club captain. Give him about another 3 years and he will be in the running.
Yes Possum agree Lomax is captain material .To overcome the poor treatment dished up to him last season and now be the most exciting prospect we have seen in a long time is something special.Each week he grows in skills and competence.Very pleased to see him settled at centre,I bet Rava is too,probably a major reason for Rava finding form and confidence.
It's interesting Lomax was picked to be fullback at start of season.He is probably now the best fullback in the club.Great under high ball,wouldn't get ragdolled,can run a hole,strong defence,can setup outside runners,opportunist,great talker,courageous,becoming elusive,creates opportunities for other players.

RufusRex

Post Whore
Lomax isnt captain material at all ... Too nice ... too polite

Captain needs to be a middle and in the ear of the refs all game ... that is not him.

I love how he is still Slomax to the Git even though he is often top 5 fastest in the weekend rounds.

RedV Resurgence

Juniors

Captain needs to be a middle and in the ear of the refs all game ... that is not him.

I love how he is still Slomax to the Git even though he is often top 5 fastest in the weekend rounds.

Reflection of the individual and he's football wisdom, or otherwise.

The Badger

Juniors

What current successful captains are in the middle and always in the refs ear other than Smith.
Not really much of a stretch to suggest that Lomax could be captain one day...look at Croker at the Raiders you'd think that Lomax can follow a similar path (hopefully he will make rep teams)
He has signed up for 5 years.Someone must have faith in him and he must have faith in St George.He is repaying the faith.Now Dragons need to support him by recruiting and developing some better quality team mates .Newcastle are building a team around Ponga,Penrith are building around Cleary.Lomax is almost as influential as them because he has X factor .Like Ponga he is difficult to pin down because he is unpredictable.Something has changed big time with him as he was previously very predictable.Wait until he gets a quality running fiveeighth or Clune feeding him.