What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Position Did You Play?

boardlumps62

Juniors
Thank god for this thread because the first lot of selections in our new world order were anything but exciting.

So many great posts along with great names and to think what they got out of the game compared to these so called stars and overpaid flops of today.
There were two other guys I played against household names depending who you followed one Phil Hawthorne and another Ian Martin a tough nut from Manly. Memories OT

redVinme

Juniors
Great thread.

de la salle/milperra colts in juniors.
Mostly up front

Lock/back row in reggies and lock/prop in A's.

Bit younger than some so never played with any of those iconic names but best played with/against probs Jake friend and Cody walker

High School League - A little centre, mainly a ball playing lock, and 2nd row.

Grade League - Lock and 2nd Row.

Played 2 games of union to help a mate out due to shortage of players at Breakaway

_Johnsy

Referee
League - Started off fullback/centre, as I grew morphed into 2nd row then prop.
Union - Centre, then 2nd row.

Ended up being 6’ 4 by the time I was 18, was always going to end up in the pigs.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Interesting the number of folks in here who have played both league and union, but we’re (mostly) a league mob in here..

Interested to hear rationale why both codes were played..

For me Union was a school thing, league once I got a bit older..

But drifted back to union after uni.. Particularly when I moved to Melbourne as union was more developed than league down here..

Found union the more enjoyable game to play, but league the better game to watch..

Saint Pedro

Juniors
Interesting the number of folks in here who have played both league and union, but we’re (mostly) a league mob in here..

But drifted back to union after uni.. Particularly when I moved to Melbourne as union was more developed than league down here..

Found union the more enjoyable game to play, but league the better game to watch..
With you Muzz, union was fun, league was serious; never understood every rule in union though.

blacksafake

First Grade

Had to play union in high school & hated it. The coach used get the pits with me because he wanted me to kick all the time but I would rather run or use the men outside me.

Old Timer

Coach
There were two other guys I played against household names depending who you followed one Phil Hawthorne and another Ian Martin a tough nut from Manly. Memories OT
Hawthorne was great and I used to go the Hawthorne Club lunches at the Newcastle Club which were fund raisers for school rugby
The chairman of the company I worked for in fact was instrumental in getting Hawthorne into rugby rep honours and told many funny stories about young Phil.

Ian Martin a real hard but of which Manly had a few.

As I said earlier look at what they gave to the game and what they got out of it and look at this mob today and it’s enough to make you spew.

Bring back the biff and > 60% would cry and want their mummy.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Great player Ian Martin. Now there’s a tough tackling five-eighth! Hated Manly, but loved watching Martin. A bit like Saint’s Poppa Clay, hard as nails and great link men.
I shudder to think how he would treat some current day five- eighths if he got his hands on them.

Latest posts