What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Dean Young

Gomarchin

Juniors
It’s a 3 way mix. Bit of Pricey, bit of Mcflop and a touch of Deano. Dragons footy 101
Does this mean Deano will finish off the job Pricey and McWrekor started 9 years ago???

I recall McWrekor in his first interview after knifing (sorry) took over as coach that he wanted to finish the job he and Pricey had started but I'm starting to think that the 'job' is converting the once great club into 'Illawarra'.

Happy to compete.

George Sancti

Juniors
You can add Hasler to that list.

Did John Jansen ever coach?

Thanks SBD82 , I wasn’t aware that Des Hasler was a school teacher and not sure about JJ.

You have now started me thinking of how many former or older coaches either came from teaching, the police force or other professions before the game became fully professional.

Today, many of the coaches have not developed skills outside of a football environment. They finish their playing career, become a lower grade or assistant coach and then when they get their big break in the top grade, many fail to deliver.

I suspect that some potentially successful football coaches would benefit from a former career which required the development of communications, negotiation or leadership skills.

Mjab

Juniors
Anyone who thinks an apprenticeship under the peanut is good experience for a head coaching role is delusional

He was allegedly responsible for our piss poor defence last year

Was he the attack coach before Flanno recently took over this role?

Flanno was initially defence , so was Young attack?

At least Ryles went to learn under the best and to a degree Hornby

thebigredv

First Grade
I feel comfortable with Young as the interim coach - it's a win-win.
I do not feel comfortable about him being considered as the full time coach. He may end up a great coach but right now we need to secure a quality and somewhat experienced head coach, preferably with achievements under his belt.

Our board like to do what's easiest. So i'm worried.

W.Smith

Juniors
This is gonna be interesting with Dean Young as Coach, Wayne Bennett always reckoned he would be the Coach at Saints one day and as a personal; favourite of mine i hope he goes great and he gets an okay run to sytart with vs Broncs/Titans at home and the Cowboys which would have to be three games they would like their chances of winning

possm

Coach
Thanks SBD82 , I wasn’t aware that Des Hasler was a school teacher and not sure about JJ.

You have now started me thinking of how many former or older coaches either came from teaching, the police force or other professions before the game became fully professional.

Today, many of the coaches have not developed skills outside of a football environment. They finish their playing career, become a lower grade or assistant coach and then when they get their big break in the top grade, many fail to deliver.

I suspect that some potentially successful football coaches would benefit from a former career which required the development of communications, negotiation or leadership skills.
A good coach needs teaching skills and the capacity to be able to plan. Being a good orgreat player is not go if you can't pass on or teach players as a coach.

Mjab

Juniors
This is gonna be interesting with Dean Young as Coach, Wayne Bennett always reckoned he would be the Coach at Saints one day and as a personal; favourite of mine i hope he goes great and he gets an okay run to sytart with vs Broncs/Titans at home and the Cowboys which would have to be three games they would like their chances of winning

I hope he proves some of us , including me wrong, and I’d like to see some good wins like last week continue

The problem I have with Young is he was a shit assistant coach last year with defence and I suspect but don’t know he was the shit attack coach for the start of the year until Flanno took over
Trained under the peanut
Only knows Dragons footy and we know where that gets us

He might be a top guy and try hard but so was Mary apparently
I respect him as an ex warrior player who busted his arse for the club on busted knees and got us home in 2010
Sadly I thought Mary was a good guy taking over after Price and helping out the club
Instead 6 years of pain

I want a coach from outside the club
Bennett or Fitzgibbon are my personal preferences
I know many disagree

I don’t believe anything Bennett says about future coaches after Price
Or Gould for that matter .

I know for a fact from 2 mates of Gus that Gould thought Mary was a nice bloke but an absolute joke for a coach . He wanted Mary kept so it was an easy 2 points when Penrith played saints.

blue bags

First Grade
Anyone who thinks an apprenticeship under the peanut is good experience for a head coaching role is delusional

He was allegedly responsible for our piss poor defence last year

Was he the attack coach before Flanno recently took over this role?

Flanno was initially defence , so was Young attack?

At least Ryles went to learn under the best and to a degree Hornby
yes agree, deano assistant, to griffo, , with a touch of hornby

Mjab

Juniors
We need to get him a motivation mat for the change room like the one that Mary took Home when he left
That’s all he needs to turn this around

The Badger

Juniors
Reality, he needs to go now!
There was a brief period recently that the Dragons appeared to be competitive even against some better sides.I can only put that down to Flanagan having a greater influence over proceedings with selections and particularly attack.Now that Young is in the driver's seat it looks like Flanno has been relegated to the rear of the car.Strange decisions appearing.Why would you pick Brittan when you have 2 eighty minute hookers on the field particularly when their is a big problem with forwards gaining advantage in attack and defence.?Why so much ball to Lawrie when he cant pass,cant offload and causes no strain on defences.Why keep Lawrie on the field when gassed becoming an easy target for smart dummy halves ?Why no emphasis on directing attack across to Lomax and Ravalawa instead of Our Blake Lawrie centre Aiken.?Why persevere with Norman when he doesn't seem to understand the role of a modern day fiveeighth. The modern fiveeighth is intense, multiskilled and able to control a number of tackles in a set e.g. Keary, Luai.
Did Young think he could just waltz in and only make one change,that being take away the Flanagan influence.?That looks another bad decision by board to put a premiership winning coach as assistant to McGregor and Young who would have to be threatened by his presence.
We could even be in a worse position than pre McGregor exit.A proper decision on a coach going forward was required,not a used bandaid from the previous coaching team.

Latest posts